E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AC/Heater Fan -Default to OFF

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009 | 03:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by newt' post='878019' date='May 14 2009, 01:33 AM
I guess I don't understand why people buying $60k luxury cars prefer to deal with stuffy air. Anyone?
Stuffy air? On days like today - where the weather is absolutely perfect - I would much rather have NO ac fan running, and just have the sunroof - and maybe some windows open. Fresh, outdoor air can be quite refreshing.

I have a pre LCI e60 (2004) and when you hit OFF on the climate controls, it stays OFF. I have a new one (2010 535i) on order, and that is one "feature" I will miss.
Old 05-18-2009 | 03:47 PM
Members

I guess I just don't see the big deal. If it's a nice day, it takes a second to turn it off. It's no more time/energy consuming than clicking off the annoying lawyer screen on idrive.

Originally Posted by skierdoc' post='882425' date='May 18 2009, 04:21 PM
Stuffy air? On days like today - where the weather is absolutely perfect - I would much rather have NO ac fan running, and just have the sunroof - and maybe some windows open. Fresh, outdoor air can be quite refreshing.

I have a pre LCI e60 (2004) and when you hit OFF on the climate controls, it stays OFF. I have a new one (2010 535i) on order, and that is one "feature" I will miss.
Old 05-18-2009 | 03:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by newt' post='882447' date='May 18 2009, 06:47 PM
I guess I just don't see the big deal. If it's a nice day, it takes a second to turn it off. It's no more time/energy consuming than clicking off the annoying lawyer screen on idrive.
But in Colorado the sun shines 300+ days per year so I have to turn it off nearly everyday. Silly design INMHO.
Old 05-18-2009 | 05:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

I have everything set to automatic always and AC always on. In my opinion the car is intelligent enough to adjust everything according to the situation and so far it has been working perfectly (especially after the factory found the problem regarding odd increased speed after one hour drive during winter - it was faulty battery cable causing malfunction in the whole AC system).
Old 05-19-2009 | 02:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Miikka' post='882563' date='May 18 2009, 09:40 PM
I have everything set to automatic always and AC always on. In my opinion the car is intelligent enough to adjust everything according to the situation and so far it has been working perfectly (especially after the factory found the problem regarding odd increased speed after one hour drive during winter - it was faulty battery cable causing malfunction in the whole AC system).
There are lots of cars out there without automatic HVAC systems, when they're off, they're off so the EPA thing sounds like BS. I suspect BMW thinks if you spend $60k for a car you expect to be comfortable, at least more so than would be expected in a car half or a third its price so they "think" they should test the interior for extreme temps and correct it ASAP. I don't care for it as I'm continually turning the thing off too but understand the logic, I think. Although the AC compressor remains off only the HVAC system resets to on after a shut down (09 535i). I don't consider myself to be a normal driver and suspect most people set it and forget it. FWIW my two previous cars, Audis, retained every setting without exception.
Old 05-19-2009 | 06:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

Originally Posted by paulsp' post='883549' date='May 20 2009, 01:54 AM
There are lots of cars out there without automatic HVAC systems, when they're off, they're off so the EPA thing sounds like BS. I suspect BMW thinks if you spend $60k for a car you expect to be comfortable, at least more so than would be expected in a car half or a third its price so they "think" they should test the interior for extreme temps and correct it ASAP. I don't care for it as I'm continually turning the thing off too but understand the logic, I think. Although the AC compressor remains off only the HVAC system resets to on after a shut down (09 535i). I don't consider myself to be a normal driver and suspect most people set it and forget it. FWIW my two previous cars, Audis, retained every setting without exception.
Well I spent $71k (Finland and our expensive cars) for my quite basic car and I actually expect the car to make sure that the temperature and driving environment inside the car is optimum all the time. For me the most important setting is temperature and then secondary is the setting whether I want cold or hot air towards me. Everything else should be and is being handled by the car. Yeah, I know - I am lazy.

Maybe I am the only one who actually is very happy with the BMW HVAC and how it is always on and how it handles the situations automatically.
Old 05-19-2009 | 11:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Miikka' post='883778' date='May 19 2009, 07:07 PM
Well I spent $71k (Finland and our expensive cars) for my quite basic car and I actually expect the car to make sure that the temperature and driving environment inside the car is optimum all the time. For me the most important setting is temperature and then secondary is the setting whether I want cold or hot air towards me. Everything else should be and is being handled by the car. Yeah, I know - I am lazy.

Maybe I am the only one who actually is very happy with the BMW HVAC and how it is always on and how it handles the situations automatically.
+10
Old 05-20-2009 | 07:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by newt' post='884136' date='May 20 2009, 02:02 AM
+10
The same thing can be said for spending $71k for a car that does not even allow you to turn off the fan. Cheezy.
Old 05-20-2009 | 10:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by GregBrand' post='885115' date='May 21 2009, 11:16 AM
The same thing can be said for spending $71k for a car that does not even allow you to turn off the fan. Cheezy.
Can turn off, but by your hand only.
Old 05-21-2009 | 07:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ricky1329' post='885289' date='May 21 2009, 02:23 AM
Can turn off, but by your hand only.
Yes. Thanks what I meant to say. After all this moaning about my fan not staying off today when I started up my car guess what? The fan was OFF! First time that has ever happened.

Quick Reply: AC/Heater Fan -Default to OFF