E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Accident on the 405

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 06:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i

Originally Posted by delje08' post='615076' date='Jul 2 2008, 11:07 PM
what a jerk. He was probably thinking cha-ching when you hit him, its a BMW. Careful he might have a huge medical bill and maybe a lawsuit.
This is why you should always file a police report, even if it's a small bump. With no witnesses, the cops are your only record of the accident. Unfortunately, it's your word against his. Although, if the judge drives a bimmer, I see you getting a new car, and the perp getting 30 years to life.

JJB
Old 07-03-2008, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Sorry to hear, glad to hear no one was seriously physically hurt (from the accident and the aftermath). Hope you get everything resolved....
Old 07-03-2008, 06:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

that Peeus a$$hole! Next time, install front and near cameras or setup a conventional digital camera with video format for the PROOF! I always bring my digital camera in the car so you can shot when you feel something wrong or spot an a$$hole driving.
I have had similar story in 2 occasions (a Nissan pathfinder in a avenue and a Dodge Durango in a HWY). My BMW has pretty good brakes and didn't hit them (very close and thanks to God). Obviously I was very pissed off then I footed, passed them and while they were in the rear I did the brake and footed at same time. After this I slowed and waited to see their faces.... From the nissan it was an old man and didn't dare to look at me. lol! From the durango, it was a man with a girl (I spotted the girl was yelled at him) lol.

The idea of the camera has occurred me after this. If you shoot one, bring it to insurance and police WITHOUT ANY DOUBTS!
Until now I didn't shoot one yet.

But I will install the near/front cameras soon! and it is better. It will be easy just push the button from the steering and they will record the show.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 Porsche 911 c2s, 01 BMW 740il, 05 BMW 525i, 06 Acura TSX navi

Originally Posted by jwang417' post='615061' date='Jul 3 2008, 01:50 AM
Yesterday at 7:10am, I was driving my 550i to work on the 405 North just before El Segundo Blvd. Some guy in a Prius was in the carpool lane and I was in the #2 lane. I started to merge into the fast lane (#1) and the Prius crosses double yellow and almost hits me. I see him out of the corner of my eye and swerve back into the #2 lane. Prius is honking and pretty pissed because he thinks I almost hit him. Prius is now in the #1 lane next to me and he speeds up. I get behind him (about 2 car lengths) and out of no where, he hits his brakes as hard as he can. He's skidding and I immediately hit the brakes. Too late...I hit him. I then notice that there are no cars in front of him. The guy purposely did that so I would hit him. We pull over and the damage on his car is pretty minimal. We exchange info and he goes on his way.

I notice coolant leaking so I have the car towed to Advanced Collision. Initial estimate is $2700...holy cow! That's just for the bumper. Oh well...at least I have my health.

I have a huge favor to ask and I know this is a stretch but did anyone out there witness this accident and is willing to speak up about it. It was an black 2007 550i vs. 2005 Black Prius.

What I got out of this accident...
-BMW brakes are awesome! If I was in any other car, it would have been so much worse.
-BMW assist is great. First time I used it and was very impressed.
there were no car in front of him and he braked to get you to hit him. This looks like intentional and I would have called the cop for having him cause the accident and then beat him with a wet noodle
What a jerk freaking environment friendly wanna be who doesn't even know how bad it is to dispose that prius batter when it time for a change. Far worse > driving gasoline car around. thumbs up for ur 550.
Yeah i am really surprised you are not super angry.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:48 AM
Contributors

Comments are great, but anyone see this accident on the 405?
Old 07-03-2008, 06:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by anand_rahim' post='615337' date='Jul 3 2008, 10:48 AM
Comments are great, but anyone see this accident on the 405?

You will have better luck playing the lottery than finding someone here who witnessed this.
You made a crucial mistake by not calling the police at the time of the accident.
Curious.... why didn't you?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 Porsche 911 c2s, 01 BMW 740il, 05 BMW 525i, 06 Acura TSX navi

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='615343' date='Jul 3 2008, 10:52 AM
You will have better luck playing the lottery than finding someone here who witnessed this.
You made a crucial mistake by not calling the police at the time of the accident.
Curious.... why didn't you?
i know, you should have put that guy out of road also.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

I doubt anyone would dare do that to a BMW here in Taiwan since most mafia/gangsters roll in BMWs or CLS's these days... but in case of an accident, I've learned that cops must be there in order to have the accident reported AND make sure that they have your account of the accident instead of the other person's! Also, it seems that the cops tend to write down the 'loudest participant's version so be sure to make yourself heard! LOL
Old 07-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

He did it in purpose to be able to file a claim and cash out.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 Chevy 3500 DRW: 7" lift, 35" tires, PPE stage 7, MBRP turbo-back, back-up camera, trac bars, Bilsteins. Pine air freshener.

Originally Posted by calbmw06' post='615110' date='Jul 3 2008, 02:12 AM
Hmm it would have taken a lot more to restrain me from "accidentally" hitting the gas after hitting the brake. I wonder how that Peeus would have held up to the monster kidney
Tid-bit 'O info for you. It is suggested that you slow down as much as possible before impact, let off the brakes at the point of impact, then resume braking afterward. What you suggest is kinda similar . The reason for this is so when you hit the other car, you kinda eject it away from you, and by resuming your braking after impact, you make the space even greater between the two cars. Tests show it has a distinct possibility of lessening the chance of injuries and/or their severity, and also the damage to the cars. Yours at least You just have the impact as opposed to the impact, and then the cars joining together for the rest of the ride, increasing damage and the possibility of injury.

Quick Reply: Accident on the 405