E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 04:08 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i

I recently purchased a new driver side rear tire because of excessive inner tread loss?

I notice a vibration in the car after I got to about 60 mph; took the car back to the tire shop they rebalanced the tire saying some of the weights had come off?

I?ve been back three times.

This last time I left the shop the vibration started at around 45 mph and was worse.

Before replacing the tire the ride quality was great.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xDrive, 6MT, M-sport pkg

Could the wheel be bent? It only takes a slight bend to create a vibration and it sometimes can only be minimized by weight balancing - not removed. Talk to your shop and see if they checked the rim out or if they just put a tire on it and tried their best to balance it.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:31 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by TheDuke
Could the wheel be bent? It only takes a slight bend to create a vibration and it sometimes can only be minimized by weight balancing - not removed. Talk to your shop and see if they checked the rim out or if they just put a tire on it and tried their best to balance it.
I asked that the second time I went back and they said the wheel was fine.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:54 PM
New Members

Any other suggestions/things I can check?
Old 07-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

bushing?
Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Members

Probably bent wheel. Had three different shops balance my last set of wheels and tires. All three said everything balanced out fine even on the road force balancer and nothing was bent. Still had vibration. Got tired of the vibration and ordered new set of wheels and tires and the ride could not be any smoother. The slightest bend can give these cars vibration.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rick504
Probably bent wheel. Had three different shops balance my last set of wheels and tires. All three said everything balanced out fine even on the road force balancer and nothing was bent. Still had vibration. Got tired of the vibration and ordered new set of wheels and tires and the ride could not be any smoother. The slightest bend can give these cars vibration.
+1
Last thing to try before new wheel is road force balancing if they haven't done that already.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

To the OP: Just out of curiosity, what wheels and tires are you running? Staggered setup? 4 matching (brand, model) tires? Runflat or standard? It seems odd that your original post said you changed just one rear tire due to inner tread wear. What about the opposite rear tire? If they were not wearing evenly, there might be some other issue (such as alignment) that is out of whack. My experience after wearing out two sets of tires (now on third set) is that the fronts and rears should wear evenly from side to side. The rears wear faster than fronts, but side to side, they wear evenly.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport 1998 M3

If the car was fine before getting the new tire, then it is the tire that is the problem. Sometimes you get a tire that is so out of round that no amount of balancing will correct for vibration. If the shop has balanced the wheel three times and you still have a problem, then they owe you a new tire. Don't be misled by the shop to investigate all kinds of other possibilities, wasting your time.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:54 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

I could be that the new tire is faulty and all the balancing in the world will not get ride of the vibration. If the wheel is definately straight, ask them to replace the new tire with another one.

Quick Reply: 545i Vibration