E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550 Purchasing Question - M Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535xi

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, recently started posting as I'm getting closer to getting a 5.

I'm working with a dealer right now on a leftover 2008 550 with all the options I want except M-sport. Keep in mind, I'm in Canada, so the M-sport package is normally included with the 550, but deleting the package is a no cost option. Obviously, if I was ordering the car, I'd have the package included, but because it's a leftover 2008 car, I'm able to deal quite heavily on it, and take advantage of the awesome financing.

Which brings me to my question; if I take the car, can I put my own suspension (coilovers or matched shock/springs) on it and be happy? I recognize I'll be missing the headliner, door sills, steering wheel, rims, exhaust and m-tech, but my thought is that I can rectify many of those. I'll buy aftermarket rims, and keep the stockies for winter, and put the m-tech kit at some point in the future.

Will I regret it? Appreciate all your thoughts.

Hopefully, this works out and I can finally join the club!
Old 01-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krusty Clown' post='770479' date='Jan 17 2009, 05:06 PM
Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker, recently started posting as I'm getting closer to getting a 5.

I'm working with a dealer right now on a leftover 2008 550 with all the options I want except M-sport. Keep in mind, I'm in Canada, so the M-sport package is normally included with the 550, but deleting the package is a no cost option. Obviously, if I was ordering the car, I'd have the package included, but because it's a leftover 2008 car, I'm able to deal quite heavily on it, and take advantage of the awesome financing.

Which brings me to my question; if I take the car, can I put my own suspension (coilovers or matched shock/springs) on it and be happy? I recognize I'll be missing the headliner, door sills, steering wheel, rims, exhaust and m-tech, but my thought is that I can rectify many of those. I'll buy aftermarket rims, and keep the stockies for winter, and put the m-tech kit at some point in the future.

Will I regret it? Appreciate all your thoughts.

Hopefully, this works out and I can finally join the club!
If you are going to add m-tech, steering wheel, sill badges, suspension, etc. you are going to spend a fair bit of money so factor that in. There must be a 2008 550 m-sport out there in the dealer system that you can get an equally good deal on. I think the 550 m-sport suspension is great - great feel and perfect ride height. I was really glad it got it (Canadian here too). Everyday I enjoyed the anthracite headliner and all the other little M items that you are familiar with. I would have regretted not getting the m-sport. A smoking deal is great but only if you are getting the car you want.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Members

Thanks for the response.

It's a good point you raise. Unfortunately, there aren't very many 2008's to choose from, and while there seems to be a few 535i's, the 550i's seem to be pretty rare. That said, I'm also considering buying a used 2007 instead (that already has the M sport option).

Do you have a sense for how much it would cost to add a suspension and m-tech. I was thinking a couple thousand for the kit, and $1500 for a great suspension. If that's the case, I'm way better off with the discounted 2008 because they're willing to deal close to $12K to move the car.

I'll keep thinking; tough decision. Any other thoughts?

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='770490' date='Jan 17 2009, 08:29 PM
If you are going to add m-tech, steering wheel, sill badges, suspension, etc. you are going to spend a fair bit of money so factor that in. There must be a 2008 550 m-sport out there in the dealer system that you can get an equally good deal on. I think the 550 m-sport suspension is great - great feel and perfect ride height. I was really glad it got it (Canadian here too). Everyday I enjoyed the anthracite headliner and all the other little M items that you are familiar with. I would have regretted not getting the m-sport. A smoking deal is great but only if you are getting the car you want.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Contributors

I would get a 2007 m-sport over a 2008 non-m-sport, all other things being equal. As far a changing suspension goes other forum members can give you advice (many more knowledgeable people here on the suspension issue than me), but the m-sport suspension (which is available in Canada, not in the US) is a sweet ride. The car is noticeably lower and handling is fantastic without being harsh. I had people ask if I lowered the car - nope factory suspension!

It also seems to me that many people end up spending lots of time and money upgrading when just buying the car they wanted would have been cheaper and easier. Nothing against mods.....just the opposite, by all means by a non m-sport and mod it like crazy, but if what you really want is an m-sport, it's cheaper and easier just to get one (and then mod the m-sport )

It's tough to wait when it's so close you can taste it, but I really encourage you to hold out for the car you want. Deal or no deal, you are paying a big amount of money for this car, make sure it's exactly what you want, because six months from now +/- $10k won't matter and you will regret not getting what you want. Just be patient. When I was looking for my M5, I waited for about 6 months to find a used one with with less than 20k km, HUD and ventilated seats for less than $90k, in one of two colour choices...despite seeing many cars that came close, I persisted, got the one I wanted and have no regrets.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Contributors

Forgot to add......
Your m-tech and suspension (after-market) $ are probably in the ballpark, but have you priced replacing the steering wheel, anthracite headliner, door sills.
As you know the market is far from hot right now....tell your dealer to source you a m-sport at a good price and you'll buy it. I'm in Vancouver, but they pulled my M5 from an Ontario dealer.

Good luck.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Members

I've only priced out the suspension and m-tech, because those are the only things I would likely take care of. While the other things would be nice, I consider them nice to have's in that they don't direclty impact the driving eperience (i.e. they're mostly cosmetic... okay so is m-tech, but m-tech changes the whole look of the car!).

I'm going to wait and see what the deal looks like, but if it approaches $15K, it'll be hard to say no. Having said this, your advice to buy the car that I want is excellent; I just thought I could still have the car that I want by getting the non m-sport and then buy coilovers (more adjustable than any factory suspension) and the body kit.

After some of the posts, and my own considerations, I'll have to think on it...

Interestingly enough, an 07 would be cheaper, and have CPO, so it may actually be a better deal regardless of M Sport.

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='770560' date='Jan 17 2009, 11:38 PM
Forgot to add......
Your m-tech and suspension (after-market) $ are probably in the ballpark, but have you priced replacing the steering wheel, anthracite headliner, door sills.
As you know the market is far from hot right now....tell your dealer to source you a m-sport at a good price and you'll buy it. I'm in Vancouver, but they pulled my M5 from an Ontario dealer.

Good luck.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Contributors

As you know there are a million different senarios and just as many price points. From personal experience anytime I have been really clear on what I want, I generally am happy with my purchase. You will love your car no matter what you get. But like I say, it's a lot of money, so just make sure you get what you want. When I got my 550 they had just come out (Sept 05) and my choice was buy the one in the show room (see my signiture) or order one and wait 4 months to get the same car with hud/nav. I bought the car in the showroom and while I had an extra 4 months of driving my car, I always pined for the HUD/Nav so after 2 years felt the need to change my car.

If you don't care about the nice beefy "M" steering wheel, etc., and it's really just performance suspension and m-tech kit that you want, then 12k difference is probably great value....but so is a low mileage '06 or '07 M5
Old 01-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I agree with my fellow Vancouverite, the Mtech is a different driving/handling experience . You are leaving yourself short if you really want one. I would think converting a non MTECH would cost somewhere in the range of 10-12 inc wheels /tires body kit , suspension plus all the ///M hardware , with this economy someone will turn one in somewhere in Canada just keep looking.

Good luck
Old 01-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Members

I'm still going to consider the offer, but I think I'm convinced Thanks for the replies.

I'm focusing my search on a low mileage 2007, or 2008 (probably harder to find) so that I can get CPO, and still take advantage of the low interest rates. If the dealers offer is outstanding, I'll consider it very strongly. My ultimate goal wouldn't be to convert the non m-sport to an m-sport, but rather to make the non-sport as enjoyable to drive (which I still think I can do relatively inexpensively).

As to the suggestionf the M5, I would LOVE to, but I'm in an M3 right now, and I recognize that M cars are a completely different animal when it comes to gas consumption, insurance rates, maintenance, and comfort for hauling the family around.

Thanks again... appreciate the input.

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='770762' date='Jan 18 2009, 11:31 AM
I agree with my fellow Vancouverite, the Mtech is a different driving/handling experience . You are leaving yourself short if you really want one. I would think converting a non MTECH would cost somewhere in the range of 10-12 inc wheels /tires body kit , suspension plus all the ///M hardware , with this economy someone will turn one in somewhere in Canada just keep looking.

Good luck