E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AC belt and tensioner HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 09:33 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i premium package

Originally Posted by phillipyang2
Hey guys!

So im in need of a new AC belt and tensioner for my 04 545i. I could not find a place online or local (Los Angeles Area) where they would sell them for cheap/ good price. I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier or a website i could order from.

thanks again guys
Guys!

545 DOES NOT have a tensioner for AC!!! It uses a stretch belt and you need a BMW tool coded 0062 for clamping the belt in place.

Don't try to fit a tensioner in there as you will only damage the compressor!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2016, 09:43 PM
New Members

My Ride: 04 545i premium package

Originally Posted by Cypo545i
Hey this is very helpful to me as I am trying to replace my ac belt as well because it's worn out and I can't use my ac as whenever I turn it on the belt just screeches and smokes and I don't want it to snap cus that's an unnecessary hassle. Anyway I would like to add the tensioner option to my car as it makes my life so much easier because if I ever need to replace it again I'll easily be able to do it. The thing is though I looked up those part numbers and a few websites came up and they say this tensioner won't fit my car, the 04 545i. Should I disregard that and just order the tensioner anyway? Can you confirm that this will for sure fit?
The AC compressor used in 545 requires a tension that cannot be provided by a belt tensioner since the compressor is a 6.5hp compressor. So I suggest you buy the belt clamp and don't fool yourself with a tensioner.

BTW the tool code is 0062 and I think it's way cheaper than a tensioner
Old 05-30-2016, 07:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: 05 545i

Originally Posted by Cypo545i
Hey this is very helpful to me as I am trying to replace my ac belt as well because it's worn out and I can't use my ac as whenever I turn it on the belt just screeches and smokes and I don't want it to snap cus that's an unnecessary hassle. Anyway I would like to add the tensioner option to my car as it makes my life so much easier because if I ever need to replace it again I'll easily be able to do it. The thing is though I looked up those part numbers and a few websites came up and they say this tensioner won't fit my car, the 04 545i. Should I disregard that and just order the tensioner anyway? Can you confirm that this will for sure fit?
Yes they will fit....I used the AC belt and tensioner for the 745i and they do fit...the engine block is the same for both 545i and 745i. The block is precast with the mounting hole for the AC tensioner. If you look and feel you will find the mounting hole below and between the crank pulley and the AC. My AC works great.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:42 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 545i fully loaded

Originally Posted by jfife83
Yes they will fit....I used the AC belt and tensioner for the 745i and they do fit...the engine block is the same for both 545i and 745i. The block is precast with the mounting hole for the AC tensioner. If you look and feel you will find the mounting hole below and between the crank pulley and the AC. My AC works great.
I was looking around and I did find that mounting hole. I'll give this a try. And to the guys that said that the 545i doesn't have a tensioner and you need a stretch belt and a special tool to install it, yes, this is true but it is a possibility to install a tensioner. At that point you'll need a different size belt and it wouldn't be a stretch belt anymore.