E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

6 month impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

I have now had my 545 for over 6 months, and I think it is really a love/ hate relationship. I loved the last 5 series, but this one still has me wondering...was this the right choice?

Loves:

325 hp, navigation, and the prestige, all in a price that is still a lot lower than a base 911 that does not even come with placemats. Plus, I can justify this to my wife because I can put car-seats in the back, and I can still fool myself in thinking tI am not an old fart because it is not an S500. Overall, it really is a better car than the last 5 series, but while that car was head and shoulders above the competition, this one is not so obviously superior.

Hates:

Okay, here it comes. The car has a low vibration at idle that I feel in the seat of my pants. I hate that.

I have an automatic, and it is slow off the line, and yesterday I got smoked by a 330 coupe at a light because he popped the clutch. I hate that.

My navigation DVD makes crunchy loud noises.

I decided not to get the sports package because of the run-flat issue, and that was a big mistake. This car rides a bit like a boat, even though I put on sports tires. It leans forward when I brake, and leans to the side when I turn. Shame on the BMW engineers, who made this an average handling car unless you got the sports package with those awful tires.

I hate transmission lag, and I hate that this is a "software-controlled" issue, and why do I have to keep getting updates, anyway? It's a frikkin car, not a crappy Microsoft Windows computer, or is it?

I have a suggestion: Make the mechanical bits all hardware, like the cars of old. Make the driving experience not software controlled, but make the entertainment bits flashy and software controlled.

My lease is up in 2 1/2 years, and I am already thinking what I shoud buy next. A 4 door M3 perhaps? Bring it on, but please, BMW, don't piss me off.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:54 AM
Contributors

KenTO:
Thanks for the insight after six months. I am about 18 months into my 545i. I am lucky that I have avoided most of your "hate" list issues - No vibrations, I have the manual transmission, no nav & I have the sports package. My "love" list is way longer than my "hate" list. Outside of some software issues in the past, I have had a great experience with my car. Thanks again, good stuff.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Go for the new 550iA.

No 330Ci can match that.

You could also try to learn to use the break/gas pedal for faster acc.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

KenTO, Have you upgraded the software? The transmission behaves so much better with more recent releases. I doubt a 330 would get the jump on my 545i, especially in manual or DS. However, the DSC/DTS has bugged me on a few occasions, so disable it (press & hold) if you think you are going to goose it.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

Your experiences mirror mine almost completely. i posted last week, "A sorry tale" in which I recounted the exact same disappointment with the non sports suspension. I found that it really put me off taking the car by the scruff of the neck as she so clearly struggled in the corners.

In the end, after 12 months I swapped for a 645 ci, same performance but MUCH better handling, lower, much less lean and an additional sport button on the transmission that tightens up steering response and quickens shifts even more than DS setting.

Would this be an option for you???

If interested I could write more on the comparitive driving experience..

Jonboy
Old 07-27-2005, 11:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

Thanks for all the advice. I was just venting, sometimes you have to get all out, and then you feel better.

Part of the problem is my expectations, I really expect this to be the perfect car, better than anything else on the road bar none. I think my expectations are unrealistic. No car would fit the bill. Knowing me, I would probably complain about gas mileage in a Ferrari

I have always driven a standard, and I find an automatic takes a while to get used to. I am exerimenting with hitting the gas and applying the brake, but I find I can't really get the RPM's up to 3000, it seems the car won't let me. The other thing I tried that doesn't work is applying gas in neutral, getting the RPMs up and then shifting into gear. Again, the car wouldn't let me shift into D.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Ouch! Don't drop shift an auto. Bad things can happen and hopefully BMW software will protect it anyway because of the brake interlock. Brake torque is o.k., if you don't over do it, maybe up to 2500 rpm. You must disable DSC/DTC to brake torque or the computer will limit you.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 550745540

Sounds like some of your hates are what drove me to give up on my 745 and replace it with a 545. I think the BMW V8 is one of the sweetest engines on the planet. But with an auto tranny (like the one in the 7) it's just a layer of something (like molasses) between you and that fine engine. Ultimately my 7 was a driving disappointment.

My new 5 is much better. Mind you I have the sports pak, active steering and active roll stabilization. This is what I expect from a BMW.

You sound like you might have enjoyed car a bit more if you had ordered some options to make car handle better. I know it worked for me.

Good Luck.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:39 PM
Members

I think Joebel is right on the money regarding BMW's V8...it is so sweet. While BMW tries to build an auto transmission that uses the engine to it's fullest, I think really the only way to utilize the engine to it's fullest capacity is with a manuel trans (or SMG). Frankly, I am willing to sacrifice that extra bit of power for the convenience of an auto....but that's just me. I find the manuel mode of steptronic to be almost as satisfying as a manuel anyway.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Members

Learn the Phrase----DSC OFF!!!

I always turn mine off as part of my Start up Routine.

1.) Turn Car on

2.) Push I-Drive Safety Message Away

3.) DSC OFF

4.) Laugh at Error Message like I am doing something wrong to the car by turning off DSC

5.) Drive & Smoke 90% of cars on the Road (Manual or Auto)

Sorry to hear that you don't have the Sport Package, it makes a HUGE difference!!

Quick Reply: 6 month impressions