E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

$70K POS German engineering........

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe they have not been able to resolve the battery drain issue.......I have discused this previously with other forum members who have also experienced the low battery warning. But today it was totally dead when I got out of work to go to my Dr.'s appointment which I had to miss because of the German "reliable" engineering.

I am afraid that I can never rely on this car again. My American made car has never been unreliable in any way or form in the last 6 years........

Now that I have vented out.......I have jump started it and hoping it would still have enough charge to take me back home and may be to the dealer in the morning.

Any experiences with this sort of problem would be appreciated......

thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by E60550I' post='500280' date='Nov 28 2007, 04:37 PM
I can't believe they have not been able to resolve the battery drain issue.......I have discused this previously with other forum members who have also experienced the low battery warning. But today it was totally dead when I got out of work to go to my Dr.'s appointment which I had to miss because of the German "reliable" engineering.

I am afraid that I can never rely on this car again. My American made car has never been unreliable in any way or form in the last 6 years........

Now that I have vented out.......I have jump started it and hoping it would still have enough charge to take me back home and may be to the dealer in the morning.

thanks in advance.
I also woke up to a completely dead battery one morning, the issue turned out to be a faulty battery which was quickly replaced under warranty. Took a day or two for the dealer to properly test the battery (tougher than it sounds, as the battery would appear to charge normally, but would then drain very quickly) but once they confirmed that the battery itself was the issue it was replaced and the problem never reappeared.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by E60550I' post='500280' date='Nov 28 2007, 07:37 PM

thanks in advance.
What transmission do you have? My battery drain issue was due to a faulty SAT shifter. They replaced the part and things have been working great ever since. (Before the part was replaced, I was getting the battery discharge message each and every time I returned to the car after it was parked for more than 15 minutes or so...)
Old 11-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Members

There is no question that problems can be frustrating, but with all the technology on this car it's surprisingly trouble free. I've got 50K miles on my 05 545 and have had zero problems. Many on this board are similar. You've more-than-likely got a bad battery or other problem the dealer will fix under warranty. But there's no reason to indict German engineering in general....
Old 11-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='500294' date='Nov 28 2007, 07:58 PM
What transmission do you have? My battery drain issue was due to a faulty SAT shifter. They replaced the part and things have been working great ever since. (Before the part was replaced, I was getting the battery discharge message each and every time I returned to the car after it was parked for more than 15 minutes or so...)

Yes Rudy, I remember you talking about it in some threads.......Mine is automatic transmission not the SAT though.

Get this. I just called Brecht BMW to schedule an appointment to get this checked and at the end I asked them if I would get a loaner. The rep told me they have changed their policy and they don't offer loaners but she suggested they have a contract with some rental company......I could not help my self and laughed out loud and explained her few things on customer service especially when its not the consumer problem. At the end I was able to haggle a loaner with them but what a waste of time and money for this class of car (POS). I was hoping a better service by BMW.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Go_Fast_545' post='500295' date='Nov 28 2007, 08:00 PM
There is no question that problems can be frustrating, but with all the technology on this car it's surprisingly trouble free. I've got 50K miles on my 05 545 and have had zero problems. Many on this board are similar. You've more-than-likely got a bad battery or other problem the dealer will fix under warranty. But there's no reason to indict German engineering in general....

Go Fast 45: I am actually quite fond of German engineering but I had to vent which I did. And I understand it would be some minor problem and would be fixed under warranty and it only might be on a very limited number of cars. But the hype about BMWs of being great machines leads one to bigger disappointment and frustration.

Nonetheless, it is annoying to deal with for a 2008 car.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by E60550I' post='500299' date='Nov 28 2007, 08:05 PM
Yes Rudy, I remember you talking about it in some threads.......Mine is automatic transmission not the SAT though.

Get this. I just called Brecht BMW to schedule an appointment to get this checked and at the end I asked them if I would get a loaner. The rep told me they have changed their policy and they don't offer loaners but she suggested they have a contract with some rental company......I could not help my self and laughed out loud and explained her few things on customer service especially when its not the consumer problem. At the end I was able to haggle a loaner with them but what a waste of time and money for this class of car (POS). I was hoping a better service by BMW.
I understand your frustration but hopefully you'll understand that your problem sounds more like a dealer one than a BMW one. I know that may sound stupid (since it's a BMW dealer) but believe me, there are good dealers and bad dealers and it sounds like you have a bad one. Is there any chance that you have a choice of dealers where you live?

I hope somehow you get things sorted out -- the dealer should be able to fix this and you should be a happy BMW owner in no time...

P.S. -- you don't usually hear POS and German engineering used in the same sentence -- I realize you're just venting but I thought I'd try to remind you of that fact anyway...
Old 11-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='500305' date='Nov 28 2007, 08:11 PM
I understand your frustration but hopefully you'll understand that your problem sounds more like a dealer one than a BMW one.

I think its a BMW problem first, since my battery keeps on draining out. Then when I called to get it fixed it became a dealer problem Yes, there are other dealers with bad reputation already so I thought I would try a different one. I am sure they are probably not bad in servicing the car but this new policy crap they pulled on me for a loaner did not go well with me for this kind of car.

P.S. -- you don't usually hear POS and German engineering used in the same sentence -- I realize you're just venting but I thought I'd try to remind you of that fact anyway...

Yes, I never thought of doing that either but apparently I am mad enough to do it
Old 11-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Once you get things fixed, driving your awesome machine will help you forget that anger very quickly...

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by E60550I' post='500299' date='Nov 28 2007, 05:05 PM

I see you're from San Diego. Next time make an appointment with Ann Munson of BMW of San Diego. I highly recommend her. You'll always get a loaner there, albeit a Toyota Camry if you miss the X3s.

Quick Reply: $70K POS German engineering........