E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ABS DSC failure on and off

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like the same problem I had. I have the DSC, ABS, Active Steering, the screen go blank for about a second, needle drops to zero and eventually the car just sputters and dies. I wait a couple of seconds and start it back up everything is fine.

I took my car to service and they updated my software and gave the car back. Still happens, so I took it back

They changed out the alternator because it was putting out too much power. After that, the car was fine ever since. Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Typical sensor errors.

DSC, ABS and Active Steering faults are all do to the brake pad / wheel sensors,
in my meaning.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine white 2004 545, cold weather package, premium sound, sport package.

Originally Posted by NicolasE60' post='628367' date='Jul 20 2008, 04:03 AM
I think your problem is another than mine, because when my dashboard "freaks out" the car is fully functional. Everything works and the car is back to normal within a few seconds after the error codes appear on the i-drive screen.

I hope your dealer gets your problem fixed, good luck with your car ).
My car still is functional when it freaks out just not so well. LOL I hope they figure it out. GL on yours as well.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Contributors

Our cars have two connections at the rear wheels on the inside of each wheel well. These control the adaptive steering (if applicable), abs, and will give a system control error (basically for the speedometer). I would talk to your service advisor and tell them to change out the sensors at each end, and to also check the cable lines from the front to the rear. There could be some faulty cables that are giving you this error.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Hear this:
I got problems/error messages last summer. DSC, ABS and stuff...
A serious investigation showed up a single wire (from ABS sensor) that was stucked under the a random screw/bolt --> shortcut on occasions --> messages.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine white 2004 545, cold weather package, premium sound, sport package.

Originally Posted by anand_rahim' post='629989' date='Jul 22 2008, 02:23 PM
Our cars have two connections at the rear wheels on the inside of each wheel well. These control the adaptive steering (if applicable), abs, and will give a system control error (basically for the speedometer). I would talk to your service advisor and tell them to change out the sensors at each end, and to also check the cable lines from the front to the rear. There could be some faulty cables that are giving you this error.
Yeha they are checkin out the wiring and hopefully they find out the problem. They did some work on the rear quarter panel and wheel well and changed out the front fender. Hopefully they find the faulty wiring/sensor.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Members

Update on my electrical problem:

2 weeks ago i was taking my family for a short trip to germany (about 350km each way).
Just about 30 minuttes after takeoff needles started dropping, all kinds of warnings appeared in the dashboard and the i-drive monitor started flickering and turned off.
This happened continiously for the hole trip and BMW in denmark could only give me a service time in about 14 days. (While i was in germany, i had bmw flensburg diagnose it and they told me there might be a bad electrical connection)
After 7 days with errors every minutte or two i lost my pations and desided to have a look at it my selve. I searched this forum for a DIY (do it yourselve) on taking the dahsboard and monitor a part.
I disconnected every connector i could get to and cleaned them. Efterwards i took out the i-drive monitor and took it totally a part and cleaned all connectors. On the printboard i found one connector with corrotion in it. (not sure if printboard is the correct expresion, but its the one with eletrical components i the i-drive monitor). I also melted the tin (again not sure of the correct expresion) on suspecious components.

Finally i put it all together again and every error is gone.

I went to BMW and they have veryfied that every error is gone and i have had no problems since. They told me that a bad connector in the i-drive monitor actually can disturb the CAN BUS and make it restart, causing all kind of errors.
Doing my little eletrical mission i cleaned all the connecters at ones so i cant tell you exately what fixed the error, but my feeling is that the i-drive monitor was the problem. More precisely i think it was the connector on the i-drive printboard with corrosion on it. It was the only connecter shilded with a 1 x 1 cm metal shield.

Hope this helps others with eletrical problems and thanks for all your help at E60 forum.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i - Black on Black - Sport&Premium

Originally Posted by NicolasE60' post='649283' date='Aug 18 2008, 04:11 PM

2 weeks ago i was taking my family for a short trip to germany (about 350km each way).
Just about 30 minuttes after takeoff needles started dropping, all kinds of warnings appeared in the dashboard and the i-drive monitor started flickering and turned off.
This happened continiously for the hole trip and BMW in denmark could only give me a service time in about 14 days. (While i was in germany, i had bmw flensburg diagnose it and they told me there might be a bad electrical connection)
After 7 days with errors every minutte or two i lost my pations and desided to have a look at it my selve. I searched this forum for a DIY (do it yourselve) on taking the dahsboard and monitor a part.
I disconnected every connector i could get to and cleaned them. Efterwards i took out the i-drive monitor and took it totally a part and cleaned all connectors. On the printboard i found one connector with corrotion in it. (not sure if printboard is the correct expresion, but its the one with eletrical components i the i-drive monitor). I also melted the tin (again not sure of the correct expresion) on suspecious components.

I went to BMW and they have veryfied that every error is gone and i have had no problems since. They told me that a bad connector in the i-drive monitor actually can disturb the CAN BUS and make it restart, causing all kind of errors.
Doing my little eletrical mission i cleaned all the connecters at ones so i cant tell you exately what fixed the error, but my feeling is that the i-drive monitor was the problem. More precisely i think it was the connector on the i-drive printboard with corrosion on it. It was the only connecter shilded with a 1 x 1 cm metal shield.

Hope this helps others with eletrical problems and thanks for all your help at E60 forum.
Thanks man! the same happened to me for the first time today and while I was about to launch a search, I found your post!!!

This site is great, everything is there!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by NicolasE60' post='649283' date='Aug 18 2008, 11:11 PM

Way to go man!
I can sense your satisfaction from this! Made me happy too.

I know the pleasure you get after solving things out by yourself. Especially this kind of most annoying and stressful issues.
Have a plenty of safe kilometers with your 5!
Old 12-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option
Smile

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='650058' date='Aug 19 2008, 02:42 PM
Way to go man!
I can sense your satisfaction from this! Made me happy too.

I know the pleasure you get after solving things out by yourself. Especially this kind of most annoying and stressful issues.
Have a plenty of safe kilometers with your 5!

This just happend to me minutes ago. A mile from my house in stop and go traffic, the ABS warning kept coming on and off. Then it was DSC symbol with ABS in the center, then some weird clock in the center, and the iDrive keeps flashing on and off. I made it home, but then when I tried to start the car a few minutes later, it wouldnt. The odometer read -640000km, and all types of weird sounds were coming from the car.

I waited about 15 minutes. had a cigarette. Started it up and all was fine. My concern is WHY is this happening? Is it the cold weather/road conditions, etc?
I'd love to find more posts about this, so if anyone knows of them, please let me know.

thanks.

Quick Reply: ABS DSC failure on and off