E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

6-sp Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 08:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by travelboy' post='228429
I think what you are experiencing is a combination of the CDV and the fly-by-wire throttle engagement used by BMW in the E60.

To mitigate the CDV effect, try using the "sport" button. The sport button "mapping" seems to be just enough to avoid the stumbling effect in 1st and 2nd gears. Of course the best solution would be to remove the CDV valve altogether.

As with most things in life, I could be utterly and completely wrong ...

Good luck.
Thanks for the information. I've seen some of the E46 M3 6-sp cars have the "sport" button which changes the throttle response time. But there is no "sport" button on my car .

For now, I'll live with it, but I'll definitely make a note for the dealer to check it out at the next scheduled service ... unless it gets worse over time (or more annoying ).
[/quote]

Oops, sorry. My bad. I thought you had the SMG (as opposed to the traditional 6 speed).
Old 01-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='228406
Oops, sorry. My bad. I thought you had the SMG (as opposed to the traditional 6 speed).
Umm...I'm confused. In other posts, you've mentioned that you had a manual transmission, but if that's the case, then you should know that there is no sport button to be found. If you were talking about a SMG transmission like you mention, then that would also be confusing since those cars do not have a CDV.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Did some experimenting on the way to work this morning (rapid on and off the throttle at various speeds in various gears).

I sorry to say (or should that be happy to say) that I have no jerkiness whatsoever. It's as smooth as the preverbial baby's bottom.

I havn't had a good look under the bonnet so I presume the "fly by wire" reference means that we have no direct throttle cable between the accelerator pedal and the engine intake mechanism? So it's all done by computer controlled sensors?

What does CDV mean?
Old 01-24-2006, 06:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 (born 11/04) 525i Touring: jet black, bi-xenons, sports suspension, extended air conditioning. Retrofits: hinged cubby hole, AUX-input, generic I-Drive video interface (a.k.a. xbox-e60) Warranty repairs: software update, door seals replaced, loose aluminium trim fixed. Repairs: Self-levelling compressor.

Hi,

I did the same testing today, and didn't find anything but pure smoothness.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

I have done this "move" several times and don't recall hearing/feeling a "thunk". Car has always been smooth.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

It's a V8 thing; has nothing to do with the I-6.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='228725
I think what you are experiencing is a combination of the CDV and the fly-by-wire throttle engagement used by BMW in the E60.

To mitigate the CDV effect, try using the "sport" button. The sport button "mapping" seems to be just enough to avoid the stumbling effect in 1st and 2nd gears. Of course the best solution would be to remove the CDV valve altogether.

As with most things in life, I could be utterly and completely wrong ...

Good luck.
Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='228406' date='Jan 23 2006, 03:31 PM
Umm...I'm confused. In other posts, you've mentioned that you had a manual transmission, but if that's the case, then you should know that there is no sport button to be found. If you were talking about a SMG transmission like you mention, then that would also be confusing since those cars do not have a CDV.
[/quote]

Are you sure the SMG has no CDV? I was led to believe that it did.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:25 PM
Contributors

Pretty sure that SMG does not have a CDV. At least the SMG in the e46 doesn't have a CDV.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='228756' date='Jan 24 2006, 01:26 PM
Did some experimenting on the way to work this morning (rapid on and off the throttle at various speeds in various gears).

I sorry to say (or should that be happy to say) that I have no jerkiness whatsoever. It's as smooth as the preverbial baby's bottom.

I havn't had a good look under the bonnet so I presume the "fly by wire" reference means that we have no direct throttle cable between the accelerator pedal and the engine intake mechanism? So it's all done by computer controlled sensors?

What does CDV mean?
CDV means Clutch Delay Valve. Know what it stands for but not exactly what it does but there is some explanation somewhere on this forum from past reading. I know that I had it on my E46s but were only on the 6 cylinder models. The clutch seems to be a lot smoother/lighter than on the 4 cylinders E46s.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by BMW530' post='229034' date='Jan 24 2006, 11:34 PM
What does CDV mean?

CDV means Clutch Delay Valve. Know what it stands for but not exactly what it does but there is some explanation somewhere on this forum from past reading. I know that I had it on my E46s but were only on the 6 cylinder models. The clutch seems to be a lot smoother/lighter than on the 4 cylinders E46s.

Thanks for that - I know we have hydraulic clutches (not cable), but I can't see why the CDV would come into play when you are just on and off the throttle. I can understand that it would help with a smoother change betwen gears, but not when you are fully engaged.

Quick Reply: 6-sp Manual Transmission