E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

80k Mile Tune Up - N52 engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I've been looking around for a list of things to check/replace for the ~80K mile tune up and couldn't find it on this forum. Maybe it is here, and I just didn't look in the right place? But anyway, figured I'd share what I found out so far. Feel free to add/critique.

Water pump w gasket
Thermostat w housing
Expansion tank
Radiator
Oxygen sensor
Spark plugs
Fuel filter
Charcoal filters

Oil level
-check wiring harness near the sensor side connector for damage
-oil leveling sensor

Now, I'm not sure if radiator needs to be replaced. And even somewhat skeptical about the expansion tank needing to be replaced. Fuel filter is in the fuel tank, so AFAIK it is not getting replaced.

I already did the spark plugs a year ago, and charcoal filters. The oil level sensor is okay. My Oxygen sensor seems fine - no errors at all, so I'm thinking to leave it alone.

I definitely think the thermostat needs to be replaced, water pump probably too.

I also want to get new belts and pulleys/tensioners - can someone tell me what OEM parts I need to order? I think there are two belts - accessory and fan? Serpentine? Could be totally wrong on this one. And there are, I believe, 5 pulleys total? I probably am pulling these facts out of thin air though - hope someone will correct me.

The car is a 2006 530Xi with an N52 engine. Production 10/2005

TIA
(and I hope whatever info I posted helps someone)
Old 02-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Wow, sounds expensive.

How much do you think you will end up spending replacing all these parts?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Luxurytax
Wow, sounds expensive.

How much do you think you will end up spending replacing all these parts?
+1, Aren't you better off if you spend a bit more on what you are going to spend now and get a 2008-2009 low mileage CPO E60 xi?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Contributors

this is about to turn into a "wtf happened to this forum" thread...

Guys, I'm talking about spending a couple of hundred bucks to keep the car running another 60-80k miles! WTF is wrong with you?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

check the aluminum screws that keep down the valve cover gasket. don't unscrew them, but check for play or if you can totally pull them out. if you can get the car up, check ball joints, arms, bearings. i had play in my rear wheel and the knuckle needed to be replaced. also look around the trans pan for leaking. might as well to the trans pan/gasket/filter/oil now. also flush the coolant and put some 50/50 coolant/distilled water. i wouldn't change the expansion tank if i didnt see anything leaking. also check the starter/battery

as for the pulleys/belts/tensioners: why not just check the belts first? if they seem worn go from there. put your vin at realoem.com and check out the diagrams/part numbers
Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aw3964
check the aluminum screws that keep down the valve cover gasket. don't unscrew them, but check for play or if you can totally pull them out. if you can get the car up, check ball joints, arms, bearings. i had play in my rear wheel and the knuckle needed to be replaced. also look around the trans pan for leaking. might as well to the trans pan/gasket/filter/oil now. also flush the coolant and put some 50/50 coolant/distilled water. i wouldn't change the expansion tank if i didnt see anything leaking. also check the starter/battery

as for the pulleys/belts/tensioners: why not just check the belts first? if they seem worn go from there. put your vin at realoem.com and check out the diagrams/part numbers
Thanks!

I regularly check the suspension and engine compartment for any signs of trouble. I will be getting new dampers and springs put in soon, so I'll be re-checking all the links etc - I'll replace anything that needs replacing in the suspension then.

I'll flush coolant and brake fluid when the weather gets a little warmer - was in the plans anyhow

Thinking whether to bother changing the water pump or not

This is the belt drive blow-up from realoem.com. Do I need to order all these parts? Is the water pump driven by this belt as well?
80k Mile Tune Up - N52 engine-beltdrive.png
Old 04-12-2011, 06:02 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

I am not sure if OP is still following this thread.
On a 2006 530i (N52, E60), water pump is NOT run on the belt. It has electric water pump. The cost of new water pump is almost $500, part alone. Water pump on this car is attached on the side of oil pan easily accessible from bottom. If it's not leaking coolant and no error messages, I would leave it alone. Thermostat is also located next to the water pump; again, easily accessible from bottom.

I also have same car. Let me know if you have done any other maintenance on the car...
Old 04-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Originally Posted by pcy
I am not sure if OP is still following this thread.
On a 2006 530i (N52, E60), water pump is NOT run on the belt. It has electric water pump. The cost of new water pump is almost $500, part alone. Water pump on this car is attached on the side of oil pan easily accessible from bottom. If it's not leaking coolant and no error messages, I would leave it alone. Thermostat is also located next to the water pump; again, easily accessible from bottom.

I also have same car. Let me know if you have done any other maintenance on the car...
Good to know. I didnt know these two pieces of info

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

Vald dont get mad so quick, everyones so worried about warranty and everything, just treat your baby right and it'll do the same nelgect it and watch what happens lol
Old 04-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by v_therussian
this is about to turn into a "wtf happened to this forum" thread...

Guys, I'm talking about spending a couple of hundred bucks to keep the car running another 60-80k miles! WTF is wrong with you?
You're posting on a forum where most people respond with "take it to the dealer [I've never seen tools before!]."

Take a look at the "old school maintenance schedule"

Mike Miller has said that the post e30 cooling systems suck and need a good flush and hose replacement every 30-60k.

Quick Reply: 80k Mile Tune Up - N52 engine