E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please bear with me; I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum, and I have reviewed almost all the posts.

I'm coming out of a 2005 545 lease, and just leased a 535i (reasons for this over 550 to be posted separately). Options include sport package, etc. I also ordered AS after test driving (short test drives) a 550 with AS and 535 without, both with sport packages.

Given short test drives and divided opinions on this board, as well as the fact that many of the "debates" were prior to the many SW updates that have significantly changed this option over time, I'm curious to hear current opinions-do you prefer it, would you order it again, etc.? Your input would help greatly as my car is not yet in production and if need be, I could cancel the option. My greatest concern is that steering is obviously one of the biggest reasons we love BMWs, and I don't want to make a three-year (lease) mistake (anything that detracts from the steering).

Of note, dealers in NJ do not seem to be ordering the option for their stock cars as reportedly it has plummeted in popularity. However, I would defer to the opinions of people on this board over the opinions of the general population/auto magazine reviewers!

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Members

My Ride: Fast!

Originally Posted by StevenFW' post='539703' date='Mar 4 2008, 05:40 PM
Please bear with me; I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum, and I have reviewed almost all the posts.

I'm coming out of a 2005 545 lease, and just leased a 535i (reasons for this over 550 to be posted separately). Options include sport package, etc. I also ordered AS after test driving (short test drives) a 550 with AS and 535 without, both with sport packages.

Given short test drives and divided opinions on this board, as well as the fact that many of the "debates" were prior to the many SW updates that have significantly changed this option over time, I'm curious to hear current opinions-do you prefer it, would you order it again, etc.? Your input would help greatly as my car is not yet in production and if need be, I could cancel the option. My greatest concern is that steering is obviously one of the biggest reasons we love BMWs, and I don't want to make a three-year (lease) mistake (anything that detracts from the steering).

Of note, dealers in NJ do not seem to be ordering the option for their stock cars as reportedly it has plummeted in popularity. However, I would defer to the opinions of people on this board over the opinions of the general population/auto magazine reviewers!

Thanks!

Hi StevenFW and welcome to the forum!

I just got out of a 530i sport no AS lease and bought a 2005 545i with AS. I personally love it, I like being able to serpentine around sharp corners and never remove my hands from the wheel. When parallel parking it is amazing. Some say you loose the direct feel of the road and steerage, and I agree to a small extent, but I am willing to trade!

Enjoy your new ride and the improved gas mileage!
Old 03-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Members

my '08 550 has it, my wife's '08 535 sport doesn't. I like the AS better than not having it. If I never had it, I wouldn't know any better and be satisfied with the feeling and additional wheel travel as in the 535.

She typically doesn't drive my car and is perfectly ecstatic with hers as is!
Old 03-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i silver grey, 6spd, comfort seats, L7, sport, cold weather, rear heated seats

I have it and recently drove another bmw without. Personally, I don't think I can ever get another car without it.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

I liked mine more before Progman 26 - after that the steering lightened up a bit too much.

Still, I think I would have to order it again and finding a car without it would probably be a deal breaker. Just love the control.

PS - at $1,400 dealers are not ordering it, its not that people don't want it, its just that these cars are getting really expensive and as BigWhup said, if you ended up getting a car without it and had never had it, you wouldn't miss it. So in the end fewer people have it because of the dealers ordering.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I have it and LOVE it. I will get it again in a heartbeat as long as BMW offers it.

There is a surprising ignorance at dealerships about the benefits of AS. BMW goes so far as to say that it is the most significant advance in auto engineering since ABS. But my local dealer says it's good for SUVs to park but not great for cars. I just scratched my head and held my tongue.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rparik01' post='539728' date='Mar 4 2008, 06:00 PM
I have it and recently drove another bmw without. Personally, I don't think I can ever get another car without it.
man after my own words...I have to agree.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by StevenFW' post='539703' date='Mar 4 2008, 05:40 PM

Thanks!
I love it on my 550i. I had my car in for service and got an e-60 loaner without the AS and that simply solidified my appreciation for it. When you have it and drive with it every day, you don't realize how good it is. That is unitl you drive one without it and then you really appreciate it.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:39 AM
Senior Members

I drove two 5ers with AS for several weeks and then one 5er sans AS for another week (all LCI).

At the end of the day, while I didn't mind AS terribly, I found it somewhat artificial in feeling compared to the non-AS car.

I have had the 550i now since 23.10.2007 and am quite happy with my decision not to include it.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='539996' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:39 AM
I drove two 5ers with AS for several weeks and then one 5er sans AS for another week (all LCI).

At the end of the day, while I didn't mind AS terribly, I found it somewhat artificial in feeling compared to the non-AS car.

I have had the 550i now since 23.10.2007 and am quite happy with my decision not to include it.

I have had AS on my 07 550 now also on my 08 550. I really like it. I guess it comes down to preference. I really like the ability to steer so smoothly.

my .o2

Quick Reply: Active Steering