E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 04:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI you all

I just ordered my 2008 E60 530xdA. I would have wanted to get Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function but it's only available with business or professional navigation systems. Is there some particular reason why BMW offers it only with navigation systems? If I have understood correctly Stop&Go system doesn't use navigation anyways.. I ordered professional radio.

I've read that some people have got fold-up mirrors in their new 2008 BMWs without ordering them, perhaps included in a package. Can it be included in comfort or advantage package even it was not mentioned on the list.

Car location in Europe.

Rdgs

M2
Old 02-17-2008, 06:19 AM
Members

Hi and welcome to forums!

ACC with stop&go uses navigation to determine which road type is used (autobahn, country road ...) and adapts acceleration and braking behavior accordingly.

Not sure about mirrors though.. I have always thought that in Europe folding mirrors are standard and you can activate key fob folding feature at the dealer if you want (like I did).

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by hillokone' post='532334' date='Feb 17 2008, 05:19 PM
Hi and welcome to forums!

ACC with stop&go uses navigation to determine which road type is used (autobahn, country road ...) and adapts acceleration and braking behavior accordingly.

Not sure about mirrors though.. I have always thought that in Europe folding mirrors are standard and you can activate key fob folding feature at the dealer if you want (like I did).

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Sorry my unfamiliarity but what does mean "activate key fob folding feature"? Well I suppose I just have to be patient one more month to see if I'll get fold-up mirrors.

Thanks for clearing me the link between navigation and Stop&Go..
Old 02-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by mikkoworld' post='532383' date='Feb 17 2008, 11:03 AM
Sorry my unfamiliarity but what does mean "activate key fob folding feature"?
In Europe you can hold the lock button longer and the mirrors will fold up.

Please update your location in your control panel so people can know how to properly answer your questions. North American cars cannot do this. Europe cars can. I know you said it in your first post but for future reference its easier if its in your profile.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mikkoworld' post='532383' date='Feb 17 2008, 09:03 PM
Sorry my unfamiliarity but what does mean "activate key fob folding feature"? Well I suppose I just have to be patient one more month to see if I'll get fold-up mirrors.

Thanks for clearing me the link between navigation and Stop&Go..
That's no problem.

If the key fob folding is activated in your car, you can fold the mirrors by the lock button on your key (press and hold the button for couple of secs). Unfolding is done by unlock button. I don't know if this feature is already enabled on European LCI models but at least I had to visit my dealer to make it active. It depends on one Car & Key memory setting which you cannot change without a trip to dealer (or access to SSS computer).
Old 02-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by hillokone' post='532334' date='Feb 17 2008, 05:19 PM

Is that really sure because it sounds a bit strange. That would mean that stop&go function could not be used without navigation dvd in the player. Example, what would happen if a new road is not on the map, the stop&go wouldn't work... Sounds a bit strange and unbelievable that must be other reasons behind the story..

Perhaps it's just trying to sell navigation!?!

Has anyone more info about this?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mikkoworld' post='534548' date='Feb 22 2008, 07:11 PM
Is that really sure because it sounds a bit strange. That would mean that stop&go function could not be used without navigation dvd in the player. Example, what would happen if a new road is not on the map, the stop&go wouldn't work... Sounds a bit strange and unbelievable that must be other reasons behind the story..

Perhaps it's just trying to sell navigation!?!

Has anyone more info about this?
I'm sorry that my response didn't satisfy your needs. Perhaps you should read at the owner?s manual. You can find the owner?s manual from this site (under information section). At least the MY2008 German manual describes the function of the ACC with stop&go (U.S manual has only ACC) and the partnership with navigation. (On German manual page 77 and on U.S manual page 70)

In short:

If you don't have navigation disc inserted (or outside the map), ACC won?t adapt its behavior based on the road knowledge of the navigation system. It tries to survive on its own without the help of navigation system (probably on some default settings). But it's quite clear that there is a connection between these two components.

I don't know if it's technically possible to install ACC with stop&go to a car without navi. Probably yes. But the functionality of the system would be only partial and that's why they won?t sell it without navigation. If you want the ACC with stop&go, I advise you to get navigation as well. I don't think there is any conspiracy behind it.

Cheers.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

I have ACC and it is a fine option IMO.

I am not familiar with the "Stop & Go" feature, however.

Can anyone elaborate? Does the 550i Sport have it?

Much obliged.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='534916' date='Feb 23 2008, 07:57 AM
I have ACC and it is a fine option IMO.

I am not familiar with the "Stop & Go" feature, however.

Can anyone elaborate? Does the 550i Sport have it?

Much obliged.
If you have a 2008 550i with active cruise, then I think you have stop and go. Go read the manual and then play with it a little on the roads. It's a great feature!
Old 02-23-2008, 06:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by hillokone' post='534861' date='Feb 23 2008, 10:25 AM
I'm sorry that my response didn't satisfy your needs. Perhaps you should read at the owner?s manual. You can find the owner?s manual from this site (under information section). At least the MY2008 German manual describes the function of the ACC with stop&go (U.S manual has only ACC) and the partnership with navigation. (On German manual page 77 and on U.S manual page 70)

In short:

If you don't have navigation disc inserted (or outside the map), ACC won?t adapt its behavior based on the road knowledge of the navigation system. It tries to survive on its own without the help of navigation system (probably on some default settings). But it's quite clear that there is a connection between these two components.

I don't know if it's technically possible to install ACC with stop&go to a car without navi. Probably yes. But the functionality of the system would be only partial and that's why they won?t sell it without navigation. If you want the ACC with stop&go, I advise you to get navigation as well. I don't think there is any conspiracy behind it.

Cheers.
Ok. Thanks. Maybe I just have to admit and live with that. I was so disappointed when I was told that I should get navigation to get ACC with stop&go. I would have really wanted that function but to get also unneeded navi (Nokia Navi) worth of 3400? was a bit too much.

Quick Reply: Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function