E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

6-sp Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 07:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6-speed, Black Sapphire w/ Auburn, Sport pkg, Premium Sound pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Fold Down Rear Seats 1995 M3 5-speed, Silver w/ Mulberry, Luxury pkg

I have recently noticed that when I'm cruising along in any particular gear, 1 through 4, at a steady speed at any RPM's, and lift my foot off of the accelerator pedal (while leaving the car in gear), there is a noticeable jerking of the car with a little, but definite "thunk" sound :'( ... almost feels like an automatic upshifting/downshifting. It does not happen in 5th or 6th gears.

For example, if I'm on a local road moving at 50 mph in 4th gear and take my foot off of the accelerator pedal to let it coast (with the car still in 4th gear), the car will jerk slightly with a "thunk" sound ... feels like it was downshifting although its a manual!

In my M3, when I lift my foot from the accelerator pedal while moving at a steady spped, there is no sudden jerkiness or sound. There is no transmission/trottle jerkiness. I'm wondering if this is "normal" for the E60 manual transmission. Or maybe the E60 has a hyper throttle response. If anyone has had (or still has) a similar experience, please let me know.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

hmmm...
yes I do have that jerkiness. However, if you take your foot off the pedal gently instaed of leaving it abruptly it should solve your problem.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by travelboy' post='228272' date='Jan 23 2006, 11:59 AM
I have recently noticed that when I'm cruising along in any particular gear, 1 through 4, at a steady speed at any RPM's, and lift my foot off of the accelerator pedal (while leaving the car in gear), there is a noticeable jerking of the car with a little, but definite "thunk" sound :'( ... almost feels like an automatic upshifting/downshifting. It does not happen in 5th or 6th gears.

For example, if I'm on a local road moving at 50 mph in 4th gear and take my foot off of the accelerator pedal to let it coast (with the car still in 4th gear), the car will jerk slightly with a "thunk" sound ... feels like it was downshifting although its a manual!

In my M3, when I lift my foot from the accelerator pedal while moving at a steady spped, there is no sudden jerkiness or sound. There is no transmission/trottle jerkiness. I'm wondering if this is "normal" for the E60 manual transmission. Or maybe the E60 has a hyper throttle response. If anyone has had (or still has) a similar experience, please let me know.
Yes, I have the same problem with the SMG. You cruise slong and let go off the gas and the car jerks 1-2 times. The same if I cruise and the floor it. The car jerks first (not always) and tehn takes off.

Thuis is the first car that had this, my E39 (manual) never had it.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Can't say I've noticed this on mine. I'll experiment over the next few days and let you know.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Check ze "donut." There used to be a rubber "donut" drive link, that, after many (50K+) miles began to develop slack and produced a thunk in the drive line upon deceleration and to a lesser degree upon acceleration. They were bolted in at the rear end of the drive shaft, ahead of the axle. I don't know if these things are still used (were all through the 70s and 80s), but they were the first place to look for clunking back then.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 01-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by travelboy' post='228272' date='Jan 23 2006, 08:59 AM

I think what you are experiencing is a combination of the CDV and the fly-by-wire throttle engagement used by BMW in the E60.

To mitigate the CDV effect, try using the "sport" button. The sport button "mapping" seems to be just enough to avoid the stumbling effect in 1st and 2nd gears. Of course the best solution would be to remove the CDV valve altogether.

As with most things in life, I could be utterly and completely wrong ...

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6-speed, Black Sapphire w/ Auburn, Sport pkg, Premium Sound pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Fold Down Rear Seats 1995 M3 5-speed, Silver w/ Mulberry, Luxury pkg

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='228406' date='Jan 23 2006, 03:31 PM
I think what you are experiencing is a combination of the CDV and the fly-by-wire throttle engagement used by BMW in the E60.

To mitigate the CDV effect, try using the "sport" button. The sport button "mapping" seems to be just enough to avoid the stumbling effect in 1st and 2nd gears. Of course the best solution would be to remove the CDV valve altogether.

As with most things in life, I could be utterly and completely wrong ...

Good luck.
Thanks for the information. I've seen some of the E46 M3 6-sp cars have the "sport" button which changes the throttle response time. But there is no "sport" button on my car .

For now, I'll live with it, but I'll definitely make a note for the dealer to check it out at the next scheduled service ... unless it gets worse over time (or more annoying ).
Old 01-23-2006, 07:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

There is a slight jerk when I apply and let off the throttle fast... Same goes for my MINI... So I took it as normal. I figured it was the engine breaking causing the jolt, one minute the engine is turning the wheels and then all of a sudden theres no power and the engine is slowing down the wheels thus causing the jolt. I felt it in other manual cars too some more pronounced than others...
Old 01-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

I notice this jerkiness too on my 550. It happens when the MPG needle moves all the way to the left when you lift off the throttle completely. It's basically the injectors shutting off (jerkiness occurs) when you're coasting and coming back on again (jerkiness occurs again) when you reapply throttle. Just watch the MPG needle as you add/release throttle. When it's in the white zone, you'll notice the jerk. As it comes out of the white zone, the jerk occurs again. Totally normal, especially when you're driving a torquey V8 with a manual when there's no torque converter to mitigate the shock. I don't find it the least bit alarming. It's just the injectors doing their job to cut off fuel when it's not needed. Granted the response could be less dramatic, but nonetheless, at least they're doing their job.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='228671' date='Jan 23 2006, 09:38 PM
I notice this jerkiness too on my 550. It happens when the MPG needle moves all the way to the left when you lift off the throttle completely. It's basically the injectors shutting off (jerkiness occurs) when you're coasting and coming back on again (jerkiness occurs again) when you reapply throttle. Just watch the MPG needle as you add/release throttle. When it's in the white zone, you'll notice the jerk. As it comes out of the white zone, the jerk occurs again. Totally normal, especially when you're driving a torquey V8 with a manual when there's no torque converter to mitigate the shock. I don't find it the least bit alarming. It's just the injectors doing their job to cut off fuel when it's not needed. Granted the response could be less dramatic, but nonetheless, at least they're doing their job.

Good explaination.

Quick Reply: 6-sp Manual Transmission