E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

6 month impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chi-Town, will turning DSC off do anything other than just keep the car from realizing when you start to drift and try to compensate?
Old 07-27-2005, 07:30 PM
Members

Yes,

The basic key is that DSC will keep you from spinning out. It converts oversteer into understeer and basically just makes the car easier to drive.

For the most part, if DSC ever does something helpful for you, it will come at a time when you're driving along normally and something suddenly happens that you weren't prepared for and you wind up doing something wrong compounded by another wrong move (like an overcorrection of the first wrong move). If you did the right moves (with a few exceptions), you wouldn't be breaking traction to begin with, which is what triggers the DSC.

Why I Turn Off DSC...

I have Track Experience and understand my Car and what RWD will do with heavy acceleration.

I dislike tremendously, the annoying hesitation off the line -- with DSC OFF, Gone.

The Bogging feeling you can experience at times when hard acceleration or just turning into traffic-- with DSC OFF, Gone.

If you don't know when you should turn it off, LEAVE IT ON. PERIOD.

Drive Safe Everyone!!
Old 07-27-2005, 09:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Sounds like you picked the wrong options. With a sport package and manual or SMG, I think you would be pretty happy.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

Originally Posted by Ricracing' date='Jul 27 2005, 05:39 PM
Go for the new 550iA.

No 330Ci can match that.

You could also try to learn to use the break/gas pedal for faster acc.
[snapback]153604[/snapback]
no 330ci would beat a 545... something wrong there!!!
i've driven many a 330 and they felt slow ...
they may have the jump (may I say) for the 1st few yards, but then the 545 will just whistle past. if you're ready at the lights, then this will never happen
Old 07-29-2005, 04:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

I have had the 545i automatic for 8 months and am looking at trading it in for something else.

I share the same love hate relationship.

Love....

1. Quiet solid ride without feeling heavy.

2. Perspective NAV.

3. PDC

4. ARS and Active Steering on the Sport PKG.

5. V8 when it actually gives me the 325hp, (mostly it seems like it's holding back )

6. Design

7. Luxury appeal of the BMW brand.

Hate...

1. When outside temp increases the car performance decreases so it barely does anything more than other cars on the road.

2. Of the line throttle lag ( even with new software got smoked by lesser cars but I do smoke them in the 40 to 60 mph run)

3. My commute is 100 % city. ( I can't blame the car for that but the 545i is not meant to be a city car).

4. I get 14 mpg from the car ( Well what do you expect it's a V8, but unfortunately it doesn't always drive like one ).

5. Very uncomfortable sport seats.

6. 68 K price tag.

7. I don't think this one will hold up like older BMWs in longevity.

8. Premium paid for top or the line 545 and now they launch a 550? I don't want an engine that is extinct.

9. It drives stonger and harder than anything out there but the overall supremacy in performance is being challanged by many other cars and the gap is narrowing every year.

10. Don't kid yourself the car doesn't offer a lot of room in the back. ( I would just as well get the M3 )

11. MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL THE CAR IS EXTEREMLY UNPREDICTABLE. Under a variety of dirving situations in traffic it doesn't give me the punch I need when I need it. Sometimes there's a delay and sometimes not. ( Although shifting in the sport-tronic mode fixes the problem but ads to the delay in shifitng out of D to DS and then downshift. Too long for city driving conditions where you the need the punch in a split second.

12. I don't want to be shifting manual in city traffic everyday. ( Well not really the cars fault)
Old 07-29-2005, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

I have had mine for almost 8 months, so here is my take:

Love:

- styling
- interior > big upgrade from an 01 E39
- iDrive
- smooth power band
- smooth shifter
- great A/C
- Sirius
- C/D changer in the glove box > not the boot
- SSR GT3's with 19's
- HUD

Hates:

- lack of low end grunt > last car was an 01 M5 - so not really a hate!
- time it takes the iDrive to load at start up
- false FTM alarms
- dash much harder to keep clean
- wish it had the alcantera headliner
- no good place for loose change
- no stock "cargo net" in the boot

thats just my take....

Have a great weekend everyone, don't spend to much time working on your car
Old 07-29-2005, 06:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Steptronic, Dark Blue, 18" wheels, Car Phone, Sports Seats, Active Xeons, Professional Navigation, Logic 7, Active Steering, Dynamic Drive Cruise Cotrol, Rear Blind, Ski Compartment, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Window Blinds....

Originally Posted by JayEll' date='Jul 29 2005, 01:37 PM
[quote name='Ricracing' date='Jul 27 2005, 05:39 PM']Go for the new 550iA.

No 330Ci can match that.

You could also try to learn to use the break/gas pedal for faster acc.
[snapback]153604[/snapback]
no 330ci would beat a 545... something wrong there!!!
i've driven many a 330 and they felt slow ...
they may have the jump (may I say) for the 1st few yards, but then the 545 will just whistle past. if you're ready at the lights, then this will never happen
[snapback]154287[/snapback]
[/quote]

Mmmm beginning to realize that I am not the only one that prefers the E39 540i I had before.... something went astray when the designed these cars....
Old 07-29-2005, 09:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by kryptokat' date='Jul 29 2005, 06:27 AM
I have had the 545i automatic for 8 months and am looking at trading it in for something else.

I share the same love hate relationship.

Love....

1. Quiet solid ride without feeling heavy.

2.? Perspective NAV.

3. PDC

4. ARS and Active Steering on the Sport PKG.

5. V8 when it actually gives me the 325hp, (mostly it seems like it's holding back )

6. Design

7. Luxury appeal of the BMW brand.

Hate...

1. When outside temp increases the car performance decreases so it barely does anything more than other cars on the road.

2. Of the line throttle lag ( even with new software got smoked by lesser cars but I do smoke them in the 40 to 60 mph run)

3. My commute is 100 % city. ( I can't blame the car for that but the 545i is not meant to be a city car).

4. I get 14 mpg from the car ( Well what do you expect it's a V8, but unfortunately it doesn't always drive like one ).

5. Very uncomfortable sport seats.

6. 68 K price tag.

7. I don't think this one will hold up like older BMWs in longevity.

8. Premium paid for top or the line 545 and now they launch a 550? I don't want an engine that is extinct.

9. It drives stonger and harder than anything out there but the overall supremacy in performance is being challanged by many other cars and the gap is narrowing every year.

10. Don't kid yourself the car doesn't offer a lot of room in the back. ( I would just as well get the M3 )

11. MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL THE CAR IS EXTEREMLY UNPREDICTABLE. Under a variety of dirving situations in traffic it doesn't give me the punch I need when I need it. Sometimes there's a delay and sometimes not. ( Although shifting in the sport-tronic mode fixes the problem but ads to the delay in shifitng out of D to DS and then downshift. Too long for city driving conditions where you the need the punch in a split second.

12. I don't want to be shifting manual in city traffic everyday. ( Well not really the cars fault)
[snapback]154297[/snapback]
I also have a 545 with steptronic and I do not feel the same way as you about it. It's a spectacular car. I've had a few complaints but they've all been adressed. Have you upgraded your software? The issues you describe in point 11 have all been corrected. Also, review the info in this and other threads about DSC/DTC.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by KenTO' date='Jul 27 2005, 12:45 AM
I have now had my 545 for over 6 months, and I think it is really a love/ hate relationship.? I loved the last 5 series, but this one still has me wondering...was this the right choice?
I have my 545i for 2 weeks now. I also feel the idle vibration in the driver's seat.
Did you fix this with a software upgrade?

Loves:

325 hp, navigation, and the prestige, all in a price that is still a lot lower than a base 911 that does not even come with placemats.? Plus, I can justify this to my wife because I can put? car-seats in the back, and I can still fool myself in thinking tI am not an old fart because it is not an S500.? Overall, it really is a better car than the last 5 series, but while that car was head and shoulders above the competition, this one is not so obviously superior.

Hates:

Okay, here it comes.? The car has a low vibration at idle that I feel in the seat of my pants.? I hate that.

I have an automatic, and it is slow off the line, and yesterday I got smoked by a 330 coupe at a light because he popped the clutch.? I hate that.
I have my 545i for 2 weeks now. I also feel the vibration in the driver's seat.
Have you fixed this with a software upgrade?

My navigation DVD makes crunchy loud noises.

I decided not to get the sports package because of the run-flat issue, and that was a big
mistake.? This car rides a bit like a boat, even though I put on sports tires. It leans forward when I brake, and leans to the side when I turn.?? Shame on the BMW engineers, who made this an average handling car unless you got the sports package with those awful tires.

I hate transmission lag, and I hate that this is a "software-controlled" issue, and why do I have to keep getting updates, anyway?? It's a frikkin car, not a crappy Microsoft Windows computer, or is it?

I have a suggestion:? Make the mechanical bits all hardware, like the cars of old.? Make the driving experience not software controlled, but make the entertainment bits flashy and software

controlled.

My lease is up in 2 1/2 years, and I am already thinking what I shoud buy next.? A 4 door M3 perhaps? Bring it on, but please, BMW, don't piss me off.
[snapback]153460[/snapback]

I have my 545i for 2 weeks now and I also feel the idle vibration through the driver's seat.
Have you had a software upgrade to fix this yet?