E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

About to ditch my Runflats…

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After plenty of research on here I?ve decided to ditch my runflats in favour of ?normal? tyres but this leaves me with a problem. Do I get myself a space saver or just buy a can of tyreweld?

The way I?m seeing it is that the space saver and tool kit is going to cost me a small fortune (?180 here in the UK) and probably never get used?but on the other hand it does provide a bit more peace of mind than a can of tyreweld. I have a 12V compressor which has got me out of trouble in the past with slow punctures on other cars but if I get a blow out or any serious puncture then I?m screwed, but then again, what?s the chances? I?ve been driving 12 years and never had to change a tyre on the road side yet.

I?ve rang a few tyre dealers thinking I might be able to source one cheaper elsewhere but I?ve had no luck even finding one and there isn?t any on ebay.

Mmm, what should I do?
Old 06-02-2009, 03:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: April 2007 520D M Sport LCI. Automatic. Sunroof. BMW Bluetooth. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Natural Brown Leather.

Did the same as you and ditched the runflats, but did buy the spare tyre kit.
Its expensive, but you know the jack, wheel etc. will work in your car.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 520i SE, 04, 18" 245s, Sapphire Black, Cream leather.

Originally Posted by Tunbridge' post='897752' date='Jun 2 2009, 06:14 AM
After plenty of research on here I?ve decided to ditch my runflats in favour of ?normal? tyres but this leaves me with a problem. Do I get myself a space saver or just buy a can of tyreweld?

The way I?m seeing it is that the space saver and tool kit is going to cost me a small fortune (?180 here in the UK) and probably never get used?but on the other hand it does provide a bit more peace of mind than a can of tyreweld. I have a 12V compressor which has got me out of trouble in the past with slow punctures on other cars but if I get a blow out or any serious puncture then I?m screwed, but then again, what?s the chances? I?ve been driving 12 years and never had to change a tyre on the road side yet.

I?ve rang a few tyre dealers thinking I might be able to source one cheaper elsewhere but I?ve had no luck even finding one and there isn?t any on ebay.

Mmm, what should I do?

Thats some run of luck. No flats in 12 years.
I have Run flats and find them to be grand and can't stand space savers etc.
I think if I was switching over then I would need to have a spare wheel or else I would have good AA auto cover to allow the car to be lifted to a garage and for them to put you up somewhere for the night.
One thing for sure though, once you switch you'll have a puncture. Murphys law.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:18 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Depends on your attitude to risk.

9/10 tyreweld will be OK, but if you hit a hole and bugger a sidewall, it is of no use at all.

Personally I would go for the spacesaver. You might find one at a scrapper, try an online search for BMW used spares.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BigRevKev' post='897754' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:18 PM
Thats some run of luck. No flats in 12 years.
I've had flats when I've got nails in the tyre etc. but it has always gone down really slowly so I've been able to stick some more air in the tyre and make it home or to a garage. My luck will run out eventually though.

Thought I'd have got one on ebay but I guess there isn't many out there as most of the cars will have been sold without space savers.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Get rid of the RFT and get the BMW Mobilty Kit.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:40 AM
Members

Does anyone know what size the space saver is supposed to be?
Old 06-02-2009, 05:08 AM
Senior Members

Do like my M3 and buy a repair kit from BMW ($100) and have no spare.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

No RFT's and no spare makes little sense, so what WOULD you do if you had a flat then?? Realistically you could end up with the type of flat tire that could not be repaired with a kit, and then you would be screwed! Just my 2 cents, spend them as you see fit!
Old 06-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Tunbridge' post='897752' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:14 PM

Mmm, what should I do?
Whatever you do, always good to get some basic level of breakdown cover which doesn't cost that much and will help not just for flat tyres but for any car problem. Cheapest is only ?24 (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ins...dside-recovery).