E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i Transmission going at 49,500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the car about a week ago and noticed that the transmission took a couple seconds to get into reverse from drive so i brought it into the dealership today. It also was shifting a bit rough. I just got a call from them and they said that the the issue is with the transmission but they are working with BMW now to decide if they can fix it with a program upgrade or weather they need to replace the entire transmission. I begged for a new tranny and i'm praying that they give me a new one.

I guess i need to reconsider my personal preferance to never buy extended warranty's. Does anyone have experience with the issue i just described or estimates of what they have paid for a warranty?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

I had a similar transmission issue with an X5 and it was fixed with a software update. As far as warranties they will have to be aftermarket since you are not the original owner. Be careful of pricing as they have limits on the amount they are willing to pay for any item. Read the contract carefully as price is not the best answer to give. Quality is the biggest concern.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by sluggoslinger' post='684774' date='Oct 3 2008, 05:23 PM
I just bought the car about a week ago and noticed that the transmission took a couple seconds to get into reverse from drive so i brought it into the dealership today. It also was shifting a bit rough. I just got a call from them and they said that the the issue is with the transmission but they are working with BMW now to decide if they can fix it with a program upgrade or weather they need to replace the entire transmission. I begged for a new tranny and i'm praying that they give me a new one.
I guess i need to reconsider my personal preferance to never buy extended warranty's. Does anyone have experience with the issue i just described or estimates of what they have paid for a warranty?
Thanks in advance
Are you working this issue with a BMW dealership? BMW transmissions in earlier V-8 models [1994-2003] are a known problem area and the remedy is often replacement with a BMW re-manufactured transmission.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='684781' date='Oct 3 2008, 02:38 PM
Are you working this issue with a BMW dealership? BMW transmissions in earlier V-8 models [1994-2003] are a known problem area and the remedy is often replacement with a BMW re-manufactured transmission.
With my old 2002 X5, when the transmission went, they would NOT replace it with anything but a new transmission. You can imagine how expensive that would have been. So I'm not sure they would replace it with a rebuilt transmission at all. Also in his favor is that he JUST bought the car, the dealership should step up and take responsibility for the repair/replacement regardless. Either way, good Luck with this matter and let us know how it turns out!
Old 10-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Members

I actually just bought the car from a non BMW dealer and sterling BMW in Newport Beach has been excelent to deal with so far. The model year is 2005 with the sport packge. It is the Auto Trans.

I'm fine with a remanufactured tranny, i just would hate to have it go at 75K miles though. we'll just see what happens. I went through the service history with the dealer today and it seemed like the car had not had many problems in the past. I just hope i don't have to go out of pocket on any of this stuff once the warranty expires...
Old 10-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Members

Well, they are putting a remanufactured tranny in and i'll have it back on tuesday. Talk about an easy place to deal with, this place is top notch. They also said i'll have a 2 year warranty on the new tranny with unlimited miles. The tech i spoke to told me that it wasn't abuse but just that it was a bad tranny and he's seen them go at 8K before. Thank you sterling BMW!
Old 10-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sluggoslinger' post='684774' date='Oct 3 2008, 05:23 PM

Thanks in advance
I own a 545i and X5 and both do the same thing. I also get a clunk when the 545i downshifts on occasion. BMW of course can't figure it out and it never does it when I take it in. As far as the warranty, not all cover the transmission. Good luck!
Old 10-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

Nice to hear a pleasant story.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gregg2gs' post='699391' date='Oct 21 2008, 07:18 PM
Nice to hear a pleasant story.
Yes, a satisfactory outcome is always good to hear.

What is NOT GOOD TO HEAR is BMW automatics (especially in V-8 models) continue to be under-engineered but over-priced.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='699420' date='Oct 21 2008, 07:38 PM
...... continue to be under-engineered but over-priced.
Sadly True, but BMW's are addictive.

Quick Reply: 545i Transmission going at 49,500 miles