E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Accelerator lag & quirky quick Low RPM Shifting solved w/25s Reset

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Tim
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to re-iterate to those who are suffering from slow response from the accelerator when starting off and the quirky quick shifts at low RPM from gears 1 through 4, try the accelerator 25s Reset. This might not work for all people, but give this free procedure a shot!

It worked for me. Accelerator lag is almost non-existent now. Car is holding its gears longer from 1st through 3rd gears, allowing for a much smoother and enjoyable take off. Also, the car doesn't downshift as quickly when I take my foot off the accelerator and let the car coast to a stop.

Procedure:
Turn Key to Second Position (My car doesn't have a Start Button)
Put you foot all the way down on the accelerator for 30-40 seconds.
Step on the brake and start the engine.

Thanks to all the forum members that has made my car fun to drive again!

Tim
Old 04-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Just LOVE that 25 second reset!!
Old 05-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Contributors

For the step on the brake? is this step a must? i usually do it for 40s then turn of the car, then turn it back on.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Cool! I tested it today. Awesome trick! A+
Old 05-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

Does this work for smg ?
Old 05-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Tim
Members

you'll need to step on the brake to start the car. not actually part of the reset step.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner Premium and Sport Package Comfort Access/Navigation/HD Radio/iPod/Logic 7/SAT/PDC Sprintbooster Split Second Turbo Tuner BMC Air Filter

Originally Posted by Tim' post='571600' date='Apr 30 2008, 12:41 PM
I just wanted to re-iterate to those who are suffering from slow response from the accelerator when starting off and the quirky quick shifts at low RPM from gears 1 through 4, try the accelerator 25s Reset. This might not work for all people, but give this free procedure a shot!

It worked for me. Accelerator lag is almost non-existent now. Car is holding its gears longer from 1st through 3rd gears, allowing for a much smoother and enjoyable take off. Also, the car doesn't downshift as quickly when I take my foot off the accelerator and let the car coast to a stop.

Procedure:
Turn Key to Second Position (My car doesn't have a Start Button)
Put you foot all the way down on the accelerator for 30-40 seconds.
Step on the brake and start the engine.

Thanks to all the forum members that has made my car fun to drive again!

Tim

it sounds like the 25s reset to eliminate accelerator lag does what the Sprintbooster is supposed to do. Would a 25s reset help if you've already got an SB installed?
Old 05-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Contributors

well as i said.just do it.wont hurt.dunno if it makes a difference.its free and it doesnt hurt anything.so just do it.if u feel a difference,plz tell us.thx

As for me.i installed the SB then did the reset. Dunno if it worked, didnt hear any sound that most people hear.Did it for 40s.dunno.anyhow, il love my new car.luv it
Old 05-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Members

I'm going to try this trick this coming weekend.

It will be done on a 545i auto sport pkg.

I will take it for a spin, then 25sec trick it, and drive it around again.

Then I will have my father who owns the car currently take it out with him NOT knowing what was done.

I'll see if he wants to run it a bit while taking him to Jamba Juice against my turbo car.

If he mentions anything at all, I'll post up results if it was significant enough for someone who drives rather grandpa'ish.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Honestly guys I did this about two weeks ago and truthfully speaking, I'm skeptical about a lot of things, this definitely worked.

ps: New owners should definitely do this step once they have gone through their 1200 mile break in period. Just a friendly reminder make sure that when you hold the accelerator down for 25 seconds the car is OFF. We had one person do these steps with the car on so imagine.

Quick Reply: Accelerator lag & quirky quick Low RPM Shifting solved w/25s Reset