E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 08:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I would have liked to order the active cruise option. But it's ?1400.

Reading the brochure it says "operational up to 2 metres away from the car ahead". 2m away. Really! I think I'd have used the brakes long before I was 2m away.

Seems to me that you want the system to be slowing you down at least 10m away.

Anyone have this option. What's it really like.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think you'll find that people that have it like it but people that don't have it don't miss it. I don't have it and I don't regret not having it one bit.

I think the biggest compliant you'll hear is that you can't bypass the "active" part and use it like an old-fashioned cruise control. If it allowed that kind of override, I'd probably get it on the next car...
Old 10-25-2004, 09:33 AM
Members

I have it, use it, and love it! You can adjust how much distance it will keep to the car in front (not in actual meters/feet, but as a relative setting -- I don't know what the settings equate to). In my opinion, even the shortest distance is too long, as other cars can easily cut in. HOWEVER, you can keep your foot on the gas pedal slightly in those situations, and it will drive up close as far as you want it too, and as soon as you let go of the pedal it will slow down to the "safe" distance. If you're not in a hurry, or prefer a rather defensive driving style, it works perfectly. I am still amazed by it every time I use it.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:21 AM
Contributors

I agree. The not being able to override the active part is annoying, mainly because we are all used to CC for such a long time now, but ACC does rock.
When driving on multi lane roads it is annoying when people cut in, but on single lane roads it works an absolute treat. The best one is in the Mont Blanc tunnel behind the trucks. Just sit and wait.

It also saved me a few times while I was on the phoneand not paying attention. All of a sudden the car started to break, making me pay attention and react. (I know, don't use the phone while driving, but I mostly have it between my head and my shoulder when I drive, make notes and use a calculator )

It is expensive, but I can definitely recommend it. It is also the best toy to show off to family and friends
Old 10-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Oct 25 2004, 02:21 PM
It is also the best toy to show off to family and friends?
[snapback]49143[/snapback]
I'd give that vote to the SMG with a close second to the HUD...
Old 10-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

It works definately. I had a testdrive with a car with the ACC and I was a bit confused by it and needed to get used to it. I didn't order it with my car because in my 3 I almost never used the CC. With my 5 I use CC 25% of the time driving so if I could choose again I would certainly get it!
Old 10-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

I use it regularly. Would I order it again? If it was in my budget, I would order it again. It was purchased for safety consideration. HUD/NAV wasn't available when I ordered my car-I would have had a hard time to pick between them. It does make driving the highway much more pleasurable.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:59 PM
Members

My Ride: (Expecting Oct. 2004) 2005 530i Sport package, premium sound package,premium package, xenon's, HUD, sat radio, cold weather package, navagation

I thougt about real hard but decided that in southern California the space I would have to leave between me and the car in front would be just enough for a car to squeeze in it would be deactivating itself most of the time.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:54 PM
JDN
Contributors

I didn't think long. I like to be in control. Besides, I rarely find anything more interesting to zero in on than the road ahead.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:40 PM
Senior Members

i didn't order it and i can't even remember when was the last time i use cc .

Quick Reply: Active Cruise Control