E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

active steering 04 545 sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i sport, 46k, titanium grey with dakota grey interior, auto stick, all options except HUD

ok Ive just got my steering box replaced and inner tie rods, I still feel a slight "kink" or ""skip" in the wheel when I turn left from a stop. My question is this, are there any idiosyncrasies that the 2004 545 sport with active steering may have. I dont feel anything at speed and Im wondering if the ratio that changes has this slight feeling at times. Its the first year of this system if Im not wrong and could it be a glitch that was worked out in later models. If not Im taking the car back again because its starting to piss me off. Please any ideas or feedback I can take as advice to dealer would be appreciated because I think the fixed the only item they figured it could be.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Schu Dog Nite' post='1031777' date='Oct 13 2009, 09:24 PM
ok Ive just got my steering box replaced and inner tie rods, I still feel a slight "kink" or ""skip" in the wheel when I turn left from a stop. My question is this, are there any idiosyncrasies that the 2004 545 sport with active steering may have. I dont feel anything at speed and Im wondering if the ratio that changes has this slight feeling at times. Its the first year of this system if Im not wrong and could it be a glitch that was worked out in later models. If not Im taking the car back again because its starting to piss me off. Please any ideas or feedback I can take as advice to dealer would be appreciated because I think the fixed the only item they figured it could be.
I faced this (always felt it turning left at slower speeds) and they ended up replacing the steering shaft, luckily under warranty. Took a couple of times, but when the technician finally felt it, the steering shaft was the diagnosis and replacing it was the solution.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i sport, 46k, titanium grey with dakota grey interior, auto stick, all options except HUD

I totally think its that also after reading some other threads, I will bring it back and get it done, its CPO so go to be covered. Thanks for your help
Old 10-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jm545i' post='1031797' date='Oct 13 2009, 10:03 PM
I faced this (always felt it turning left at slower speeds) and they ended up replacing the steering shaft, luckily under warranty. Took a couple of times, but when the technician finally felt it, the steering shaft was the diagnosis and replacing it was the solution.
Hey JM545 got a quick question. Is it more work to do steering shaft as say steering rack? Im trying to figure why they choose to fix rack and trie rods then ailgnment or could they truely not known the real problem. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Are you talkin about a knock in the active steering? There are many threads on this.
I ended up getting my steering column replaced under warranty.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Schu Dog Nite' post='1032534' date='Oct 14 2009, 08:12 PM
Hey JM545 got a quick question. Is it more work to do steering shaft as say steering rack? Im trying to figure why they choose to fix rack and trie rods then ailgnment or could they truely not known the real problem. Thanks again for the advice.
Well the honest truth is that I don't know. I'd say that on your car they probably looked at the rack first and tie rods because they didn't know what was really going on. In fact I thought that's what it was too, or some kind of fault in the active steering gearbox. When they said steering shaft I was surprised - happily as it fixed the problem of course...
Old 10-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Members

Krozi your making me think,,,could it be colum because it is knock in active steering but as JM545 said its really evident when I turn to the left at low speeds. So I think its steering shaft and or colum,,,,christ I just want fixed. Thank God its CPO
Old 10-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Schu Dog Nite' post='1032555' date='Oct 14 2009, 08:46 PM
Krozi your making me think,,,could it be colum because it is knock in active steering but as JM545 said its really evident when I turn to the left at low speeds. So I think its steering shaft and or colum,,,,christ I just want fixed. Thank God its CPO
Do you hear a tick, knock, or clunk when you adjust the steering wheel position up or down?
Old 10-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Members

no but the power switch doesnt always work, and when I shut off the car it goes down and sometimes it goes up, doesnt work like convience entry should. I figured it was minor compared to this problem. I literally have to push the switch like twice to get it to work, hard too. Thinks its the colum? Also if I turn the wheel while sitting still I can feel it
Old 10-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Schu Dog Nite' post='1032570' date='Oct 14 2009, 08:59 PM
no but the power switch doesnt always work, and when I shut off the car it goes down and sometimes it goes up, doesnt work like convience entry should. I figured it was minor compared to this problem. I literally have to push the switch like twice to get it to work, hard too. Thinks its the colum? Also if I turn the wheel while sitting still I can feel it
If your standing still and you move the steering wheel a little bit left, then right, left, right.....and so on really fast, can you hear a clunk?

Quick Reply: active steering 04 545 sport