E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AC has a mind of its own HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
owner's manual Get used to the vent settings.
My gut tells me this isn't the case... but will play around with everything over the next week or so and see what happens.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by MORI3L
So I picked up my 528i yesterday and I've got to say I absolutely loved the ride home in it. Unfortunately half way home my AC started to blow air through the top vents (I had it on blowing air towards me or the front vents) randomly and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I played with all the settings, turned the car off. The air would only blow through the top vents and would continue even if i turned the car off. When I left the car off overnight everything worked fine again...what is going on!?!!?!?! Please help

Note: The battery was recently changed, I remember seeing threads being made about AC problems after battery changes and I'm not sure if the used car dealer changed it properly before giving the car to me.
The fact that the air blows even if the car is off is a big, red flag. No iDrive setting would cause this to happen after you shut off the engine. There is a setting to turn the fan on at a pre-determined time to start cooling the car off before you get in, but what are the odds that this setting is set for the same exact time you shut off the engine? Sounds like you may have a climate control unit board ready to be swapped.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i

The dealer who sold me my car changed my battery...not sure where..

And I played around with all my vent settings....Its fine now but I would hate for it to happen again...and on a hot day
How can you not remember where you bought your car? This is very strange however chances are the dealer who installed the battery will guarantee their work so i would take it back to them and see if they registered the battery.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Originally Posted by porsche911targa
The fact that the air blows even if the car is off is a big, red flag. No iDrive setting would cause this to happen after you shut off the engine. There is a setting to turn the fan on at a pre-determined time to start cooling the car off before you get in, but what are the odds that this setting is set for the same exact time you shut off the engine? Sounds like you may have a climate control unit board ready to be swapped.
Finally someone that understands what I'm trying to say!! Could I just purchase this and swap it myself?

Originally Posted by epilithic
How can you not remember where you bought your car? This is very strange however chances are the dealer who installed the battery will guarantee their work so i would take it back to them and see if they registered the battery.
Uhhh...I remember where I bought the car...I just don't know where the dealer took the car to change my battery prior to my purchase....this is something I'm trying to investigate
Old 09-26-2011, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

I'm also reading that it could be a faulty blower motor resistor???
Old 09-27-2011, 06:09 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I'm also reading that it could be a faulty blower motor resistor???
I think a faulty blower motor resistor will just cause the air to blow very high, but the air should shut off when you shut off the engine.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Sounds like there is short in Ac/condenser circuit. You need to have the electrical checked first to make sure you dont have a short. It also make sense since your previous battery had to be replaced!

I haver seen this with flood damaged cars quiet often, perhaps it is worth checking to see if this car was a california car or was in some other state?

Just my 2cents...
Old 09-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by syrousd
Sounds like there is short in Ac/condenser circuit. You need to have the electrical checked first to make sure you dont have a short. It also make sense since your previous battery had to be replaced!

I haver seen this with flood damaged cars quiet often, perhaps it is worth checking to see if this car was a california car or was in some other state?

Just my 2cents...

It was a New Jersey car...go figure....

With that in mind how would a short in the electrical circuit be linked to battery issues???

Also the problem seems to have disappeared (for now) but I've been driving with the ac consistently on to see if it comes back. Hopefully after a week ill have some more data.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

If you have a short it overloads the circuit and draws more current from the battery which results in a short life of the battery. You can always blame it on the "ghost in the machine" of coarse!

Ofcocarse these are stipulation on my part but might worth checking!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Are you referring to the climate control on iDrive?
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]

No, I'm referring to the different types of climate control knobs available on the dashboard.
Do you have http://www.reveuro.c...bmw-545i.33.JPG
or do you have http://2.bp.blogspot...s1600/bmw02.jpg ?[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]
[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]because one of them has a built in function (in addition to the timers on the iDrive, that let the fan run when you're not in the car. Maybe it's that that is playing up...[/font]

Quick Reply: AC has a mind of its own HELP!