E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

80k Mile Tune Up - N52 engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:42 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Not something you manual shifters worry about but the Steptronics owners need to think about the Mechatronics Sealing Sleeve. Mine was replaced at 95K miles along with the pan gasket because of leakage.
The lower radiator hose temp sensor was dripping and was changed and the system pressure checked.
I also changed out the oringinal battery, micro filters, and spark plugs. Everything else seems to be ok...for now. Still a pleasure to drive, though. Many smiles per mile
Old 04-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I've been looking around for a list of things to check/replace for the ~80K mile tune up and couldn't find it on this forum. Maybe it is here, and I just didn't look in the right place? But anyway, figured I'd share what I found out so far. Feel free to add/critique.

Water pump w gasket
Thermostat w housing
Expansion tank
Radiator
Oxygen sensor
Spark plugs
Fuel filter
Charcoal filters

Oil level
-check wiring harness near the sensor side connector for damage
-oil leveling sensor

Now, I'm not sure if radiator needs to be replaced. And even somewhat skeptical about the expansion tank needing to be replaced. Fuel filter is in the fuel tank, so AFAIK it is not getting replaced.

I already did the spark plugs a year ago, and charcoal filters. The oil level sensor is okay. My Oxygen sensor seems fine - no errors at all, so I'm thinking to leave it alone.

I definitely think the thermostat needs to be replaced, water pump probably too.

I also want to get new belts and pulleys/tensioners - can someone tell me what OEM parts I need to order? I think there are two belts - accessory and fan? Serpentine? Could be totally wrong on this one. And there are, I believe, 5 pulleys total? I probably am pulling these facts out of thin air though - hope someone will correct me.

The car is a 2006 530Xi with an N52 engine. Production 10/2005

TIA
(and I hope whatever info I posted helps someone)
The fuel filter resides inside the gas tank and my BMW tech who really, really knows and loves BMW's said I should not even bother with that for at least 200,000 miles or more! He said throwing money into a new one would be a total waste of cash.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

this is about to turn into a "wtf happened to this forum" thread...

Guys, I'm talking about spending a couple of hundred bucks to keep the car running another 60-80k miles! WTF is wrong with you?

Originally Posted by Ghostteck
Vald dont get mad so quick, everyones so worried about warranty and everything, just treat your baby right and it'll do the same nelgect it and watch what happens lol
I believe that's exactly what he's doing. He's treating her right.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by pcy
I am not sure if OP is still following this thread.
On a 2006 530i (N52, E60), water pump is NOT run on the belt. It has electric water pump. The cost of new water pump is almost $500, part alone. Water pump on this car is attached on the side of oil pan easily accessible from bottom. If it's not leaking coolant and no error messages, I would leave it alone. Thermostat is also located next to the water pump; again, easily accessible from bottom.

I also have same car. Let me know if you have done any other maintenance on the car...
Hey! I sure am following (occasionally )

I've done the following so far:

-spark plugs
-air filter (I upgraded to BMC and installed the RPI scoop as well)
-cabin filters
-brakes (also upgraded - Centric Premium drilled/slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads and OEM sensors)
-suspension (upgrade/drop on H&R springs and Bilstein shocks, OEM mounts). *note: when swapping springs, buy new spring guides from BMW - they are cheap, but they'll make a world of difference.
-wipers
-I've clean the MAF sensor twice now, still haven't replaced it. But I'm seriously considering it - each time I clean it, the car runs WAY better for a day or two. But then, reverts back to slightly different idling. Nothing "wrong" with it per se, but it is better immediately after the MAF sensor cleaning. It is like 300 bucks, so, so far, I haven't sprung for it.

The cooling hoses were replaced about 2 years ago and radiator and expansion tank checked by BMW dealership. There are no leaks right now, and this winter went by without a problem, so I'm thinking that by the next winter I'll probably be due for at least some type of repairs there. Hopefully not, but you know...

Generally, I found that the one maintenance - or rather, the SIB on the lifters knocking is the one thing I wish I could get done. I'll be checking with some dealers about this when I get back to NYC in ~2 weeks.

Originally Posted by Ghostteck
Vald dont get mad so quick, everyones so worried about warranty and everything, just treat your baby right and it'll do the same nelgect it and watch what happens lol

Old 04-13-2011, 05:57 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

v_therussian, I bought a '06 530i couple of weeks ago from a BMW dealer. It has 95K miles (single owner with all service history and extended warranty and extended maintenance up to 100K miles. Besides all regular maintenance, water pump was changed at 50K miles, valve cover gasket was replaced at around 90K miles; also, both camshaft sensors were replaced. Other than that no other major repairs needed to be done. I opened up the things around the engine area and the panels under the car to look for leaks/problems. On the bottom, there was lot of greasy mess around the water pump. I cleaned up the area and I will monitor if anything is leaking. I think that mess was formed before the valve cover gasket was replaced.

I 've just ordered new Bosch spark plugs. I am planning to change spark plugs next week. I am planning to do the trans service (replacing the trans filter/pan and fluid). Dealer quoted $420 for dropping the pan and pouring new fluid. When I do the trans service, that will give me an opportunity look at the electrical connector (for any leaks) and also I will be able to see if there is anything amiss on the valve body/particles in the fluid.
Attached Thumbnails 80k Mile Tune Up - N52 engine-dsc01690_resized.jpg   80k Mile Tune Up - N52 engine-dsc01701_resized.jpg   80k Mile Tune Up - N52 engine-dsc01679_resized.jpg  
Old 04-13-2011, 06:41 AM
pcy
Senior Members

theRussian, you were talking about belts, on my '06 530i (N52, E60), there is only one belt (that goes around AC compressor, belt tensioner, idler pulley, alternator, PS pump, crank pulley). New belt is around $20. I would check the condition of the belt tensioner (NOT the chain tensioner). As shown in the picture I have attached above, water pump is electric and not attached to the belt.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Members

My Ride: Coming soon...

Is the 80,000 mile check-up a BMW recommendation, or is this simply preventative maintenance? I'm asking because it's so hard to trust the numbers iDrive gives me...like when my oil change indicator tells me I have 15000 miles to the next oil change. I remember my 323i was done at around 100,000...
Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pcy
v_therussian, I bought a '06 530i couple of weeks ago from a BMW dealer. It has 95K miles (single owner with all service history and extended warranty and extended maintenance up to 100K miles. Besides all regular maintenance, water pump was changed at 50K miles, valve cover gasket was replaced at around 90K miles; also, both camshaft sensors were replaced. Other than that no other major repairs needed to be done. I opened up the things around the engine area and the panels under the car to look for leaks/problems. On the bottom, there was lot of greasy mess around the water pump. I cleaned up the area and I will monitor if anything is leaking. I think that mess was formed before the valve cover gasket was replaced.

I 've just ordered new Bosch spark plugs. I am planning to change spark plugs next week. I am planning to do the trans service (replacing the trans filter/pan and fluid). Dealer quoted $420 for dropping the pan and pouring new fluid. When I do the trans service, that will give me an opportunity look at the electrical connector (for any leaks) and also I will be able to see if there is anything amiss on the valve body/particles in the fluid.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I have a greasy mess there too. I think it is due to a leaking power steering hose, located under the radiator. It is punctured slightly on mine - I'm planning to replace it, clean up the area and monitor to see if that takes care of it.

And yes, there is only one belt. The reason I wanted to get the tensioner replaced, is more like a carry-over from my two 2.7T Audis - there, the general regard was that you should definitely replace the tensioner, while you're replacing the belt.

Also, I've noticed that my belt sits weirdly slightly "off" the pulleys. I have no idea why it would be like this, but I've looked at two other E60s with N52 engines - both had same fitment. One complained about some noise from the belt.

Originally Posted by kajin99
Is the 80,000 mile check-up a BMW recommendation, or is this simply preventative maintenance? I'm asking because it's so hard to trust the numbers iDrive gives me...like when my oil change indicator tells me I have 15000 miles to the next oil change. I remember my 323i was done at around 100,000...
It is just because I own the car and I don't want to have to repair that, which can be taken care with simple preventive care and regular maintenance.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:59 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Also, I've noticed that my belt sits weirdly slightly "off" the pulleys. I have no idea why it would be like this, but I've looked at two other E60s with N52 engines - both had same fitment. One complained about some noise from the belt.
Please take a picture of the belt where it is 'off' on the pulleys and post here. I would like to see what you mean by 'off'. It's difficult to visualize...
Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pcy
Please take a picture of the belt where it is 'off' on the pulleys and post here. I would like to see what you mean by 'off'. It's difficult to visualize...
will do