E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

6spd: 5 series or m3

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 08:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535d

As an owner of a E60 535d and an E46 M3, I can compare the both. I must say, the 535d is very very good. But the M3 is phenomenal. When you get in the car and turn the key, every muscle in your body begins to party and your heartbeat doubles... I've driven a lot of cars, but I've found the one, the E46 M3...
It's a masterpiece!!! But you should drive it carefully. But wathever you choose, you will not regret it, the E60 is also a very very good car... But the ///M it's ...
Old 01-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

going from E60 to E46 M3 is a little step back those days I think....... with the new M3 coming soon....ok ok I know that the E46 M3 is phenomenal but those days it is just one generation old and that is the way it is.....one must not think only about the BHP's..........
just my oppinion.......even if you are asking about moneywise and value.....
I still turn my head when M3 flies by.... but I don't think I would trade for my E60
Old 01-21-2006, 09:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='227467' date='Jan 21 2006, 09:29 AM
going from E60 to E46 M3 is a little step back those days I think....... with the new M3 coming soon....ok ok I know that the E46 M3 is phenomenal but those days it is just one generation old and that is the way it is.....one must not think only about the BHP's..........
just my oppinion.......even if you are asking about moneywise and value.....
I still turn my head when M3 flies by.... but I don't think I would trade for my E60
Dont do it. I had a M3 convertible and although its fun to drive its not a practical car. Very rough on daily drives and technology is outdated. I would wait till new M3 comes out. Going from a 5 series to M3 is downgrading right now. Plus you will loose a lot of money. I currently have a Porsche 997 911 CS and its fun and all to drive with the stick but I really dont drive it as much as the 550. If you are single then get the M3 because once you get married you will have to stick with good riding sedans especially if you have kids.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

yea... another factor, which i dunno how much of an impact it will have, is that i use this car as a daily driver. living in NJ and driving to NYC for work.. about 55 miles (which includes, local roads, major highways, nj turnpike & nyc roads). driving my 5er, it does a great job of blocking out any inconsistencies in the road. will a 6spd in the 5er alter the handling and ride quality in any way? i figure the ride will probably be a little harsher in the e46 m3? not sure, someone confirm?
Old 01-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

the steptronic is great....I don't know what are you worried about. either the DS mode or you can use the manual with M mode.... I see no lack here behind manual tranny....
of course I have to mention that having the M5 steering wheel paddles mod for stept is the best
with the heavy traffic we all get those days manual becomes annoing actually....
maybe on a sporty weekend ride kind of car for fun.....
Old 01-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='227516' date='Jan 21 2006, 02:38 PM
the steptronic is great....I don't know what are you worried about. either the DS mode or you can use the manual with M mode.... I see no lack here behind manual tranny....
of course I have to mention that having the M5 steering wheel paddles mod for stept is the best
with the heavy traffic we all get those days manual becomes annoing actually....

m5 steering wheel paddles mod?! .... can you share some info (and preferably pics) of that install / setup?

** quickly goes and searches the forum for such info... **
Old 01-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tiptronic' post='227521

m5 steering wheel paddles mod?! .... can you share some info (and preferably pics) of that install / setup?

** quickly goes and searches the forum for such info... **
[/quote]

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=15881&hl=

there you go, and to answer your next question: to get it only via HOBI's web site, which will be on soon.
Hobi is a forum member. do the search for his site....
Old 01-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I had an 03 M3 SMG for 3 years. It is a totally different driving experience than my 550 Step which I have had for 2 months. The M3 is quick, on rails, and a thrilling driving experience. I felt in complete control. It was also noisy, stiff, and not a particulary comfortable car if not on very smooth roads. The 550 is smooth, powerful, less precise in handling, luxurious, and filled with electronics. I have enjoyed both immensely.