E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i 6-Speed Manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TObmw' post='485281' date='Oct 23 2007, 09:11 PM
Unable to locate any 535i or 550i manuals in entire Greater Toronto Area. Was told by at least 3 dealerships that I would have to special-order the car. Hate buying a car without at least having the opprtunity to test drive it ( or something approximating it at least).
If you like the 545's stick, don't even think twice. You will LOVE the new short-throw on the LCI 550.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:14 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by FRANK970' post='483624
This is one of the great things about almost all BMWs, you get the choice of a manual or an automatic transmission. Not all car manufacturers give you that choice. With either choice you get a great car!

+1 and +1 again. The quality of the Steptronic 6-speed box ix such, that you are going to get a great car and a great drive anyway. Sure, there is that much more pleasure to be had from the stick, but it sure does depend on where you're going to be driving the thing most of the time. I used to get home every evening with an aching left foot from all the clutchwork on our highways (I mean parking lots!) here, so opted for the Steptronic when I went into my E39. As much as I do miss the ability to shift manually on country roads, the Steptronic in the E39 did not disappoint, and the one in the E60 is even better.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='485151' date='Oct 23 2007, 01:38 PM
More than reverse-snob appeal, it utterly astounds people to casually look into (or ride with you) and realize that you are SHIFTING with a clutch, a luxury car. Aboout that time I point out the speedometer and note that all those numbers aren't there for symmetry either.

Americans are marketing educated to think that chicken hood decals and scoops are what makes a sports car a sports car. Not until they've studied the masters (BMW, Porsche) and learn about upgraded suspension, brakes, as well as speedometers do they understand that it takes more than badges, decals and big tires and HP numbers.

I have driven a 550 and 650 with paddles and wasn't impressed. I want what I want when I want it--even though I still miss 4th for 2nd occasionally! Were I commuting in SF on NYC or other stop-and go lands, I might think differently. But to me, it's second nature that all my vehicles (including 2 wheeled) require owner operation of the transmission.

Ray
Very well put. One of the attractions towards BMW for me is the manual tranny offering. Stuttart and Ingolstadt make great cars but dont offer a manual tranny in the US. I drive in Los Angeles traffic and honestly the clutch does not bother me. The involvement with the car makes me a safer driver. And I enjoy the process.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Members

wow...some great comments, i really appreciate all the input. as the time draws nearer (my car ports 11/9) i am getting that much more jazzed about the upcoming experience with the car and the 6-speed manual. will post some pics thanks to all!
Old 11-09-2007, 03:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by vman' post='492072' date='Nov 9 2007, 02:34 AM
wow...some great comments, i really appreciate all the input. as the time draws nearer (my car ports 11/9) i am getting that much more jazzed about the upcoming experience with the car and the 6-speed manual. will post some pics thanks to all!
I just spent a week driving my 550 in Europe. You'll love the 6 speed.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='492126' date='Nov 9 2007, 04:15 AM
I just spent a week driving my 550 in Europe. You'll love the 6 speed.

thx...your car looks awesome...i wanted to do the euro delivery but want to take my wife and we couldnt swing this time of year we want to go in summer and i couldn't wait that long, hopefully next time. i wanted to ask, though, it looks like you got the new headrests which i noticed last week at a local dealer. the early model year build headrests look different where they had the old airplane 'wings' on part of the headrest, the new ones look one-piece and larger...do they still contour like the old ones?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vman' post='492205' date='Nov 9 2007, 11:57 AM
thx...your car looks awesome...i wanted to do the euro delivery but want to take my wife and we couldnt swing this time of year we want to go in summer and i couldn't wait that long, hopefully next time. i wanted to ask, though, it looks like you got the new headrests which i noticed last week at a local dealer. the early model year build headrests look different where they had the old airplane 'wings' on part of the headrest, the new ones look one-piece and larger...do they still contour like the old ones?
Thanks. Yes, you can fold out the sides just like the old headrest. My ED was a blast, but I definitely got lucky on the weather.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='492407' date='Nov 9 2007, 04:32 PM
Thanks. Yes, you can fold out the sides just like the old headrest. My ED was a blast, but I definitely got lucky on the weather.

nice, thanks...did you know that too or were you surprised when you saw the headrest was different?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vman' post='492416' date='Nov 9 2007, 08:54 PM
nice, thanks...did you know that too or were you surprised when you saw the headrest was different?
There was a thread on it around the beginning of September. I was surprised then, as it was an unexpected change, and I already had the car on order.

On the upside, the new headrest design performs much better in crash tests. It's a big improvement.

The downside of ED is that you spend too much time on websites like this to pass the time waiting. I started this process in April, and I likely won't see my car again until Christmas.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Members

I would really love to have a manual shift BWM, but in Southern California rush hour traffic it would wear me out having to push the clutch hundreds of times on the commute home.

Quick Reply: 550i 6-Speed Manual