E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i cat inefficiency code anyone ever replaced one ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 07:59 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 550i sport
Default 550i cat inefficiency code anyone ever replaced one ?

So my 08 550i keeps coding on cat inefficiency. I have not verified that is is the cat but I am thinking it’s very possible. It looks like a major pita to replace has anyone ever done it ?
Old 06-02-2022, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 194 Likes on 189 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Did you run an I/M readiness? If so, what are the O2 sensor readings?
Old 06-02-2022, 08:12 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by donpb
Did you run an I/M readiness? If so, what are the O2 sensor readings?
I have a Foxwell scan tool. When I looked at the live data quickly a week or so ago it wasn’t clear to me. I plan to look again with inpa and see what the sensors are doing.
Any advice on verifying what the issue may be. I recall a video that liked at all 4 02 sensors pre and post cat and the post sensors should be fairly stable once warm. I couldn’t figure out how to do that with the foxwell scanner.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:19 AM
New Members

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

FWIW, my $10 (maybe $5?) Torque Pro app and $12 Bluetooth OBD dongle give me great O2 sensor graphing capabilities.

Before I'd replace a cat (ouch) I'd try replacing the downstream (post-cat) O2 sensor. Its only job is to report on how well the cat is performing, and the sensors can (and do) wear out. Plus, it a WHOLE lot cheaper and easier than swapping a cat.

Additionally, if your car has any kind of history of misfires or burning oil (changed that oil separator lately?) it can pile enough crud on the cat's grids to render it inoperable, or even plug it up to the point the car will barely run. If that might be the case, fix the problem, and do some road miles, with a couple "Italian tuneups" (full throttle runs to get the cat good and hot, which can help clear the build-up). There are fuel additives that are supposed to help clear this kind of thing, and there are reviews from a whole lotta people who claim that they worked for them. Maybe just snake oil, but cheap and easy.
Old 06-04-2022, 09:09 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by habbyguy
FWIW, my $10 (maybe $5?) Torque Pro app and $12 Bluetooth OBD dongle give me great O2 sensor graphing capabilities.

Before I'd replace a cat (ouch) I'd try replacing the downstream (post-cat) O2 sensor. Its only job is to report on how well the cat is performing, and the sensors can (and do) wear out. Plus, it a WHOLE lot cheaper and easier than swapping a cat.

Additionally, if your car has any kind of history of misfires or burning oil (changed that oil separator lately?) it can pile enough crud on the cat's grids to render it inoperable, or even plug it up to the point the car will barely run. If that might be the case, fix the problem, and do some road miles, with a couple "Italian tuneups" (full throttle runs to get the cat good and hot, which can help clear the build-up). There are fuel additives that are supposed to help clear this kind of thing, and there are reviews from a whole lotta people who claim that they worked for them. Maybe just snake oil, but cheap and easy.
i will definitely make sure I confirm that the issue is the cat before I replace it. The car runs good and isn’t burning any oil but I do not know it’s history. Replacing the ds 02 sensor is probably a hood place to start since it is probably an original part.