E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 01:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='216408
Originally Posted by sapkan' post='215436' date='Dec 25 2005, 02:02 AM
AS is great makes the car feel like a go-kart

p.s. btw it has been improved since introduced in the early e60s
Hummm? Go karts take a relatively small amout of steering-wheel movement to get a relatively large amount of wheel movement regardless of speed. AS takes a small amount of steering-wheel movement as slow speeds and a larger amount at higher speeds to get the same amounts of wheel movement. The kart parallel does not work for me in either theory or practice. My car does not at all feel like the karts I have owned and driven.

vnod,

While I agree with you that technically AS is not the parallel of a go kart's steering because the ratio changes with speed with the AS, I still think the comparison with a go kart is valid and here's why: When we try to describe the way AS feels we try to describe the DIFFERENCES from non AS cars, not the similarities. Therefore we would be talking about the slower to moderate speeds, not the faster speeds where the ratio is essentially very similar to non AS cars. I know that at faster speeds the AS's ratio is actually slightly lower than the non AS, but it is pretty close. So the real difference between AS and non AS cars is how the steering feels and responds at slow to moderate speeds, and at these speeds the AS DOES feel like a go kart where a small amount of steering wheel movement achieves the desired turn. So for these reasons I think the go kart parallel is valid.
[/quote]I see what you mean rody. I agree. Good point.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Znod' post='216487
Originally Posted by vnod' post='215476' date='Dec 25 2005, 07:00 AM
[quote name='sapkan' post='215436' date='Dec 25 2005, 02:02 AM']
AS is great makes the car feel like a go-kart

p.s. btw it has been improved since introduced in the early e60s
Hummm? Go karts take a relatively small amout of steering-wheel movement to get a relatively large amount of wheel movement regardless of speed. AS takes a small amount of steering-wheel movement as slow speeds and a larger amount at higher speeds to get the same amounts of wheel movement. The kart parallel does not work for me in either theory or practice. My car does not at all feel like the karts I have owned and driven.

vnod,

While I agree with you that technically AS is not the parallel of a go kart's steering because the ratio changes with speed with the AS, I still think the comparison with a go kart is valid and here's why: When we try to describe the way AS feels we try to describe the DIFFERENCES from non AS cars, not the similarities. Therefore we would be talking about the slower to moderate speeds, not the faster speeds where the ratio is essentially very similar to non AS cars. I know that at faster speeds the AS's ratio is actually slightly lower than the non AS, but it is pretty close. So the real difference between AS and non AS cars is how the steering feels and responds at slow to moderate speeds, and at these speeds the AS DOES feel like a go kart where a small amount of steering wheel movement achieves the desired turn. So for these reasons I think the go kart parallel is valid.
[/quote]I see what you mean rody. I agree. Good point.
[/quote]I actually noticed not having AS on my Z06 today. I changed my mind about a slow right turn today and was surprised how much I had to turn my wheel to get back on track. Faster turning at low speed is not a biggie, but, hey, at least I noticed not having AS--and it would have helped. I doubt that I ever will notice its presence or absence at faster speeds, though, since the steering-wheel movement difference between an AS car and a non-AS car probably disappears fairly quickly.