E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

About to purchase 172 wheels but...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...I have a non-sport model. Will I need to lower my car if I get the 172s? I need to get rid of these pizza-cutters I got on now. If I do lower it, how much lower does it need to be to compare it to the sport model? The only other wheels I am interested in are a set of Breyton Spirits but I don't know if they fit. I'd like to stay with BMW OEM but cost may play a role. Any other Breyton recommendations? I'll be purchasing these wheels within the next couple of weeks. My only other concerns are the roads here in Wiesbaden as the are not all that great and getting 19s may be a bit too bumpy...but damn those 172s are nice. Bear with me as I am pretty ignorant when it comes to mods.

E
Attached Thumbnails About to purchase 172 wheels but...-img_0022.jpg  
Old 05-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I can't say the exact tire size you'll need but you should be able to come up with something that doesn't change the overall diameter of the tire/wheel assembly. In other words, you only want the inside diameter (the part where the wheel is) to change, not the outside diameter. If everything is sized properly, there should be no need to lower the car or otherwise adjust anything on the suspension...
Old 05-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by Eaweg' post='576689' date='May 8 2008, 02:22 PM
...I have a non-sport model. Will I need to lower my car if I get the 172s? I need to get rid of these pizza-cutters I got on now. If I do lower it, how much lower does it need to be to compare it to the sport model? The only other wheels I am interested in are a set of Breyton Spirits but I don't know if they fit. I'd like to stay with BMW OEM but cost may play a role. Any other Breyton recommendations? I'll be purchasing these wheels within the next couple of weeks. My only other concerns are the roads here in Wiesbaden as the are not all that great and getting 19s may be a bit too bumpy...but damn those 172s are nice. Bear with me as I am pretty ignorant when it comes to mods.

E
You actually have a large selection of wheels you can put on your car. If you would bought the xi you would have been in my predicament. I don't see any problems with you changing your wheels to the 172's. Your just going to have a softer ride that the sport models. The real issue is offset so make sure you purchase the correct offset wheels.

Good luck and welcome...

Rick...
Old 05-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Let me add that my first e60, if you look at my sig, was a 535xi non sport. The wheels are probably the same ones you have on your car now which are 17's. When BMW bought the car back I ordered the 535xi with the sports pack. The suspension on the sport pack xi did not change from the suspension on the non sport xi because of the all wheel drive. What i did get with the sport pack was the sport wheels, staggered, which are the 124's in 18".

Here are the sizes:

front 18" 245-40-18 and the rear is 275-35-18

so if you go 19" then I would believe staggered would be

245-35-19 front and rear 275-30-19 that's if you go staggered.

Confirm it at www.tirerack.com
Old 05-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Contributors

OK, I just got the photo it's the same wheel I had on my 535xi non sport.

Here is mine with the sports pack. Looks like yours..

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry481277
Old 05-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Eaweg' post='576689' date='May 8 2008, 02:22 PM

E
19s should be okay as the roads in New Jersey and New York City area are also well known a one of the worst road condition in the USA. Just got my 172s on May 1st. The major difference is which tires you used. Usually none runflat will be more comfortable compares to runflat tires.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by k Wang' post='576997' date='May 9 2008, 06:58 AM
19s should be okay as the roads in New Jersey and New York City area are also well known a one of the worst road condition in the USA. Just got my 172s on May 1st. The major difference is which tires you used. Usually none runflat will be more comfortable compares to runflat tires.

K wang - thank you! Did you have to offset the wheels at all or was it just a simple install?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

as slickrick mentioned, recommended tire sizes for the 172s are 245/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rear. as for lowering, you dont need to, but you can stock sport suspension is lower than the standard suspension by 0.7". spring options include eibach pro-kit (1.2" drop all around), eibach sportline (2" front, 1.2" rear), H&R sports (1.4" front, 1.3" rear), H&R race (2" drop all around). and you always have the option of going with coilovers instead of springs. good luck with the search. and welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='577027' date='May 9 2008, 07:03 AM
as slickrick mentioned, recommended tire sizes for the 172s are 245/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rear. as for lowering, you dont need to, but you can stock sport suspension is lower than the standard suspension by 0.7". spring options include eibach pro-kit (1.2" drop all around), eibach sportline (2" front, 1.2" rear), H&R sports (1.4" front, 1.3" rear), H&R race (2" drop all around). and you always have the option of going with coilovers instead of springs. good luck with the search. and welcome and enjoy the forums.

Another one here ordering the 172's thanks for the pick's mind defo now made up..... now to sort the prof sat nav upgrade along with a little birdy who tells me the E Class mers twin pane sky roff may indeed fit..... albit with some clever reworking of the roof lining.... personally i'd be tempted to think some one is spinning a yarn but doen't hurt to dream.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

M172's ordered from salesafter, delivery next week.

I do not have the sport suspension.

Pics coming...

See details in my signature.
Attached Thumbnails About to purchase 172 wheels but...-ygu_2.jpg  

Quick Reply: About to purchase 172 wheels but...