E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active cruise control (stop and go)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 04:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have Active cruise control & stop and go feature on my 528 xi.
Anyone knows how to deactivate active cruise control only and just use regular cruise control while cruising? or any way to cut down the distance by any adjustment in I-Drive or somewhere on controls?
The minimum distance set on ACC seems to work but some cars see space and cuts in and slows my car. annoying.
Please?
Old 04-26-2007, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aqkhan6us' post='418078' date='Apr 26 2007, 01:54 PM
The minimum distance set on ACC seems to work but some cars see space and cuts in and slows my car.
If you think BMW would allow you to set a distance less than what BMW perceives as safe you'll need to to think again...

Can you imagine the potential for litigation?

ABC
Old 04-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Mystic Blue 530i, beige/poplar wood interior, steptronic transmission, prem, sport, & sound pkgs, comfort seats, pdc, all weather mats, red reflectors, NAV, ACC, HUD, satellite radio, heated rear seats, rear sunshade, cold weather pkg, active steering

Originally Posted by aqkhan6us' post='418078' date='Apr 26 2007, 07:54 AM
Anyone knows how to deactivate active cruise control only and just use regular cruise control while cruising? or any way to cut down the distance by any adjustment in I-Drive or somewhere on controls?
The minimum distance set on ACC seems to work but some cars see space and cuts in and slows my car. annoying.
Please?

Totally agree! I asked the dealer to contact BMW and I also contacted BMW NA about modifying my vehicle to function as regular cruise control. Answer: NO.

It would be a nice feature to add a zero distance setting which would allow the cruise control to function as regular cruise control.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Auto, monaco blue met., black Dakota leather, burl walnut trim, sport package, active steering, Navi, HUD, cold weather package, comfort access, heated rear seats, rear sunshades, rear side air bags, rear deck spoiler, Logic 7 w/CD changer,
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by aqkhan6us' post='418078' date='Apr 26 2007, 08:54 AM
Please?
That's exactly the reason why I dod NOT order ACC. In the area where I live I can't even use the regular cruise control because of the traffic.

Felix
Old 04-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Felix' post='418655' date='Apr 27 2007, 07:16 PM
In the area where I live I can't even use the regular cruise control because of the traffic.
But you should be able to use Stop/Go ACC in traffic. I thought that was the point.

Maybe no-one's tried it in that urban situation yet...

ABC
Old 06-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aqkhan6us' post='418078
But you should be able to use Stop/Go ACC in traffic. I thought that was the point.
[...]
I thought so myself.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Senior Members

I have not seen a 2008 with ACC yet, but when you order ACC you do loose the basic cruise control funtions, hense that is why you are paying $2,200 for it.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

ACC & Stop and Go is made for highways/Autobahn.
In the city it is almost impossible to use!

The radar can NOT be deactivated and the minimum distance is the legal requirement in Germany and therefore can NOT be altered.

A switch to deactivate the radar and use only cruise control is one of those things MANY people world wide want, but will never get. This is to some legal problems this would cause. I had a conversation about this whith somone at the BMW HQ in Munich and it is unbelievable on how many things they have to look and they have to check. There are so many different laws, and this car is sold world wide!, that it is currently not possible to have radar and cruise control as two different things that can be used together or as stand alone.

So before ordering you need to think about where you want to use the car at most and how often you will use cruise control there.
If you travel highways a lot you might chose to order ACC with Stop and GO, but if you prefer to use the car in the city you might chose to order cruise control. For those using it mostly in the city but don't want to use cruise control there, ACC with Stop and Go might be the option to order.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Senior Members

I don't quite get it... Stop and go is for autobahn, so I assume it's for stau situations... Right? How is this different than city traffic where traffic lights and long queues are usual?

Legal problems allowing cruise control switch from active to normal and other way around? You just made me curious...
Old 06-17-2007, 03:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='436606' date='Jun 17 2007, 06:46 AM
[...]
Legal problems allowing cruise control switch from active to normal and other way around? You just made me curious...
I can imagine a serious psychological problem! Imagine that you are used to ACC and then switch to regular CC. It seems pretty easy to forget that you'd have to break to stop the car.

Quick Reply: Active cruise control (stop and go)