E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Activating BMW Assist

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d Sport, Mystic Blue, Dakota leather,Professional Navigation,BMW Assist, Blue Tooth Prep +telematics, 6 Disc Changer, ML/Alloy 8jx18", Graduated Tint windscreen, Auto-Dim Int + folding Mirrors, Comfort Seats - Electric, Through Load system inc Ski Bag, Bi Xenon Headlights plus washer system, Automatic Air Conditioning-Advanced, HiFi Speaker System, Fitted Floor Mats, clear bra

Had an SMS text message to confirm my assist account is enabled.
Problem is that when activating from iDrive the "Data Exchange Active" goes only 2/3rds of the way through before hanging. I have tried several times but same problem each time.

Part of the process must have been completed because the service profile now knows both the cars colour and registration number.

Any suggestions please.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by marksas' date='Jul 6 2005, 02:27 PM
Problem is that when activating from iDrive the "Data Exchange Active" goes only 2/3rds of the way through before hanging.? I have tried several times but same problem each time.

Part of the process must have been completed because the service profile now knows both the cars colour and registration number.

Any suggestions please.
[snapback]146338[/snapback]
Simply press the Assist button (in the headliner behind the retractable cover next to your microphone) or through the idrive menu and speak to an agent telling them you are calling in to test the system. They will tell you your location and your signal strength.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Senior Members

Ok im in the UK and i have the media package and bluetooth telematics and supposedly (i believe) BMW Assist. I even have a freephone 0800 number on the back of the keyfob to phone should things go wrong....except i see no such options in Idrive.

How exactly does one go about setting this thing up?
Old 07-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by JayJay' date='Jul 6 2005, 04:18 PM
Ok im in the UK and i have the media package and bluetooth telematics and supposedly (i believe) BMW Assist. I even have a freephone 0800 number on the back of the keyfob to phone should things go wrong....except i see no such options in Idrive.

[snapback]146369[/snapback]
Assist in NA is included free for one year with the purchase of the vehicle. The account was set up by my dealer prior to delivery. When I picked my car up, it was up and running via idrive and the button on the overhead console. I do not believe that you can set it up on your own, it must be done by the dealer.

Are you certain it is available in GB for the first year? You may need to check with your dealer on this one.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

I had exactly the same problem with a 6310i and kit in the car, on Vodafone.

I use the 'dual sim' service, so I have 2 sims.

The one I had in the 6310i was my original SIM, about 2 years old, and when I tried to activate the service the process would hang on 'data exchange active' about half way on the progress bar for a minute or two, then jump back to the menu with BMW Assist still greyed out.

After numerous calls with BMW, eventually found out that a) there is an instruction document for dealers on how to activate the service and b ) it lists known problems, 1 of which is that older SIMs are not suitable.

Swapped the SIM in the 6310i for my second SIM, which is only 2 months old....and the data exchange worked fine, BMW Assist then worked perfectly.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:01 PM
Senior Members

I'm curious, how many languages does BMW Assist support?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JayJay' date='Jul 6 2005, 11:18 PM

[snapback]146369[/snapback]
Have you signed a form at your dealers about Assist? When I got my car a few weeks back now I was in the same position as you. I phoned BMW Customer Services who said the dealer should have given me a form to sign!

Anyway the process to get your 6 months free BMW Assist is get you dealer to fill in a BMW Assist/Online request form (ticking only the Assist box) you supply your mobile number and then sign it. Dealer faxes completed form to BMW and then about 48hrs later you'll get an SMS message on your phone with your userid and password which can be used to access www.bmw-assist.co.uk

Once the SMS is received you then go into I-Drive and follow the instructions in your car handbook (the Communications section) to 'Enable Services' and the car will link up with BMW and a data exchange will take place.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by marksas' date='Jul 6 2005, 09:27 PM
Problem is that when activating from iDrive the "Data Exchange Active" goes only 2/3rds of the way through before hanging.? I have tried several times but same problem each time.

Any suggestions please.
[snapback]146338[/snapback]
How long are you waiting when you think it has hung?
Old 07-07-2005, 03:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

can anyone in the USA comment on how 'assist' works here. when i picked up my car 2 weeks ago, the dealer told me bmw will be calling me while i was in the car to activate the system....havent gotten any calls yet.
also, do we get 'assist' in the USA for free? if so, for how long? how much is it per year after the trial period? the dealer never mentioned anything about having to subscribe to it.
many thanks.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:39 AM
Senior Members

Thanks very much for info. Ill probably do this when i get back from the states at the end of august then. (No point complaining now...i might be able to get the free service from september instead of when i purchased the car). Im somewhat dissapointed that they failed to give me the form to fill in and also lied about the fact Idrive was 'upgraded to the latest version' when it quite clearly isnt (no perspective map on mine as of yet).

Also in september the 19.00 CIP is coming out so i could get all this done.

Quick Reply: Activating BMW Assist