E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 05:17 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Piloti' date='Oct 8 2005, 08:56 PM
I definitely wanted this option on the car. I drove several different cars before deciding on this one. I park in an underground garage at the office, and it is sooo convenient.?
[snapback]181520[/snapback]

You know its post like this that make me feel AS is a Luxuary option, not a Sport option. Maybe this why BMWNA removed from the Sport Pack .

Very early AS was un-natural felling to me, that and all the alignment nightmares, extra gears, and a continous rotating DC motor, made me not opt for it.

DR.Z
Old 10-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='Oct 8 2005, 01:27 PM
I am currently planning not to get AS. Am I making a mistake? Is not the steering on the 5 series still perfect without it other than making parking lot driving easier.

I am trying to cut back somewhere (this seems to be one of the few cutbacks). My 550i spec with sport pac, permium sound, sat. radio, sun shades, m aero kit, comfort seats, comfort access, navigation, and head-up display is already over $70,000 MSRP.? ? ?
[snapback]181343[/snapback]

I don't think you are going to miss much more than the low-speed parking ease. The important thing that hardly ever gets mentioned in these AS threads is that aside from new 2006 sport owners, almost none of those voicing opinions has driven a non-AS dynamic drive equipped car in the US. This combination wasn't available until this spring - and you don't find them on lots. That means the body of experience that has been used to build impressions was based on drives in non-sport E60s without Dynamic Drive. Dynamic Drive -greatly reduces the required steering angle- as well.

So at speed, the steering is very responsive and requires less turn of the wheel than a non-sport, non-AS E60. Comparing an AS E60 to an SUV, or any other car is really not very telling since there are so many other factors involved.

My philosophy about the issue is that BMW deleted it from the US Sport Package for a reason (and leaves it off the M pack in other parts of the world). Who am I to argue?
Old 10-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Contributors

[/quote]

You know its post like this that make me feel AS is a Luxuary option, not a Sport option. Maybe this why BMWNA removed from the Sport Pack .

Very early AS was un-natural felling to me, that and all the alignment nightmares, extra gears, and a continous rotating DC motor, made me not opt for it.

DR.Z
[snapback]181662[/snapback]
[/quote]

It is probably right to describe it as a luxury option because it has adds a lot of convenience. However. it makes me feel like I'm driving a go-cart instead of an almost two ton car. It certainly doesn't take away any of the sportiness of the car for anyone without the skills of a professional driver (which is 99% of us). My car was built in April 2005 and it immediately felt very natural. Rather than steering around a corner, I felt like I just had to point the car and it would make the turn. I don't think I will ever drive another car that is not equipped with AS or a similar system.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by SanCarlos' date='Oct 9 2005, 08:46 PM
It is probably right to describe it as a luxury option because it has adds a lot of convenience.? However. it makes me feel like I'm driving a go-cart instead of an almost two ton car.? It certainly doesn't take away any of the sportiness of the car for anyone without the skills of a professional driver (which is 99% of us).? My car was built in April 2005 and it immediately felt very natural.? Rather than steering around a corner, I felt like I just had to point the car and it would make the turn.? I don't think I will ever drive another car that is not equipped with AS or a similar system.
[snapback]181959[/snapback]
That pretty much sums up my feelings as well. Personally, I think AS is one of the most useful yet misunderstood options on the E60.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Members

I didn't think AS was anything more than a luxury and didn't think it was worth whatever they charged for it but since it was included with the sport package I had no choice. I'm glad I have it. I might have regretted not getting it. You just notice it more at lower speeds and when parking.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Members

but if u used to the way AS works...
isnt it kinda dangerous if u drive some other cars thats without AS?
so everytime u turn u will get the angle wrong
thats why i didnt get AS in the first place
Old 10-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by timlwting' date='Oct 10 2005, 03:41 PM
but if u used to the way AS works...
so everytime u turn u will get the angle wrong
thats why i didnt get AS in the first place
[snapback]182051[/snapback]
Every car behave differently so you need to get use to one car before pushing it. So how can it possibly be dangerous, it will be dangerous if you drive a minivan the way you drive your E60.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:52 AM
Senior Members

I love AS and I think there are a lot of subtle things that happen that are transparent - more than just low speed maneuverability.

I have a sharp turn in my driveway. When I drive my girlfriends car - I do come close to running into a wall if I am not thinking. It seems so unnatural now to turn the wheel so much to turn the car. If you drive 2 cars often, I see the downside of AS. The problem is that the difference is so apparent even at low speeds (like when pulling out of a parking spot) so that you don't have to "push" the car to realize a significant difference.

Every high-end car will have something comparable in a few years so it will make the 2 car issue moot.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

LOVE THE AS! I like AS even BETTER with ARS- the combination is AWESOME. I think ARS is going to catch on as key equipment as well.

I haven't investigated....anyone know how many other makes/models have an ARS-like offering?
Old 10-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by timlwting' date='Oct 10 2005, 09:41 AM
[snapback]182051[/snapback]
Not at all!

Quick Reply: Active Steering