E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Accident on the 405

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday at 7:10am, I was driving my 550i to work on the 405 North just before El Segundo Blvd. Some guy in a Prius was in the carpool lane and I was in the #2 lane. I started to merge into the fast lane (#1) and the Prius crosses double yellow and almost hits me. I see him out of the corner of my eye and swerve back into the #2 lane. Prius is honking and pretty pissed because he thinks I almost hit him. Prius is now in the #1 lane next to me and he speeds up. I get behind him (about 2 car lengths) and out of no where, he hits his brakes as hard as he can. He's skidding and I immediately hit the brakes. Too late...I hit him. I then notice that there are no cars in front of him. The guy purposely did that so I would hit him. We pull over and the damage on his car is pretty minimal. We exchange info and he goes on his way.

I notice coolant leaking so I have the car towed to Advanced Collision. Initial estimate is $2700...holy cow! That's just for the bumper. Oh well...at least I have my health.

I have a huge favor to ask and I know this is a stretch but did anyone out there witness this accident and is willing to speak up about it. It was an black 2007 550i vs. 2005 Black Prius.

What I got out of this accident...
-BMW brakes are awesome! If I was in any other car, it would have been so much worse.
-BMW assist is great. First time I used it and was very impressed.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

holy cow....i can't believe you're not more pissed off....but i know that area well. i was involved in an accident going north bound near that same exact exit.

did he explain why he even hit his brakes that hard?

well glad to hear everyone is alright though. the accident i was in caused me to have to go to physical therapy for a year.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

what a jerk. He was probably thinking cha-ching when you hit him, its a BMW. Careful he might have a huge medical bill and maybe a lawsuit.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i, mystic blue metallic, black leather interior, dark poplar wood trim, premium package, navigation, iPod, park distance control, voice activation, bluetooth. Mods: Full M-Tech Kit, ACS Rep Rear Window Spoiler, ACS Rep Rear Deck Spoiler, ACS Rep Quad Diffuser, ACS Rep Exhaust Tips, Remus Duel Exhaust, De-badge, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Umnitza Predator Ice V2, HID fog lights, Clear Side Marker Light Bulbs (yellow when on), Dark Poplar Wood Shifter, Dark Poplar Wood e-Brake Handle, Dark Poplar Wood Steering Wheel Inserts, OEM Steel Pedals, OEM M Footrest, 19 inch OEM 121s (Summer), 18 inch 124s (Winter), Shadowline Window Trim, Blacked-out Kidney Grills

Originally Posted by delje08' post='615076' date='Jul 3 2008, 08:07 AM
what a jerk. He was probably thinking cha-ching when you hit him, its a BMW. Careful he might have a huge medical bill and maybe a lawsuit.
+1. A friend of mine was an insurance adjuster and he told me to ALWAYS claim whiplash in a car accident because they can not prove you don't have it. This guy obviously has issues. He could have really been hurt in the accident.

As a law enforcement type guy, my only advice would of been to call the police at the time of the accident and explain what happened. I hope everything works out for you.

I can tell you that it would have taken every ounce of self-restraint for me not to beat the crap out of that driver.

Good luck!
Old 07-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I would have been FUMING pissed, good thing it didn't happen to me. As a matter of fact, I had some idiot in a van try to pull the same thing on me. I was behind him and we were exiting, and there was no one in front. I was getting on the exit going about 60 starting to slow down. He completed comes to a stop, as mentioned BMW brakes do work GREAT, and I did stop before hitting him. It really doesn't phase me anymore, I have all sorts of stories with bad drivers in this town.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

OMG thats horrible!!! I HATE Prius's!!! now this story makes me even more angry at them.

I would love to help you but I dont think I should. I can internally send a mass e-mail to El Segundo site and post your story but that would totally be abusing company resources so i cant. But you dont know how much I want to right now just to make sure that Prius pays for his actions.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

really sorry to hear about that man. good luck.

when I read the title of the thread, made me think of today on 405 in OC area I saw a 7er hit the back of a corolla, and the 7er had more damage
Old 07-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

you sure it wasnt a white prius J/K.

need to get my brakes checked too
Old 07-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: stock non-sport alpine white '04 530i

you shouldve decked him right on the spot
Old 07-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad to hear you're not seriously hurt. Gotta start watching out for those li'l "green" cars, driving like mad men.

Quick Reply: Accident on the 405