E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ABS DSC failure on and off

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 04:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi there, after i have been reading everything about ABS and DSC errors on this forum (and the rest of the internet ) without finding a solution to my problem, i thought i would give it a try myselve.

I own a 03 model E60 and i am really happy with it, except when it throws errors on the display from time to time. I get abs errors and generel electric fault errors, odometer ect. drops and get back up like its restarting. The same thing happens to the digital display in the middle. Also the i-drive display sometimes flicker when the other errors occur.

The errors are just there for a short while and then it disappears again, sometimes to come back again, other times to work for days without errors.

I have seen simular behaivior described on other threads, but never found an answer to what the problem could be.

Sometimes it feels like i can provoke the error by driving "sporty" arround cornes, but not always.

Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 520i M54 Manual, Saphire Black Metallic, Purchased 03/2004 Standard Equipment: Bi-Xenon Adaptive Headlights, PDC, Airbags all Around, Folding Mirrors, Active Steering, Extended Lights Package, Aluminium/Black Interior, Heated Black Dakota Leather Comfort Seats, Folding Rear Seats w/Ski Bag, Logic7Audio, Car Key Memory. Retrofitted: ///M Tech Aero Kit, ///M Tech Wing Mirrors, ///M5-Forged Wheels, G-Power Quad Exhaust.

same troubles, my BMW dealer can?t find any defect parts
if the outdoor temperature is above 15?C i had no problems?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY2004 530d. Poverty spec

Don't know about E60, but I've had weird electrical problems that turned out to be a bad earth, on a previous car. Gave all the earthing points I could get to a good clean and it was sorted.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by boltoa' post='612857' date='Jun 30 2008, 05:39 PM
Don't know about E60, but I've had weird electrical problems that turned out to be a bad earth, on a previous car. Gave all the earthing points I could get to a good clean and it was sorted.
I have checked groundings in the back of the car, but i am not sure if there are groundings other places. Also does anybody know where to find the abs box ?

I will take my E60 to the dealer tomorow and get it software updated, mayby that will reveal if there are errors in any of the control boxes.

I will for sure let you know what the dealers conclusion is this time.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Members

Got the car back from the dealer today. I was told that the DSC had stored severel errors indicating a communication problem between the dashboard and the DSC.

I was told that all control units were fine and that a software update were availeble for the dashboard. Therefore the car was updated to the latest software release and the technician took it for a testdrive.

The car has been driving the rest of the day without any problems, even though i have done all i could to provoke errors (hard accelation, turning and braking).

I really hope the problem was resolved by the software update!

Thanks for the replies
Old 07-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Members

The error is back...

I have been driving for about two weeks after picking up the car from the dealer and i had the generel/abs eletrical error again, ones after a week and today ones again. It seams like it makes no difference if it the weather is warm, cold or raining heavily. I really cant find anything in common about when the error appears !!!

My car has been to the dealer three times now, and the error is still present. If bmw can't fix the error, who can ???

I can tell from other posts that i am not the only one with this electrical problem. This post is an exact distription of my problem also. (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=57822).

Any help or hint would be greatly appreciated. Anything at all )

THANKS
Old 07-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone Waiting

hi
first of all check the correct voltage/charge of the battery
it cause all sort of problem
Old 07-19-2008, 11:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine white 2004 545, cold weather package, premium sound, sport package.

I was just about to make a thread on this and i'm going through a similar problem. I just had my car worked on at a collision center and before I turned it in for repair it was fine. But when I got it back from them I had all sorts of electrical problems. My Active Steering error code lights up, brake pad warning lights up,DSC, Transmission falure, and a couple more faults i don't remember. My speedometer needle flickers up to 70 MPH and the car jerks hard. Hard enough to chirp the tires. When the transmission failure light is on the car feels like the clutch is slipping. I press the gas and its just sluggish. This happens when i hit a small bump and sometimes during light acceleration. I took it to 2 dealerships and they couldn't figure it out. Well it's back at the collision center. Hopefully they find out whats wrong with it. Sigh....totally disappointed.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vishwen' post='628325' date='Jul 20 2008, 07:06 AM
hi
first of all check the correct voltage/charge of the battery
it cause all sort of problem
Thanks for your suggestion.

Battery voltage has been testet and turned out fine. Is it posible that a battery can have periodic errors ?
Old 07-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by davepham671' post='628356' date='Jul 20 2008, 09:20 AM
I was just about to make a thread on this and i'm going through a similar problem. I just had my car worked on at a collision center and before I turned it in for repair it was fine. But when I got it back from them I had all sorts of electrical problems. My Active Steering error code lights up, brake pad warning lights up,DSC, Transmission falure, and a couple more faults i don't remember. My speedometer needle flickers up to 70 MPH and the car jerks hard. Hard enough to chirp the tires. When the transmission failure light is on the car feels like the clutch is slipping. I press the gas and its just sluggish. This happens when i hit a small bump and sometimes during light acceleration. I took it to 2 dealerships and they couldn't figure it out. Well it's back at the collision center. Hopefully they find out whats wrong with it. Sigh....totally disappointed.
I think your problem is another than mine, because when my dashboard "freaks out" the car is fully functional. Everything works and the car is back to normal within a few seconds after the error codes appear on the i-drive screen.

I hope your dealer gets your problem fixed, good luck with your car ).

Quick Reply: ABS DSC failure on and off