E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i - Best Brake Rotor Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 550i Black/M-Tech Body Kit/SMG/Sport/Navigation/ Logic7/ Comfort Access/Matte Black Kidney Grilles (eurosportdesign) Performance Mods: None yet... Coming Soon: Upgraded Brake Rotors/Pads, Stainless Steel Brakes Lines

so I need to replace my stock brakes soon and I want to get some performance rotor/pads. I have only tracked my car once, but am interested in doing it again and would like something for better street/track performance. I won't or should I say (my wife) won't let me get a big brake kit, so I will stick to rotors and pads. here's the question...

What is the Best Brand of Rotors to buy?

What is better - Slotted or Drilled or both?

What is the best street/track Pad out there? (Not too much noise or dust)

Is there such thing as a caliper relcation kit for a bigger rotor? Is it even worth it with the stock 550 brakes?

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Hi,

I sell R1Concept rotors and many of my customers run them on this forum. They come in x-drilled, slotted or both. The pad I recommend and also used by many on this forum are the Hawk HPS pads -- better bite than OEM with less dust. These are specifically designed for people who want to track occasionally and don't want to deal with changing their pads out to a dedicated track set.

That said. The difference between slotted or drilled? Personally for track use I go with a slotted rotor. Drilled rotors have been known to crack around the holes. Both to me is for looks only.

As for pricing, here's what you're looking at

R1Concept Rotors Eline Drilled/Slotted/Both
Front - $175/pair
Rear - $160/pair

Hawk HPS Pads
Front - $100
Rear - $75

There are some people who have swapped to the 550i brake setup but I honestly don't know if it makes that much of a difference. Hope this answers some of your questions.

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 12-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

I run the R1 premium rotors (drilled) with Hawk HPS pads all around on my car. They are very nice to look at as well as having great bite. I chose the drilled-only version because it is easier on the pads as well as looking more like M5 rotors. Oh, and did I mention NO brake dust? Thanks Michael, I love my set up.

As soon as my extended maintenance runs out on my 7-series, I am getting the exact same combo on it as well. I HATE dealing with brake dust every time I have to wash the mesh wheels. OEM pads are crap! If it weren't for the Sonax wheel cleaner, it would drive me f'ing crazy.