E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

550 @ the Autocross - WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this past saturday i finally was able to get out to the local CCA chapter autocross out in Marina, California. The 550 actually performed better than I expected and all I can say is "WOW". I was impressed at how nimble the car was and at how much it responded to my inputs. First off, we all know that the e60 is not your best bet at an auto-x, but I definitely was able to keep up with the Z's, 135s, and M3s (none to lightly modded of course). Second, I was the biggest car there, actually the only e60 there and everyone was really glad to see me bring the car out. Quite a few of the members said that it is really rare to see an e60 at the auto-x and that this season I was probably only the second e60 that they've seen. Third, the SAT could have performed better, there was one low speed turn where it kept putting me into 1st gear. This was the time i wished for a manual so I could just heel-toe to keep the car in the power band for second gear. The GGCBMWCCA chapter folks at the auto-x are great! Really friendly and we were all rooting for each other to get better times.

So here's the rundown. I had to run in the "B" class because of the HP rating. The B class has very little mods (CAI, suspension, tires). I wish I was able to run in the C class since that class is bone stock. But even though I ran B, I still still came in with the 11th fastest time. 47.066 seconds. Funny, but if I ran A or AA, I would have broken the top 10. I ran with DSC off all day as you can see from the smoking tires below. I started the first run with a 49.532 and kept getting faster except for my 5th and 6th run where I tried a different driving line. The posted times are here, just look for the B class and I'm in 11th place: http://home.comcast.net/~mgarage/autox/200...rovisional.html As you can see from the other times posted that the 550 can definitely prove itself to be a worthy participant at an auto-x. I know that I could have gotten better times, but the wife put a full tank of gas just 2 days before, so I was running with 3/4 full. Also, I didn't take everything out of car. Left in the spare tire, tools and floor mats . I was running a cold start tire pressue of 44psi all around. After the tires were up to temp they went to 47psi. I let out some air to have the fronts run hot at 45psi and the rears at 42psi to create some oversteer. I actually wish that I had the rears running at 44psi since the 42 messed with the car's balance a bit. Also, the sport contact 2 tires SUCK as far as traction. They smoke nice though!! I know that I could have shaved off another 2.25 - 2.75 seconds off my time if I was running 1/4 tank of gas, better tire inflation, pilot sport 2s and just a bit less weight by taking all the non essentials out of the car. At least I didn't embarass the e60 brotherhood and I was posting some respectable times considering the cars I was up against.

So in retrospect, I had a great time. Made some new friendships, stretched the legs of the 550 and proved to non-believers that the e60 is definitely a force to be reckoned with and is to be given its due respect!! So for all of the bay area e60 troops, hope to see you at the next auto-x in Marina on 09/20.

Here's a few pics from the day. Look at that smoke!!! You can find more pictures of the day here: http://picasaweb.google.com/PhillipChiang/...gust232008AutoX
550 @ the Autocross - WOW!-dsc_1767.jpg550 @ the Autocross - WOW!-dsc_1821.jpg550 @ the Autocross - WOW!-dsc_1822.jpg550 @ the Autocross - WOW!-dsc_1823.jpg
Attached Thumbnails 550 @ the Autocross - WOW!-dsc_1768.jpg  
Old 08-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota, Black Diamond Trim, 6sp Sport Automatic with Paddles, M-Sport Package, Premium Package

That is crazy. I did some autoX a few years back and would never think of entering my E60. Way too big. I am surprised at how well it worked. I can just imagine it fighting and bucking through the quick autoX transitions. Now the Lotus or the Mini in your picture pack I can see. And what was with the multiple occupants in all the shots. I loved the one with the guy in the backseat of the 3er convertible. Anyways, thanks for sharing your adventure. AutoX is a tonne of fun, next time try it in a car about 1500-2000lbs less and then you will have some real fun.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Good job TrevX
Old 08-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Trev, great work ! Thanks for sharing !!, geat pics
Old 08-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by FRANK970' post='653944' date='Aug 25 2008, 02:21 PM
That is crazy.....Way too big. I am surprised at how well it worked. I can just imagine it fighting and bucking through the quick autoX transitions..... AutoX is a tonne of fun, next time try it in a car about 1500-2000lbs less and then you will have some real fun.

Thanks Frank. Yeah it is kinda crazy but I told myself that I'd see exactly what the 550 is capable of on a small tight course. But the course wasn't too tight, a few nice big sweepers but also a few decreasing inside 45 degree turns also. True, too big for auto-x and I do admit that it was quite a bit of weight to throw around. You're right about the 1500-2000 lbs comment. But at least i was able to post some good times considering I'm the "husky" car out of the bunch. Next month my buddy is gonna let me drive his 335 w/ full Active Autowerks upgrades and see what times we can get out of that thing.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Members

Thanks Rizbel and Westcoast550.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I had a great road trip 2 weeks ago with my 550 .The trip was up to the Okanagan Valley , which is Wine Country here. I had the first real opportunity to see how well the car performed in a bunch of situations and I was really impressed , the other thing which was impressive was the overall comfort and ease to put several hrs behind the wheel. These really are great cars !!. One day I'll get some track time !!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='653983' date='Aug 25 2008, 12:22 PM
I had a great road trip 2 weeks ago with my 550 .The trip was up to the Okanagan Valley , which is Wine Country here. I had the first real opportunity to see how well the car performed in a bunch of situations and I was really impressed , the other thing which was impressive was the overall comfort and ease to put several hrs behind the wheel. These really are great cars !!. One day I'll get some track time !!
Darn, W550, wish I knew you were coming up and I could have asked you to bring along the rear spoiler. I should have been in closer contact with you.

Like you, I had a nice hiway run last week, to Newport, Oregon and back. About 2500kms total and the car ran flawlessly. Checked one tank from Newport to Bellingham and got 33+ MPG (converted to Cdn gals) at speeds mostly of 120+ KPH.

Good stuff.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Third, the SAT could have performed better, there was one low speed turn where it kept putting me into 1st gear.
What mode did you use....?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

thanks for sharing

Quick Reply: 550 @ the Autocross - WOW!