5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   $55K & no off button (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/55k-no-off-button-86795/)

juniorbmw 10-04-2009 05:24 AM

$55K & no off button?? :(

I?ve written on this issue before, but it is disappointing that I spend $55K for a ?05 530i & there is no off button for the radio/CD!!

The response I got from this before was that ?mute is the new off?.

However, I?ve noticed, then when I do mute the button, especially after the last idrive software flash, the radio information is still displaying as the songs are played, i.e. radio station, artist name & song. And with the CD, the play information also displays at the bottom.

And I?ve noticed in other cars that have an ?off? button, when you turn off the radio, and exit the car, the next time you enter the car, the radio remains off until you turn it on again.

However, in this case, I hit the mute button, and when I get in the car the next time, the radio or CD is on when I start the car.

Has this changed with the new model 530's? :huh:

As I was eyeing a new ?10 535xi, I?d like to know this has changed, and now I?m even leerier about making the plunge to a new 5 series, as I?m reading on this board the E60 is going to be replaced??!!

I have 46K miles on mine, and I can drive it for a few more years, it?s still a fun car to drive, and I don?t really have to jump into a new year model just for the features of the ipod interface, folding mirrors and possibly an off switch for the radio. :cool:

Any thoughts on this, thx.

turboawd 10-04-2009 05:38 AM

its not like the radio is its own system. its integrated with the i-drive, so "turning it off" is not so easy.
dont let it bother you so much.

jm545i 10-04-2009 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by juniorbmw' post='1024228' date='Oct 4 2009, 09:24 AM
However, in this case, I hit the mute button, and when I get in the car the next time, the radio or CD is on when I start the car.

Has this changed with the new model 530's? :huh:

Once muted, stays muted, even on a restart. If playing an MP3, pauses in place until un-muted.

If you don't want to look at the radio display, bring it back to the main menu.

SCardamon 10-04-2009 05:56 AM

One day Junior, you will grow to be a man and not make silly comments like this....

Just kidding man, don't respond with a rant please :)

porsche911targa 10-04-2009 06:08 AM

You may call it the "mute" button, but for all intents and purpose it shuts off the radio. Try this, when playing a CD, press the "mute" button and see if the CD keeps on playing. The answer is no, it does not keep on playing. The "mute" button is therefore an "off" button with the benefit of showing what else the radio station is playing in case you want to hear the song. AS others have suggested, you can always switch to main menu if you don't want to see what the radio is playing or you could just shut off the LCD display.

E60714 10-04-2009 06:24 AM

What I do is hit the button and turn off the screen (it's one of my steering wheel shortcuts) and nothing bothers me. I too used to wonder why "mute?". Then I just figured out it didn't really matter. I stopped listening to mainstream music on the radio and just have my iPod plugged in to the car and use the steering shortcuts to scroll the songs and playlists. The occasional instance where I do listen to AM radio for sports, "mute"'s no problem.

Don't let this silly misnomer prevent you from getting a 535, or any other BMW.

poleposition 10-04-2009 06:43 AM

they havent changed it so youre right, you shouldnt look to buy a new one just yet. Remain leery

Rudy 10-04-2009 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by E60714' post='1024253' date='Oct 4 2009, 10:24 AM
What I do is hit the button and turn off the screen (it's one of my steering wheel shortcuts) and nothing bothers me.

Oh boy, how long will it be before we hear about how turning the screen off really doesn't turn it off? ;) :P

pitchar 10-04-2009 09:10 AM

The CD player is different. I listen to books on CD's and when you turn off the car with the CD running, when you turn it on again, it restarts 3 minutes later. It's as if the CD player plays for three minutes after the car is turned off.

vkhong 10-04-2009 09:18 AM

Mute is the new off.

The audio system is designed to stay on and scan for the strongest FM and AM signals at all times, for your static-free radio enjoyment. The audio system does go to sleep after the car and turned off after 20 minutes or so, when the lights on the interior switch buttons turn off.

I think your mute status may have been stored in your personal settings in your car key. Try inserting your car key to position 1 (or press Start without depressing the brake pedal), recall your settings, mute your audio system, and save your settings.