E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Acceleration "jerky" motion

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a 2005 E60, euro delivery in 3/05, received in state on 5/05. Noticed a problem with the car having "jerky" acceleration at low (walking) speed.

Dealer has seed the cars 4-5 times, the last one waited 3-4mo until the recent sw update v20, installed it but did not make a difference.

Car runs fine after the initial (loaded) start.

Can reproduce the problem by having a "loaded" condition like turning the steering wheel hard one way and accelerate slowing. The car begins to give this "jerking" motion.

When the car accelerate hard off of stop, there is no issue.

Dealer attempted many things but yesterday they claimed that:

Dear Sir,

?

We loaded software v20 into your vehicle. The software made little or no change to the slight throttle condition you are concerned with. We then adjusted both the loaded and no-load idle levels in an extra effort to address your concern.? That did make a slight difference in smoothness. Since these adjustments have been made and all other like vehicles are exhibiting the same behavior without complaint, this condition is judged as normal for this vehicle at this time.

?

I would be happy to advise you if any changes are planned in the future which might affect the throttle application smoothness, sometimes these are released even later in the life of the car via software.

?Has any member experience the same thing?
I'm seriousely considering applying the Lemon Law to this car, I love everything else about the car, it's just that I don't think a $60K car should behave like this.

If you agree with going the lemon law route, any suggestions?

Thanx,

JC
Old 01-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Tell the dealer to check the engine oil level... might be a little overfilled...

See my thread here. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&showtop...ndpost&p=225647

Post 38 has the explaination of what was wrong... engine vibrtion at low RPMs and post 1 has description of what I thought it was initially but it wasnt the transmission it was the engine...

Soooooooo I suggest try reving your engine in neutral slowly building up the revs and see if its the same as my problem...
Old 01-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6-speed, Black Sapphire w/ Auburn, Sport pkg, Premium Sound pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Fold Down Rear Seats 1995 M3 5-speed, Silver w/ Mulberry, Luxury pkg

I have this same problem on my car. I read the above reference (post 1 in that thread) and it definitely feels like the engine is about to stall . But once you get past the 1200 rpm range, the engine is very smooth .

I haven't checked the oil level to see if its overfilled, but my question is, if there is overfill, can you just remove some oil from the oil fill reservoir or do you have to do it from the drain plug (i.e. requiring oil change)?
Old 01-23-2006, 08:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dps_1998' post='226756' date='Jan 19 2006, 08:01 PM
Have a 2005 E60, euro delivery in 3/05, received in state on 5/05. Noticed a problem with the car having "jerky" acceleration at low (walking) speed.

Dealer has seed the cars 4-5 times, the last one waited 3-4mo until the recent sw update v20, installed it but did not make a difference.

Can reproduce the problem by having a "loaded" condition like turning the steering wheel hard one way and accelerate slowing. The car begins to give this "jerking" motion.

Dear Sir,

?

We loaded software v20 into your vehicle. The software made little or no change to the slight throttle condition you are concerned with. We then adjusted both the loaded and no-load idle levels in an extra effort to address your concern.? That did make a slight difference in smoothness. Since these adjustments have been made and all other like vehicles are exhibiting the same behavior without complaint, this condition is judged as normal for this vehicle at this time.

?

I would be happy to advise you if any changes are planned in the future which might affect the throttle application smoothness, sometimes these are released even later in the life of the car via software.

I'm seriousely considering applying the Lemon Law to this car, I love everything else about the car, it's just that I don't think a $60K car should behave like this.

Thanx,

JC
I have the same problem with my 2005 545i. They also reloaded the software but no difference.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Sing' post='228292

Dear Sir,

?

?

Thanx,

JC
I have the same problem with my 2005 545i. They also reloaded the software but no difference.
[/quote]

Mine does this in the morning on cold starts. I will drive at 5 mph out of my development and when I let go of the gas the car bouces forward and backward like its going to stall. Kind of like a stick shift tranny does when you let go of the gas in 1st gear. I assume its because the tranny is cold. After I drive down the street for about 2 blocks its gone and everything is buttery smooth.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by TV550' post='228297

Dear Sir,

?

?

Thanx,

JC
Mine does this in the morning on cold starts. I will drive at 5 mph out of my development and when I let go of the gas the car bouces forward and backward like its going to stall. Kind of like a stick shift tranny does when you let go of the gas in 1st gear. I assume its because the tranny is cold. After I drive down the street for about 2 blocks its gone and everything is buttery smooth.
[/quote]

This might have to do with the extra fule that is injected into the engine during the first few minutes to warm the catalytic converter. I have the same issues, the car with a cold engine feels like riding an old donkey.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TV550' post='228297

Dear Sir,

?

?

Thanx,

JC
[/quote]
Sometimes also when in stop and go traffic if I let go of the gas pedal to creep up to the next stop it jerks a little each time I stop and go. Its not all the time but like I said it feels like a stick shift tranny in first gear when you accelerate and then release the gas pedal the car jerks a little because you did not shift into second gear.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i 6-speed Orient Blue/Auburn

Wow, also picked up (545) in March 05 through ED!

Anyway, have been complaining about a jerky ride to myself for the last few nonths. Can feel it very slightly at higher speeds but very much so at low rpm's especially with cold engine. When the engine is cold it even stalls between shifts from first to second (manual tranny) until the engine somewhat warms up.

After accumulating some problems finally took it in to the dealer and after driving a loaner for a week was told that parts are on backorder for two to four weeks for one of the issues. When they get the parts in they will re-program the computer and that will solve the jerking.

Now I'm worried they don't know what they are talking about?

Obviously there seems to be an issue here if there are so many of us having similar problems.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by travelboy' post='228265' date='Jan 23 2006, 08:40 AM
I have this same problem on my car. I read the above reference (post 1 in that thread) and it definitely feels like the engine is about to stall . But once you get past the 1200 rpm range, the engine is very smooth .

I haven't checked the oil level to see if its overfilled, but my question is, if there is overfill, can you just remove some oil from the oil fill reservoir or do you have to do it from the drain plug (i.e. requiring oil change)?

How rough is it at 1200rpms for you? Even now with the correct amount of engine oil its still a tiny bit rougher than at other rpms but no where near as rough as what it was before I really have to try to notice it now to actually feel it... other rpms its pure smooth... but I've heard that the V8 does have some harmonic resonance at 1100 or 1200 rpms so I'll buy that for now. As long as it doesnt get too rough.

As for draining the oil I'm not sure. The dealer corrected the engine oil level for me. I just measured it today with the dip stick and the oil level is a tiny bit above the half way mark so its good. Check you oil level and report back I'm curious to see what your oil level is.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Members

My 545i is a automatic, the dealer has basically threw up their hands and claim it's a "characteristic" on that series. "characteristic my ass" they have a major recall issue. Just can't get them to have the factory engineer to address the issue. A PUMA case was opened but closed with that response.

Let me know what they end up replacing in your can (manual). It may still be related.

My oil level is slightly below normal, so it's not overfilled as one had suggested.

I think it's an engine management issue and it'll take the factory designed to investigate and fiz the firmware.

JC

Quick Reply: Acceleration "jerky" motion