E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Cruise Control (ACC)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Tryed to search but didn't find any good answers.

Does anyone else than Rudy have traffic jam experiences with the ACC?

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='449777' date='Jul 19 2007, 08:02 PM
Did I mention that you still need to pay attention and not start reading the newspaper or surfing the 'net with your iPhone while driving? Good, I thought so...
I'm driving almost everyday 40-60 minutes in jammed bumper-to-bumper freeway traffic
with speeds from 0 to about 40 km/h.

Does the Active Cruise Control really work reliable?
Old 07-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='450592' date='Jul 21 2007, 12:22 PM

I'm driving almost everyday 40-60 minutes in jammed bumper-to-bumper freeway traffic

I took a highway trip yesterday -- about 600 miles total. I have some old habits I'll need to break but overall, it worked pretty well. I really do wish that BMW could find a way to allow us to disable the active part if we choose to though. There are times when it gets in the way.

My experiences in traffic, so far, have actually been pretty good. Right now, after only having the car for a week, I'd say the stop & go part is great for moderate to heavy, low-speed traffic. The faster you go, the more distance the system leaves in front of you (it calculates distance in seconds, not feet) so if you leave too much distance, people get in front of you and you're forced to slow down or override the system with the gas to maintain your speed and distance.

On the open highway, another complaint is that I stay in the right lane except to pass. As I approach a slower car in the right lane, if I don't begin to change lanes (to initiate a pass) soon enough, my car will slow down. I just have to adjust (in my brain) when I decide to change lanes. It would be nice if BMW flashed some sort of indicator a few seconds before it was going to slow down to give you some notice so you can keep things feeling smooth...
Old 07-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi (European Delivery 6/12/2007): Monaco Blue, Creame Biege Leather, Dark Poplar, Steptronic, Sport Package, Premium Package, 17" Style 243 Wheels, Nav, HUD, Active Cruise Control, Night Vision, PDC, Comfort Access, Lane Departure Warning, Cold Weather, Logic 7, HD Audio, iPod, Folding rear seats.

I used it very briefly last month in a traffic backup on the Autobahn, but really didn't have time to become very familiar with it. At first it was little disconcerting hearing the brakes being applied when it wasn't my foot doing the applying! Once the car is delivered to me in Seattle next month I'll have time to become MUCH more familiar with this feature.

2008 535xi (European Delivery 6/12/2007): Monaco Blue, Creame Biege Leather, Dark Poplar, Steptronic, Sport Package, Premium Package, 17" Style 243 Wheels, Nav, HUD, Active Cruise Control, Night Vision, PDC, Comfort Access, Lane Departure Warning, Cold Weather, Logic 7, HD Audio, iPod, Folding rear seats.

1998 BMW 540 (European Delivery 5/59/1998): Totaled 1/12/2007.

BMWCCA Member since 1998
Old 07-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Senior Members

Talking

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='450592' date='Jul 21 2007, 11:22 AM

I love it, takes some time to get to use it, This is one of the main reason I got my first BMW(528xi).

Just relax, BE VIGILANT & ATTENTIVE , Do not have to cancel, restart the cruise, saves gas & more mpg? It slows down , stops & accelerates by itself ( with the front car if it is there) . Do not have to do anything except pay attention(how many secs.I do not know). Beeps & Flashes red on display if a car cuts in & too close.

It senses the front moving car only and this is how it works. Does not work if approaching an still object /stopped car.

RELIABLE so far(got mine in April 2007), I use almost everyday. Works well in city & Highways .

The main drawbacks a) you cannot set manually the distance between your car and the car moving in front (It comes with 4-factory settings), b) sometimes annoying when a car cuts in.

Go for it.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:29 AM
Members

i live nr m1 motorway in uk - always busy, tail to tail usually 30 - 70 variable flow and in these conditions, acc is great - very easy to use - i disagree that people can cut in...if you are worried, set it to one bar which equates to only a one second gap.

takes a bit of getting used to and after a while you learn to trust it to work. only time it has lost a lock was over a sharp crest but day to day not a problem.

the issue over smoothness when approaching a slower car is annoying until you recalibrate your style & pull out sooner - flicking indicator seems to stop the car braking so you can keep a constant speed

all in all, i find it a real help on longer motorway journeys ang feel less tired after several hours than without
Old 07-22-2007, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rort1' post='450805' date='Jul 22 2007, 03:29 AM
acc is great - very easy to use - i disagree that people can cut in...if you are worried, set it to one bar which equates to only a one second gap.

all in all, i find it a real help on longer motorway journeys ang feel less tired after several hours than without
One bar setting = 1 sec, I am not sure. ? Maybe it is different for US
(Should have manual I-Drive settings for ACC instead factory Pre-Set distances / Secs)
This is still concern as someone cuts in with one bar: the car starts slow down to match the speed
or if it is too close my car beeps with red flash ( car) display and slows down.

But I agree, it is great, works reliably & I will not buy car without this feature if that car has this option & comfort Access.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Thanks guys.

If the ACC is what it should be, I'm in for a LCI E60.

Every morning bumper to bumper traffic for about 30-40 minutes makes me go crazy.
I don't change lanes! It isn't the answer to faster moving.
Lane changers are asses who make the traffic stall even worse.

Need a helicopter.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Save 30062
Old 03-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

I've followed cars that have ACC - you can tell by the number of times the brake lights come on. Most drivers would lift off the throttle and let the gap close up a bit but the ACC uses the brakes. V annoying!