E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i with sport package and active steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Infiniti G 35 Coupe Honda Accord Hybrid Chevrolet Suburban Dodge Ram Pickup '93 Volvo project car

Next Thursday, I will finish negotiations with competing dealers in my area and will order an ED 550i. I am ordering SP with AS but have some reservations, mainly because of some threads with negative comments on the combination in the E60 and Bimmerfest Forums. One alternative would be the stock suspension but I don't think I'd want to buy this car with stock suspension and wheels! Could members comment with your impressions of the combination? Thanks.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

YOu gotta get sport suspension... if you have to give up somthing give up Active Steering.

But why not get both? Whats so "negative" that you've heard? I know its not the "BEST" "Hence the M5 doenst have AS" as many said... but both options together is fine...
Old 07-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

SP and AS = Great.

I drove my cousin's e39 528 two weeks ago, and the steering wheel felt rather heavy. I'm so glad that AS was included with SP in 2005.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Samplemaven' post='311297' date='Jul 15 2006, 06:22 PM
Next Thursday, I will finish negotiations with competing dealers in my area and will order an ED 550i. I am ordering SP with AS but have some reservations, mainly because of some threads with negative comments on the combination in the E60 and Bimmerfest Forums. One alternative would be the stock suspension but I don't think I'd want to buy this car with stock suspension and wheels! Could members comment with your impressions of the combination? Thanks.
I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter in the slightest what anyone else thinks or posts as they're not going to be driving my car. Take a test and see what feels best to you. With AS in particular it's something that seems to polarize opinion. Personally I love it, I had it on my 545 but not on my 550 - and I regret not having it wish I had ordered it again - whereas others don't care for it. I don't understand the negative comments, those that don't like it don't understand the positive comments .
Old 07-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by swajames' post='311304' date='Jul 15 2006, 06:49 PM
and I regret not having it wish I had ordered it again
Really? WOW... others have said they had it on the 545 and didnt get it on the 550 and they were much happier... LOL So sounds like it really is all personal preference...

As said gotta just got test drive it and decide for yourself.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Members

My Ride: Infiniti G 35 Coupe Honda Accord Hybrid Chevrolet Suburban Dodge Ram Pickup '93 Volvo project car

Thanks guys. These are really the kind of encouraging comments I like to hear. I have driven almost every combo with the 550i except SP with AS (I haven't been able to find that combo). I became concerned when a 530 with the SP and AS combo felt a lot smoother than the 550 SP without AS. I may have just had a moment of clarity...is it the AS that made the 530 ride so much better than the 550 with SP only?

I guess there are two issues that concern me: 1) Run Flat tires and the noise potential of the tire and 2) the 550 I drove with the SP but without AS felt a lot harsher and not as smooth as the 530 with SP and AS.

I am of the opinion that the SP with AS combo is the only way to go, but with a $70k purchase, I am probably over thinking any possible problems with the combo.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Contributors

One question... are you sure the 530 SP and AS you drove and the 550 SP non-AS you drove, the only difference was Sport package? Did the cars both have Dynamic Drive?
Old 07-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

I agononized a bit over the AS before ordering my 550, but in the end decided I liked how it drove, and I don't regret it one bit. I think the Sport Package is a must on the 550....the handling with sport vs non-sport is so much better. As for the run-flats, don't worry about them. The Bridgestone Potenzas are not any noisier than the Continentals I had on my 530, and the ride is just fine. That being said.....probably a little early, I will replace the RFs with a high performance non RF. But don't let that tire scare you away. Make every effort to find a sport package with AS that you can test drive.....more than once, and at different speeds. Then, make up your mind based on what YOU like best.......AND then, enjoy the heck out of the car....I do
Old 07-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

I have the sport package and active steering on my 545. Sport package is a must have option. Active steering is a matter of preference. Personally I like it a lot. BMW improved it with the continuing software upgrades. I have driven BMW 530's as loaners without it and I missed the active steering. However it is a personal preference that is best resolved by test drives.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Members

I don't know if the cars had dynamic drive or not. I feel a lot better about my choice and will not worry anymore about run flats either. I'm sure they will be fine. My Infiniti G35 Coupe sounds like I'm driving with snow tires and I don't want my 550i to resemble the sound in any way. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: 550i with sport package and active steering