E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Accelleration Assist

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.
Well after 7,500 miles I finally decided to give "Accelleration Assist" (as the manual refers to it) a try.
Yahooooooo!
I have always been a fan of SMG. I ALWAYS push the SPORT button - even if I have no intention of driving "spiritedly"
I do find the shifts annoyingly slow unless Sport Button is pushed.
(I NEVER use automatic mode - basically it's "wife mode")
Even at that, I have wished that it could shift quicker at times.
Well I found a way - at least when starting off.
The shifts are DRAMATICALLY different when using Accelleration Assist (as the manual refers to it).

Here's how it went:
Floor the throttle, hear the engine rev, get an odd feeling that the car isn't moving yet, around 4,000 rpm the clutch engages (i.e. drops), rear tires start chirping with a little wheel hop (very little), smile becomes unavoidable, car shifts itself @ redline (hard), rear tires "bark", get pushed back into the seat again, redline shift (hard), rear tires "bark" Again! Exceede speed that will ensure those chrome bracelets, let off the throttle, wipe stupid smile off of my face.

Summary: shifts are "very" hard. Nothing I'd want to do on a daily basis but can come in handy from time to time. Also, I heard/read somewhere that the cars computer records the number of times this is done. Not sure if that is true or not.

Best time with G-Timer w/o accelleration assist was 5.52. Will have to try it with AA if it ever stops raining here. Will post results.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Aug 21 2004, 11:55 PM
Also, I heard/read somewhere that the cars computer records the number of times this is done. Not sure if that is true or not.
Yes it's true. But the computer records almost everything, not just launches.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

If it records every time I stop to get a coffee, I'm in trouble.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:42 PM
Contributors

Be real curious to see what times you get with AA. Thanks for the numbers, and got a big stupid smile on my face reading it.

I was always wondering if the programing could be changed so that the current sport mode replaced the standard mode, and had a more agressive setting for the sport button.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Don't want to steal the thread but how the heck can you not get the headlight cleaningsystem due to other options CRrobert..??????
Old 08-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 22 2004, 01:25 AM
Don't want to steal the thread but how the heck can you not get the headlight cleaningsystem due to other options CRrobert..??????
It seems they can't order ventilated seats AND cold weather package in the US, and they can't order those cold weather package options seperate, just the package. But that's not available when ordering ventilated seats.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Aha.. I understand.. This means bmwusa doesn't want to make extra money by offering people all the options that they want..

Maybe they need a new CEO at BMW USA.. I hereby offer myself to be that person (as long as I can take my car with me there of course).
Old 08-21-2004, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 22 2004, 01:32 AM
Aha.. I understand.. This means bmwusa doesn't want to make extra money by offering people all the options that they want..

Maybe they need a new CEO at BMW USA.. I hereby offer myself to be that person (as long as I can take my car with me there of course).
You don't need to take your car... As the CEO you can get what you want... How about an "emmy" ???
Old 08-21-2004, 03:36 PM
Contributors

Okay, I'll take the job!!!
Old 08-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 22 2004, 01:36 AM
Okay, I'll take the job!!!
Too late, I've allready got it...

In my dreams...

Quick Reply: Accelleration Assist