E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i One Year Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I?ve owned the 550i for one year (and 3 weeks), and this amazing machine continues to exceed my expectations, more now than ever. Each and every day it puts a smile on my face ? one cannot ask any more of a car.

The 550i is effortless power and grace. And for a luxury sedan, BMW still manages to make this a drivers car: the seating position is absolute perfection; the steering is alert and quick (even without Active Steering); the brakes rock-solid and confident; the overall handling and balance make this somewhat large sedan feel much, much smaller. And the chassis, well, it?s a BMW and that means it will tell you everything you need to know and it will do everything you ask of it.

And then there is that power plant. Oh my. I still scare myself with it. That thing is so smooth and silky that you sometimes forget how much power is there ? right now. When you curl your toes on the go pedal, you better pay attention and have lots of open road ahead.

This car is such a superb performer that I don?t think it has any glaring weaknesses. Sure, the iDrive is slow to start-up and sometimes the response to an input can be sluggish. But, overall, the iDrive is an excellent tool that is easy to learn and I love having such a pure-looking interior, uncluttered with tons of small buttons.

And while the Steptronic transmission sometimes makes some odd moves (like that last-second surge as you pull up to a stop), in DS or manual modes it usually manages things quite well. I think it is very well matched to the engine.

The overall quality of the build and engineering of the 550i, so far, has been excellent. I?ve been in for service twice in the first year, both times to change the oil. And on the recent 12-month service they also changed the steering sensor, even though I never had any problems. Oh, and the only thing that has failed is the fuel door springy-thing mechanism. It?s been replaced.

When the weather gets cold, there are some occasional creaks from the dash or door frames. But this car is so Lexus-like quiet that usually the only annoying sound I hear is the clanking of the zipper pulls on my Tumi briefcase. I?ve resorted to leaving it in the trunk.

On the rough idle front, I rarely notice it at start up, but when it happens it?s gone within 15 seconds, so that?s no big deal.

I know I still haven?t touched the limit of what this car can do ? I?m not a good enough driver and I?m not fearless enough to go much past 8/10ths. But even at that level, the 550i is a truly excellent machine. The way most of us drive most of the time, the 550i is way more car than required. Is there another sedan, outside of the M5, that provides such a capable, all-around package?

What next? I may tighten up the handling a bit with thicker front and rear sway bars, and maybe strut tower braces front and rear too. And once Dinan puts together an end-to-end package with a cold-air intake, wide throttle body, free flow exhaust, and hopefully a bit of computer tuning, I?m sure I won?t be able to resist the extra power and enhanced sounds.

My family and friends think I?m nuts about this car. Well, I am.
Attached Thumbnails 550i One Year Review-birthday4.jpg  
Old 11-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

That's a great post. Always good to hear. Keep on enjoying it. Looks like you keep it in mint condition too, which is nice considering you live in Chicago where the weather can be nasty at times.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tachyon,
You just speaks for me, too
550i is the optimal creature for fuel economy, power, handling, fun, etc.

To be honest, 550i is the best car I've ever owned. Well my other cars were crappy compared to this car: Buick Century 3.8L, Honda Accords 86 and 90, Toyota Solara SE 3.0, Lexus RX330, BMW 530i.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:36 AM
Members

My Ride: Jan 06 Delivery, 2006 550 Sport , silver gray metallic, clear bra, black leather, step, active steering, comfort seats, logic 7, Nav, head-up display, comfort access, satellite, anthracite trim and headliner, M-body kit, electric sun shade, split fold down rear seats, Hard Wired BEL STi Driver Radar/Laser Detector.

Tachyon, great post! You have mirrored my feelings to a tee! I've had my 550 11 months and have truly enjoyed the experience with this car. People still comment almost on a daily basis about the sleekness and the absolute beauty of the car. The M-kit is a jaw dropper. It has been a sheer pleasure to drive every day!

Enjoy...
Old 11-03-2006, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

I have only a measly 535d SE but I can entirely sympathise with the feelings motivating this post.

Nice one!

ABC
Old 11-03-2006, 06:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Orient Blue

Well said! Car looks beautiful and you can tell that you're totally enjoying it!
Old 11-03-2006, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Well said tachyon. The only thing you forgot to mention is how much the existence of this forum has contributed to your rewarding experience with the car!
Old 11-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Members

550i with auto is fine...but I prefer 545i with manual...
Old 11-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Nice writeup. Glad you like the car and I feel exactly the same way. I love it too. I'll post my 1 year review soon.

A few quick commments.

I love the car more now than when I first got it. Loved it then. Its never ceases to thrill or impress in different ways. My wife really digs it too.

Its cool when a complete stranger says out of the blue, "nice car man, how do you like it." My response, "its great and I highly recommend that you get one."

CVT Benhogan
Old 11-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Members

My Ride: I GOT A 2007 TITANIUM GRAY/AUBURN LEATHER 545I 6SPD MANUAL. COLD WEATHER PACKAE, PREMIUM, PREMIUM SOUND LOGIC 7, SPORT.

Great Post and very well put...
I have had my 550i 6 SPD for about 5 month after i got rid of my 545i 6SPD. The car is day and night between the 545, but i wish we had better roads here ( New York), and more space to enjoy it even more!!!

Quick Reply: 550i One Year Review