E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

I have it on my 545. I drove a loaner 528 that did not have it during a service visit and was amazed at how quickly I had gotten used to it. When I first started driving it, I didn't realize how much of a difference it makes, but when you get in a non-AS car and have to make hand-over-hand 780 degree steering wheel revolutions to make a 90 degree turn with your car, you REALLY appreciate having the AS. I would get it again.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

As others have said, if you've never owned it, you'll never miss it . . .

But, I also agree that once bitten, it's hard to live without. I've had AS on my two E60s and when I drove a 7er without recently, it felt absolutely pre-historic.

I think that if you get AS, you'll be happy that you did. If you don't get it, you won't miss it and you'll be happy that you saved the money!!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

It makes a 4000lb sedan feel like a go-kart - AS is phenomenal, and I highly recommend it.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Members

I love AS on my 545. However, it comes in most handy parking the car in parking lots, which is a very small part of my driving. If I understand correctly, as speed increases, the difference between having it and not is small.

If the $ it adds to the lease is affordable, I think it's a no-brainer. If it adds financial struggle, it may not be worth it.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I have had a 2004 545 and now my 2008 550 without AS. I passed in 2003 when I ordered because the AS felt terrible to me. I did test drive a 550 and a 535 this past fall when I ordered my 550, both with AS. Granted my test drives likely didn't do the system justice, but just sitting at a stop light, the response from the AS felt way too light, almost twitchy for lack of a better description. I can't say I am in a lot of low speed manuvering situations (parking lots) where it would come in handy so I passed. But to echo what others have said, I don't have it and therefore don't miss it. Those who have spent extensive time with it seem universal in their agreement that it is a great offering. I will say that the base steering package is still very good and in no way does the car feel like a 4,000 lbs sedan. Granted I turn my steering wheel a lot more to make a tight, low speed turn, but we're not talking a John Deere kind of feel...
Old 03-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Members

Have 75,000 miles on my 05 545ia sports. AS is the best feature on the car. Would not own a BMW without it.
Got a 328xi loaner last week. Though lighter than my 545ia I thought it felt almost truck-like with out it. Especially did not like the return of the steering wheel when completing a turn.
Handling of the all wheel drive also once again convinced me a BMW must have true rear wheel drive to give it the proper feel and handling. That's what a BMW's about. The sports package with the rear stabilization and AS can't be beat. ACTIVE STEERING FOR ME IS A MUST!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

I have a 2004 E60 Sport. It includes active roll stabilization and active steering. There are drivers who prefer more direct action steering for track driving, which is perfectly understandable. My E60 is a daily driver, and sees the track only rarely.

With active steering, I thought it was overly sensitive at first, but it has grown on me. I appreciate having active steering in the following situations:
- Urban, in-city driving; parking areas - low effort
- Highway on and off-ramps; especially those with changing radius - steering wheel input produces an almost intuitive vehicle direction change
- Dodging potholes at urban and highway speeds - precise tracking over/around potholes, especially if lane change is not an option (dense traffic)
- Dodging objects at highway speeds, scenarios: vehicle in another lane drives over an object, and object then shoots across the highway lanes in front of your vehicle; snow chunks/ice sheets/payload/debris originating from vehicles ahead of you; windy days with all kinds of city debris swirling in the air (aluminum cans, plastic cups, cardboard, newspaper, thin pieces of wood with nails/screws attached etc)
- Cross-wind and truck ruts on the highway - vehicle tracks straight ahead, with active steering making the minor and frequent angle adjustments
- Driving a sport sedan with summer tires in winter snow, slush and ice - the active steering and dynamic brake control works really well for yaw control

--Victor
Old 03-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vkhong' post='540390' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:11 PM
- Driving a sport sedan with summer tires in winter snow, slush and ice - the active steering and dynamic brake control works really well for yaw control
Driving a car with summer tires in wintry conditions is dangerous and plain stupid. Without question. Summer tires have no adhesion in these conditions and nothing can make up for that.

In some regions, if you have an accident with summer tires in wintry conditions, you are automatically at fault.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by vkhong' post='540390' date='Mar 5 2008, 11:11 PM
- Dodging objects at highway speeds, scenarios: vehicle in another lane drives over an object, and object then shoots across the highway lanes in front of your vehicle; snow chunks/ice sheets/payload/debris originating from vehicles ahead of you; windy days with all kinds of city debris swirling in the air (aluminum cans, plastic cups, cardboard, newspaper, thin pieces of wood with nails/screws attached etc)
--Victor
+1 - Had similar experience only last week, a big metal (size of a small washing machine) off loaded from a trunk travelling in the opposite direction, the object bounced like a pebble in the water, crossed the central break & headed straight into my path. Although I had only one had on the steering wheel at the time & travelling on the opposite direction, I was surprised how agile my E60 was in dodging the object across the lanes & I am convienced the AS had its part to play and saved me thousands in repair costs.

But more importantly I love the AS in city drive & for parking - exactly what it was made to do.