E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550i 3rd place vs. Jag and Merc.?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008 | 09:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by swajames' post='584982' date='May 20 2008, 11:44 PM
They're measuring completely different things. The slalom primarily measures transition and ability to change direction whereas the skidpad measures lateral acceleration/grip. Of the two, the slalom is more meaningful as it involves and tests more of the vehicle's suspension and handling.
I know, I know, I was grasping at straws. I just don't want to believe the jag/buick beat my car in the handling department. I'm in denial.
Old 05-20-2008 | 09:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='579440' date='May 13 2008, 08:11 AM
I don't really care how well it handles, it still looks like a Buick.

Buick Lucerne:

Holy Macro! My dream has come true! i always wanted a car that looked like a buick lucerne!
Old 05-21-2008 | 07:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I'm glad Jag is finally putting a serious competitor out there.............. now they just need to get a better exterior designer and these things might sell , still not as bad as the Lexus though.
Old 05-21-2008 | 12:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='563944' date='Apr 18 2008, 04:41 PM
I believe Motor Trend tested an '07 550i sport. I recall it finished first or second. They were enthralled with the E550's 5.5 liter 385hp motor but the 550i won everything else.

Don't know about that, but the latest Motor Trend comparison 550i finished 3rd

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans...ison/index.html
Old 05-21-2008 | 02:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='585195' date='May 21 2008, 08:01 AM
I'm glad Jag is finally putting a serious competitor out there.............. now they just need to get a better exterior designer and these things might sell , still not as bad as the Lexus though.
They have Ian Callum! The guy who designed the DB7, the Vanquish and co-designed the DB9 with Henrik Fisker. I think that what they really need is to be able to make fewer production compromises. The XF's only design blooper is the headlight setup, and they were probably more of a production compromise than a design decision (as the concept car that became the XF didn't have the same lighting setup). Callum is the real deal - he did the XK too. Hopefully it'll be less of an issue for Jag going forward as the XF looks like being a much better seller than the S-Type it replaces. Word is the new XJ (a Callum design) is going to be a stunner.
Old 05-21-2008 | 04:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='585195' date='May 21 2008, 08:01 AM
They had the ticket with the preproduction models, they looked AMAZING.

I think they didn't want to alienate the "elderly segment" that purchases Jag sedans.

Instead they went conservative and ruined the design. Too bad. Oh well the new 5 is on the horizon.

Side note: I just find it hilarious how every comparison of any car segment, the Lexus is always in last.
Old 05-21-2008 | 06:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='585666' date='May 21 2008, 08:05 PM
They had the ticket with the preproduction models, they looked AMAZING.

I think they didn't want to alienate the "elderly segment" that purchases Jag sedans.

Instead they went conservative and ruined the design. Too bad. Oh well the new 5 is on the horizon.

Side note: I just find it hilarious how every comparison of any car segment, the Lexus is always in last.

I wish Lexus did make better looking cars , I certainly admire their quality and resale, and strategically if Jag is still concerned about the the "older" segment they are doomed to failure .They need to ignite the brands image , and you can't do that with one eye on the old consumer franchise for fear of alienation..........tough to be all things to all people ............Edsel !! remember .

Cheers
Old 05-21-2008 | 06:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='585610' date='May 21 2008, 06:56 PM
They have Ian Callum! The guy who designed the DB7, the Vanquish and co-designed the DB9 with Henrik Fisker. I think that what they really need is to be able to make fewer production compromises. The XF's only design blooper is the headlight setup, and they were probably more of a production compromise than a design decision (as the concept car that became the XF didn't have the same lighting setup). Callum is the real deal - he did the XK too. Hopefully it'll be less of an issue for Jag going forward as the XF looks like being a much better seller than the S-Type it replaces. Word is the new XJ (a Callum design) is going to be a stunner.
I have complete respect for Callums pedigree as a designer , but somehow the brass at Ford just would'nt let him have enough rope on this one . I agree about the front end , but I think the rear is even worse. To me, I think the design lacks a foundation and focus , it does'nt resonate on any level , it just looks clumbsy and awkward. I'm sure he was held back from his vision for ,as you say , production issues, but that's not the mark of a company that really wants to repostion itself to compete in this segment . Now, aside from the aesthetic , the engineers appear to have nailed it .. Bravo !!
Old 05-22-2008 | 03:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='563732' date='Apr 18 2008, 01:36 PM
IN FACT, HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN AN LCI 550 SPORT IN A MAGAZINE COMPARISON TEST??? EVER???
Vindicated!!

This Edmunds test: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...7/pageId=138539 and even a prior Motor Trend test: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans...ison/index.html

both confirm what I suspected. Superior handling. BUT, my educated enthusiast friends, these test results require interpretation...For example: when the 550 gets docked points for uncomfortable seats (which it did in the MT test) you can add points to thetally since we all know they are the best in the industry and the tester was either horozontally challenged and couldn't squeeze into a sport seat, or not able to adjust the seat properly in the brief time with the car. I-drive, the gem that it is, add more points there. You see where I'm going here, in the hard core categories, accel., braking, cornering, steering feel/feedback, chassis dynamics etc., the 550 trumps all. I don't doubt the Jag is impressive but its a much newer design. We'll see how it does against the 2010 F10 555i next year.

And 4.8 sec. to 60 for the manual 550 (Motor Trend)! Wow! To get some perspective, that is 3/10ths quicker to 60 than an 08' manual M3 cabrio and they are tied in the 1/4 mile. Well done!

DRP
Old 05-22-2008 | 05:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='585995' date='May 22 2008, 04:55 AM
Vindicated!!

This Edmunds test: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...7/pageId=138539 and even a prior Motor Trend test: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans...ison/index.html

both confirm what I suspected. Superior handling. BUT, my educated enthusiast friends, these test results require interpretation...For example: when the 550 gets docked points for uncomfortable seats (which it did in the MT test) you can add points to thetally since we all know they are the best in the industry and the tester was either horozontally challenged and couldn't squeeze into a sport seat, or not able to adjust the seat properly in the brief time with the car. I-drive, the gem that it is, add more points there. You see where I'm going here, in the hard core categories, accel., braking, cornering, steering feel/feedback, chassis dynamics etc., the 550 trumps all. I don't doubt the Jag is impressive but its a much newer design. We'll see how it does against the 2010 F10 555i next year.

And 4.8 sec. to 60 for the manual 550 (Motor Trend)! Wow! To get some perspective, that is 3/10ths quicker to 60 than an 08' manual M3 cabrio and they are tied in the 1/4 mile. Well done!

DRP
Not at all, the tests you cite undermine rather than support your argument. After you said "IN FACT, HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN AN LCI 550 SPORT IN A MAGAZINE COMPARISON TEST??? EVER???" in your original post, you followed on by adding that the 550i Sport would "smoke everything". That's not really true, as the latest batch of tests are showing. The XF (for just one example) outpaced the 550i in the slalom which for the enthusiast, which most of us on here purport to be, is a much greater test of handling and agility than say a skid pad and one of the most helpful insights into overall capability and responsiveness. Across the two tests there are a number of other performance-oriented criteria where the competition matches or exceeded the BMW.

The argument that the educated reader needs to interpret the results really shows nothing more than a masterful grasp of the patently obvious, but it also forgets one thing. The editors already did that. Having interpreted the objective and subjective data they collected, the editors exercised their judgment and found the LCI 550i Sport to be behind its competition, scoring 3rd out of 4 in the two latest tests that did feature the sport model.

Your initial thread was created and predicated entirely on the premise that the German test was flawed as it featured the SE and not the Sport E60. These latest tests rectify that specific issue, and unfortunately the E60 didn't fare as well as you had predicted. I don't think anyone on this board would argue that the LCI 550i Sport isn't a fine car (and in fairness, the car you own isn't the car you're defending - both you and I had/have pre-LCI 550i Sports) but it is now a five year old design and more modern hardware is placing better in tests. Doesn't really matter what we think the F10 is or will be as we can't test it today against the competition out there right now.

Quick Reply: 550i 3rd place vs. Jag and Merc.?