5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Accidental Panic Attack (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/accidental-panic-attack-1173/)

JDN 05-31-2004 03:08 AM

Yesterday on a busy parking lot, my panic alarm went off unexpectedly. I know I did it, but the way it happened surprised me. I held the trunk release button down for the one thousand count and released it. The trunk did not open, so I assumed I had not held it long enough. When I went for the second press of the button, before I got through the one thousand count, the alarm went off unexpectedly. I got it shut down OK, but it is not something that I want to happen again.

In retrospect, I wonder if the remote was still hanging on to the first press when I made the second, and it added the two of them together and interpreted it as a two second drill? Anyone with a similar experience or advice.

jksanford 05-31-2004 03:22 AM

I had this happen to me as well. I think the issue is that the trunk doesn't open until you let go of the button. I was holding the button down waiting for the trunk to open when the alarm went off. Try holding it for a half second or so, then let go. The trunk will then pop open.

james

Rudy 05-31-2004 04:31 AM

This happens to me as well. There's a bit more to it than holding it down and letting go. I haven't done too many tests but it's clear to me that this is another little software bug.

Sometimes the trunk will pop right up, sometimes it won't. I think they need to add some additional delay to the panic alarm activation.

JDN 05-31-2004 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 31 2004, 06:31 AM
I think they need to add some additional delay to the panic alarm activation.

I agree that something needs to be done. The delay in the garage opener/closer is annoying, too. I want to be out of there and we have to hold the button, can't just punch it. That panic button may be a catch-22. If you have to hold it too long, you could lose the strategic timing if a true need for a panic alarm ever came along, 'specially for our ladies.

All of these buttons - panic, garage opener, etc. are likely going through a processor rather than the direct switches that we were accustomed to with the E39.

BMW525UK 06-01-2004 08:45 AM

What's this about a panic alarm ?
I never even knew my key could be used in that fashion...

Rudy 06-01-2004 08:54 AM

Not sure about the UK but here in the US, it is a standard feature and is probably part of the alarm system.

You simply hold down the trunk release button on the key and the alarm will sound.

The best use for this feature is to help find you car in a crowded lot! The only problem is you need to be fairly close to the car to have it work.

BMW525UK 06-01-2004 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jun 1 2004, 10:54 AM
Not sure about the UK but here in the US, it is a standard feature and is probably part of the alarm system.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

JDN 06-01-2004 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by BMW525UK' date='Jun 1 2004, 10:45 AM
What's this about a panic alarm ?
I never even knew my key could be used in that fashion...

If you hold down the trunk release on the key for two seconds, you will need ear protection. I recommend Peltors. :D

Rudy 06-01-2004 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jun 1 2004, 12:57 PM
I recommend Peltors. :D

Like a good shooter should!

Stu in Austin 06-01-2004 12:34 PM

Add me to the list of those who have had the "trunk panic attack"...

Agree that this is a bit annoying, because now I fear setting off the panic alarm whenever I open the trunk...