E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active S. Malfunction, to the Dealer, Back with Damage!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

Two days ago I was so upset I couldn't even put this story on writing, haven't even took pictures not to remember the horror...

Anyways... 3 days ago, I was driving back home and about 300 yards from my house - bang! Active steering malfunction warning... (the car has 2K Miles and is a March 2007 Production), so I pull over, turn the ignition off, turn back on, same warning.

Got home, parked the car, hope tomorrow it will go away, following morning - same warning - so I decided to go directly to BMW.

My service guy was great as always, told me it can take upto 1-3 weeks, but a day later, what a surprise, he called to let me know the car is done!

I came to pick up my precious, performing the usual 'walkaround' to see no harm was done, but then I discover a HUGE dent on my back door ... I was totally shocked, my service guy saw me from the window and came right away to see what happened, He told me he's very sorry and promise to fix it and that he'll call me tomorrow to arrange the repair... confused, upset, shocked I drove back home, only to discover the following morning that my front wheel was all curb-rushed and I totally missed it at the dealer while stopping at the door dent.

Drove back to BMW so angry that morning that I almost made an accident on the way.

I called my service guy out to show him, he called the manager and they both apologized again & again and promised to fix everything until i'm 100% satisfied and compensate me with an M style illuminating door seals (they claim it's a $700 option... ) well... I dunno, both my service guy & the manager have been good to me in the past 2 years and even helped in the process of the buy-back I had on my 545i, I guess I need to let them fix it and forget it never happened, one thing is for sure, the service manager gave an order that from now on, my car will not be handled by the valet anymore and will be parked (by my service guy) in front of the main door for any future visits.

Now, should I let go or am I being too soft? What would you do?

P S

Sorry for the long story, I had to take it out and I do feel better now...
Old 06-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Seems like they did the right thing. I dont see why you shouldnt go back... Mistakes can happen and since they admit to it...
Old 06-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, Steptronic 6, Silver Gray, Black Dakota leather, Anthracite wood, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Premium Sound, pro nav, Active Steering, Park Distance, folding rear seats.

Originally Posted by Gadgets' post='302391' date='Jun 24 2006, 06:57 AM
Two days ago I was so upset I couldn't even put this story on writing, haven't even took pictures not to remember the horror...

Anyways... 3 days ago, I was driving back home and about 300 yards from my house - bang! Active steering malfunction warning... (the car has 2K Miles and is a March 2007 Production), so I pull over, turn the ignition off, turn back on, same warning.

Got home, parked the car, hope tomorrow it will go away, following morning - same warning - so I decided to go directly to BMW.

My service guy was great as always, told me it can take upto 1-3 weeks, but a day later, what a surprise, he called to let me know the car is done!

I came to pick up my precious, performing the usual 'walkaround' to see no harm was done, but then I discover a HUGE dent on my back door ... I was totally shocked, my service guy saw me from the window and came right away to see what happened, He told me he's very sorry and promise to fix it and that he'll call me tomorrow to arrange the repair... confused, upset, shocked I drove back home, only to discover the following morning that my front wheel was all curb-rushed and I totally missed it at the dealer while stopping at the door dent.

Drove back to BMW so angry that morning that I almost made an accident on the way.

I called my service guy out to show him, he called the manager and they both apologized again & again and promised to fix everything until i'm 100% satisfied and compensate me with an M style illuminating door seals (they claim it's a $700 option... ) well... I dunno, both my service guy & the manager have been good to me in the past 2 years and even helped in the process of the buy-back I had on my 545i, I guess I need to let them fix it and forget it never happened, one thing is for sure, the service manager gave an order that from now on, my car will not be handled by the valet anymore and will be parked (by my service guy) in front of the main door for any future visits.

Now, should I let go or am I being too soft? What would you do?
P S

Sorry for the long story, I had to take it out and I do feel better now...

Sounds like you are dealing with honest professionals. Things do happen and if they are welling to own responsibility, I would work with them within reason.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='302395' date='Jun 23 2006, 11:25 PM
Seems like they did the right thing. I dont see why you shouldnt go back... Mistakes can happen and since they admit to it...

yeah man you got lucky, some dealers just spit in yur engine bay, i know cause it happened to me......and plus, you got illuminated door seals..be happy man, you got off good. oh yeah. you can be as hard and as a prick as you want to the dealer only if you have something to back it up with!

-jason
Old 06-24-2006, 01:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gadgets' post='302391' date='Jun 24 2006, 06:57 AM
You're lucky! A UK dealer would claim the damage was there when the car was brought in!
Old 06-24-2006, 05:00 AM
Contributors

Actually, they do treat you nice. Are you a hot looking babe? just kidding! Enjoy that honey moon!
Old 06-24-2006, 05:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mystic Blue, Beige Leather, Sport, Premium, Prem Sound, Xenon, Nav, Steptronic, Power Shade

This dealer sounds worth keeping.

They offered you something for your time and tribulations.

I have found 0 dealers in southern california that will go out of their way when they mess up.
They typically only do the minimum of what they have to....

They also said they would change a process for YOU. Most dealerships again I have dealt with dont even have an idea how to change a process. They just let bad thing happen, again and again.

Then ask us the customer to report all 5's on their survey, blah--- the survey thing is totally rigged.

Anyways, since they did fix everything for you -- i would give them the benefit of the doubt.

Also, make sure you add comments at the end of the survey so BMWNA knows what happened. (just state the facts).

Based on their actions, 5's might be warranted.
When i had my last dealer incident (everytime i take mine in -- there is an incident) --

I always get the survey call too early. (since i always have to take the car back in to fix the dealer damage)

I just tell the survey guy to call back in two weeks. (so i can give a full assessment)

good luck

charley
Old 06-24-2006, 05:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Other than the initial acts, they are treating you right. It is about a $700 after market cost to you for the ill. door sills. I have had loooong converstions with my SA over the quality, or lack thereof, of the hired help available these days. On the one hand it is partly the current younger workforce expectations (gimme, gimme and do nothing in return) and the dealers inability to meet ever increasing salary competition. As you did you have to bring these things to the senior management attention so they can at least try to fix the issue(s). They have to let bad people go and try to find better quality workers at all levels, but with labor laws as they are even that becomes harder.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

Originally Posted by colejl' post='302431' date='Jun 24 2006, 05:13 AM
You're lucky! A UK dealer would claim the damage was there when the car was brought in!
Well it's not that simple here... before you leave your car (at least in my dealership), the service agent performs about 10 min of thorough inside/outside inspection (the kind they do when you rent a car) and if the car had any pre-service damage he'll put it in writing.

So basically my service guy knew exactly that my car was 100% scratch-free prior to my visit.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gadgets' post='302511' date='Jun 24 2006, 05:59 PM
Well it's not that simple here... before you leave your car (at least in my dealership), the service agent performs about 10 min of thorough inside/outside inspection (the kind they do when you rent a car) and if the car had any pre-service damage he'll put it in writing.

So basically my service guy knew exactly that my car was 100% scratch-free prior to my visit.
Wow! Us Brits are short-changed! (again)

Quick Reply: Active S. Malfunction, to the Dealer, Back with Damage!!