E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

6sp Manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Thanks guys, nice recommendations. twh and pennetta, I'd planned on going to an empty lot. For me, the hardest thing was learning the clutch so that I would stall. Once I understood the concept and could "feel" the sweetspot, I was good. Shifting after you're into first is very easy, but I don't want her grinding gears down the steet, so I'll take my time. I think she'll like it once she gets it...no too much. But, the more enjoyable the training is, the better she'll do, so we'll see.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I have talked with many men that have almost gotten divorced over the clutch training thing. Also, husbands are not the best trained to teach a complicated task to a spouse. Case-in-point, back in my early days of SCUBA instruction, we always seperated couples as a person is much more patient when it is not a spouse or girl/boy friend. The couples where always fighting under high stress situations.

Secondly, my wife was driving an RX7 with a 5-speed when I met her, so I didn't have the problem of teaching her, in fact she grew up with a manual. However, she knows how anil I am about my baby and although she is proficient with a manual, it just makes her nervous to drive my 5er.

So, my advice would be to get a good friend, who is patient and knows how to drive a stick, to work with your wife. It will save your relationship and she will probably get it much easier as she will be less nervous

And you can rest assured that if you car is broken in, she really can't do much damage unless she runs into a wall. BMW clutches and manuals are pretty bullet proof.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:30 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='May 24 2005, 10:05 AM
Take her to a large parking area and practice starting from a stop and then stopping from a roll. She should get it pretty quick. Next practice from a stop going up a hill. I think those are the hardest, other than a panic situation, things to do.
[snapback]132674[/snapback]
Very good advice. I've taught two daughters and coached a wife who already had experience. I like the parking lot idea -- no cops, no traffic, less nerves. But, first, take a big dose of patience.

I always started going from first to second and stopping. Start again and go from first to second and stop again. Keep on with that drill until going from first to second is mastered and stopping is OK. Then add a gear and go from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and stop. Keep it up until she gets it down through 4th. She's ready to go from there. Good luck.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by twh' date='May 24 2005, 09:28 AM
(3) Start by having them first master letting the clutch out and not stalling the car. I do this by telling them to *not* touch the gas pedal at all. So, they basically master letting the clutch out and feeling it grab without stalling the car. Once they let the clutch out and the car is moving with no accelerator, have them push the clutch back in and then come to a stop.
[snapback]132744[/snapback]
That takes too much feathering of the clutch... Takes too long to bring the car up to speed before the clutch can be fully let out.

What I usually do is tell them to rev the engine to 1200 rpm or 1300 whatever depending how powerful the car is and hold the RPM there and then slowly let out the clutch...
Old 05-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Contributors

Use someone elses car.

Parking lot is the best.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Guys, we are all pretty much on the same page. I am going to use my friends 98 Jetta (70k miles). He is going to train her initially (not me), and they are going to start in a parking lot and then do our subdivision (not much traffic, good streets, lots of stopping and starting). We are just trying to set aside a time, but I will be stressed less, and my wife will definately learn better without me trying to teach her. She doesn't take direction or criticism well from me. Jsal, I completely understand that, which is why I am "hiring" my friend. Free of charge...well I may have to fee him and give him a bit of Scotch, but he'll be good from there...Scotch after the training of course.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='May 25 2005, 07:24 AM
Guys, we are all pretty much on the same page.? I am going to use my friends 98 Jetta (70k miles).? He is going to train her initially (not me), and they are going to start in a parking lot and then do our subdivision (not much traffic, good streets, lots of stopping and starting).? We are just trying to set aside a time, but I will be stressed less, and my wife will definately learn better without me trying to teach her.? She doesn't take direction or criticism well from me.? Jsal, I completely understand that, which is why I am "hiring" my friend.? Free of charge...well I may have to fee him and give him a bit of Scotch, but he'll be good from there...Scotch after the training of course.
[snapback]133051[/snapback]
Sounds like a good plan - mission will be accomplished and you will not have to split up your car in divorce court. Since your friend is using his car, you may want to give him the Scotch ahead of time - it will minimize any jerking or gear meshing. I am sure it will work out fine.