E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i 6-Speed Manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by E1142860' post='483678' date='Oct 19 2007, 04:29 PM
It's kind of a reverse snob appeal to get a manual transmission on a $70k car.
I think that's right!
Old 10-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

More than reverse-snob appeal, it utterly astounds people to casually look into (or ride with you) and realize that you are SHIFTING with a clutch, a luxury car. Aboout that time I point out the speedometer and note that all those numbers aren't there for symmetry either.

Americans are marketing educated to think that chicken hood decals and scoops are what makes a sports car a sports car. Not until they've studied the masters (BMW, Porsche) and learn about upgraded suspension, brakes, as well as speedometers do they understand that it takes more than badges, decals and big tires and HP numbers.

I have driven a 550 and 650 with paddles and wasn't impressed. I want what I want when I want it--even though I still miss 4th for 2nd occasionally! Were I commuting in SF on NYC or other stop-and go lands, I might think differently. But to me, it's second nature that all my vehicles (including 2 wheeled) require owner operation of the transmission.

Ray
Old 10-23-2007, 04:21 PM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='483614' date='Oct 19 2007, 03:55 PM
Everyone here is probably sick of hearing me talk about driving manual transmission cars (and btw, the new 550's is especially sweet). But like you, it has nothing to do with the pure speed of shifting. I know that the new automatics can do that faster than I can. It's the literal connection with the car through the stick and third pedal that make manuals so much fun for me. No auto-manual or SMG can do that. It's the difference between driving a car and just steering one.

And can you imagine - a $70K, family-sized luxury car with a stick!!! God, I love BMW for doing that!
+1
Totally agree. For me, it's about the driving experience, not how fast the car will shift.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='483614' date='Oct 19 2007, 12:55 PM
Everyone here is probably sick of hearing me talk about driving manual transmission cars (and btw, the new 550's is especially sweet). But like you, it has nothing to do with the pure speed of shifting. I know that the new automatics can do that faster than I can. It's the literal connection with the car through the stick and third pedal that make manuals so much fun for me. No auto-manual or SMG can do that. It's the difference between driving a car and just steering one.

And can you imagine - a $70K, family-sized luxury car with a stick!!! God, I love BMW for doing that!

Here Here... take a bow!! I couldn't have stated it better myself!! THANK YOU BMW for having the stick in the 535!! My dealer thought I was a bit nuts...but after all, this IS the "Ultimate DRIVING Machine"!!

Now you have to be sure to remove the CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) so you can drive it like a normal manual!!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6-speed, jet black on black, sport package, dynamic handling package (active handling and active steering), electric rear and manual side sunshades.

Unable to locate any 535i or 550i manuals in entire Greater Toronto Area. Was told by at least 3 dealerships that I would have to special-order the car. Hate buying a car without at least having the opprtunity to test drive it ( or something approximating it at least).
Old 10-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by TObmw' post='485281' date='Oct 23 2007, 06:11 PM
Unable to locate any 535i or 550i manuals in entire Greater Toronto Area. Was told by at least 3 dealerships that I would have to special-order the car. Hate buying a car without at least having the opprtunity to test drive it ( or something approximating it at least).

I hear you TO...drive the auto 535 and if you like it (and since you like shifting) then you can probably figure it's safe to order the manual trans...I too had to order mine because of the manual tranny - none to be found locally.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='483614' date='Oct 19 2007, 12:55 PM
It's the difference between driving a car and just steering one.
AMEN!!! Like I've said before ... I'd rather drive the car rather than have the car drive me.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Contributors

I will take Euro delivery in a couple of weeks on a manual 550i sport. I purposely ordered a stick even though the dealer did not have one to test drive. Memories of driving my manual 633 csi years ago was enough for me. It was a pure joy to drive. Having had mostly automatics since then (from mini vans to 8 passenger SUVs) I can't freeking wait to 'feel the thrill' again !
Old 10-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

I'm one who switched from an E39 M5 6 speed, to a 650i 6 speed, to an '08 550i with the SAT. I really like it so far and glad I made that choice.

I was one who really enjoyed shifting in the M5. I searched hard for a 6MT in the 650i but after driving it for a while I just didn't get the same enjoyment. I think the clutch delay valve and all the electronics screw up the experience. I just could NOT get a consistent smooth launch with the 650i in a year of trying. One thing I noticed was the brake assist holds the brake on even a slight grade too long. I could come off the brake and clutch, and count to 2 before the brake would release. By then I either stalled the car or looked like a newbie driver jerking the car when the brake releases, the RPMs jump, and it surges forward. I took the car in for service several times. Nothing was found wrong and nothing was resolved. They also said any removal of the CDV would void any possible clutch warranty. Plus there is the ever growing Charlotte traffic and all the idiots who creep along at 5 mph, too slow to fully come off the clutch and go when behind them.

On the other hand, the Sport Auto is smooth and easy when you want it to be, fast and responsive when wanting to have fun, and as fun to play with using the paddles as manual shifting is. I vary between normal auto mode, sport mode, and full manual all the time. Tapping (towards you) the shifter for gear changes when taking off is just as fun as rowing an H pattern.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:53 PM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='485715' date='Oct 24 2007, 07:13 PM
I'm one who switched from an E39 M5 6 speed, to a 650i 6 speed, to an '08 550i with the SAT. I really like it so far and glad I made that choice.

I was one who really enjoyed shifting in the M5. I searched hard for a 6MT in the 650i but after driving it for a while I just didn't get the same enjoyment. I think the clutch delay valve and all the electronics screw up the experience. I just could NOT get a consistent smooth launch with the 650i in a year of trying. One thing I noticed was the brake assist holds the brake on even a slight grade too long. I could come off the brake and clutch, and count to 2 before the brake would release. By then I either stalled the car or looked like a newbie driver jerking the car when the brake releases, the RPMs jump, and it surges forward. I took the car in for service several times. Nothing was found wrong and nothing was resolved. They also said any removal of the CDV would void any possible clutch warranty. Plus there is the ever growing Charlotte traffic and all the idiots who creep along at 5 mph, too slow to fully come off the clutch and go when behind them.

On the other hand, the Sport Auto is smooth and easy when you want it to be, fast and responsive when wanting to have fun, and as fun to play with using the paddles as manual shifting is. I vary between normal auto mode, sport mode, and full manual all the time. Tapping (towards you) the shifter for gear changes when taking off is just as fun as rowing an H pattern.
I too came from an E39 M5 and find pluses and minuses between the 2 models. The hill assist just takes some timing. I can usually get it right, but mostly place in neutral when stopped. As far as the CDV goes, it is a replacement versus a removal and unless they removed it and look inside, there is no way of telling it has been gutted. As for Charlotte traffic, the few times I have been there, I would agree with you. I will be there again in a few weeks, but flying and cabbing. I have not driven a SAT but can't imagine it being like manual shifting. And, it is difficult to really dislike any type of 550i. Glad you like the SAT.

Quick Reply: 550i 6-Speed Manual