E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550 Owners with Sport Auto with Shift Paddles How do you guys like it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I like the SAT <alot> for the reasons stated So far, though, I'm non-plussed about the paddle shifters, maybe they'll grow on me. They're not in a natural position for my hands at least. I've used them, but only by making myself do it, simpler to just nudge the shifter. Again, haven't had the car very long, and not a lot of chances to push it yet anyway, so maybe I'll change my mind. The Active Steering is great, that I can see for sure at this point -- and as Rudy et al know, I was a skeptic hold-out on that option until the end.

Cal
Old 04-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

I really like the SAT. It is a very fine smooth automatic. In sport mode the shifts are immediate but still smooth. I often use the paddles for downshifts whether in D, DS, or full manual. For standing starts, I use the shift lever. It is just like having a manual tranny and shifting 1-2 over and over again, without needing a clutch.

My only complaint is that in sport mode, it shifts 2-1 just as you are slowing to a stop. It can cause a jerk if you are in traffic and follow someone coasting to a stop.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by Ziering545I' post='565339' date='Apr 21 2008, 04:04 PM
My local dealers dont have 550Sports in stock nobody is buying these cars witht he fuel and economy these days.

I truly love the M5 its just amazing but the fuel cost and very high lease I am having second thoughts. I have a Mercedes E63 now and Porsche 911 Cabrio, I hate the AMG and I am working on getting out of the lease the car just stinks in all areas.

I know my friends brother has a BMW 335 Coupe and it has the Sport Auto and its a nice drive, I have driven it several times and I was impressed. I wonder how the 550 Sport Auto compares.
When driven sanely, the 550i can get good mileage. I got 27mpg on a trip once, averaging about 75mph.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by Ziering545I' post='565369' date='Apr 21 2008, 05:10 PM
poleposition please contact me lets meet up

...............it's not that kind of Forum , easy boy !!!
Old 04-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='565458' date='Apr 21 2008, 05:00 PM
I really like the SAT. It is a very fine smooth automatic. In sport mode the shifts are immediate but still smooth. I often use the paddles for downshifts whether in D, DS, or full manual. For standing starts, I use the shift lever. It is just like having a manual tranny and shifting 1-2 over and over again, without needing a clutch.

My only complaint is that in sport mode, it shifts 2-1 just as you are slowing to a stop. It can cause a jerk if you are in traffic and follow someone coasting to a stop.
I agree with you Richard, on the SAT and on the paddles for downshifts, that's pretty easy... but the upshifts if in manual mode don't feel right to me. If in S then you can just let the SAT do it. I have 21.1 mpg since I bought it, average ~35mph with lots of in-traffic around town,

Cal
Old 04-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='565332' date='Apr 21 2008, 03:50 PM
It is just a steptronic with paddle shifters. It is not an SMG like the M3 or M5.
Yes and no. Yes, it's not an SMG (either kind) but no, it's not "just a steptronic with paddle shifters." The SAT is more advanced than the steptronic with the ability to shift much faster in sport mode.

If you're torn between the step and the SAT and you're under 90 years old, go with the SAT...
Old 04-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

I love my SAT. When the road gets fun it is a blast. I also agree with Richard that I can get good gas milage but I must keep my foot off the throttle and strictly use cruise control on the highway. The problem is the power is irresistable!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Members

Thank for the feedback I am amazed at the MPG you guys are getting it makes the M5 seem like a funny car drinking fuel

I have an E63 AMG now and it has What AMG calls speedshift, my opinion it stinks. In M mode the upshifts are nice but the paddles are boring, on the M5 its agressive and jerky and loud I kinda like that because it adds to the cars character On my AMG its a bore. I think I hate it so much now because the AMG handles like a boat it is embarassing and the worst handling car I ever owned.

However if the SAT can compare to my AMG I will be happy for an auto box i guess. I still prefer shifting with the lever something I actually liked with my older Jaguar R's with the gate tiptronic type gearboxes never appealed to me now ytou can get a cheezy Mazda SUV or Nissan with paddles so its nothing special anymore
Old 04-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Carbon Black with Black Nasca Leather Sport Auto Transmission Active Steering Comfort Access Bamboo Anthracite wood trim Power Rear Sunshades Ventilated Seats Ipod adapter Nav Sat Premium Sound

Originally Posted by Ziering545I' post='565579' date='Apr 21 2008, 07:57 PM
Thank for the feedback I am amazed at the MPG you guys are getting it makes the M5 seem like a funny car drinking fuel

I have an E63 AMG now and it has What AMG calls speedshift, my opinion it stinks. In M mode the upshifts are nice but the paddles are boring, on the M5 its agressive and jerky and loud I kinda like that because it adds to the cars character On my AMG its a bore. I think I hate it so much now because the AMG handles like a boat it is embarassing and the worst handling car I ever owned.

However if the SAT can compare to my AMG I will be happy for an auto box i guess. I still prefer shifting with the lever something I actually liked with my older Jaguar R's with the gate tiptronic type gearboxes never appealed to me now ytou can get a cheezy Mazda SUV or Nissan with paddles so its nothing special anymore
It took me some time to get used to the paddle shifters...At first I wasn't crazy about them, but now I love them! I rarely use the SAT shifter anymore. I felt the same as you, preferring the lever shifts. Trust me, you will quickly learn to love the paddles and the lightning quick shifts.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sam530' post='565644' date='Apr 21 2008, 10:12 PM
It took me some time to get used to the paddle shifters...At first I wasn't crazy about them, but now I love them! I rarely use the SAT shifter anymore. I felt the same as you, preferring the lever shifts. Trust me, you will quickly learn to love the paddles and the lightning quick shifts.
Do the upshifts become more natural?? To me, you have to have your hand(s) "rolled" more around the wheel to execute an upshift than is natural for driving the vehicle. I'd prefer a simple one-finger action to upshift. If the paddles had been placed closer to the rim of the s/w itself that would have solved this problem. Downshifts via thumbs is simple and very natural, but I am not impressed with the upshift action, at this limited stage of trying them out.

Cal

Quick Reply: 550 Owners with Sport Auto with Shift Paddles How do you guys like it?