E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i Sport Package Struts

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

Hey everyone - i'm just gonna B*#* for a minute, and then I have questions...

I drive a lot. I mean a LOT. The more I'm on the road, the more my car is prone to damage. Michigan roads suck.
I actively dodge and avoid potholes, bumps, take alternate routes, anything I can possibly due to protect my baby.
I had recently put new tires on my car. Shortly there after I had an "impact" bubble/blister on my sidewall of the front tire.
Changed that tire only to find a new one yesterday. Sucks. :thumbsdown:

About a month ago (post tire blister), I started noticing a cracking/strange noise from the dash, etc and came to search on the forum about it.
Turns out the verdict is the strut tower brace, etc that needs tightening (from what I understand on here).

Anyway, when I went to get that new tire put on, I asked them to peak around underneath for some clanking rattle Ive been hearing when I go over bumps.
Sounds like metal clips or like someone taking a fork to a piece of sheet metal just tapping, etc. They saw that the fluid has leaked out and all over the strut, and dried onto it, and the boot is shredded or something and some metal part in there was clankin around. Now, I dont feel a huge difference in driving although I noticed it a while ago and knew something was up, but its not that bananas where im bugging out.

Question - are there less costly solutions for parts for the sport package struts for my car, or am I about to buy a set of OEM struts?
If I change struts, should I change all four, or just the front two? Should springs be changed since all this would be happening?

Also, if someone comes across a non PDC jet black rear bumper and driver side OEM side skirt, please let me know. Ive cruised all over the classifieds and I guess the ones that were on there are gone as I got no responses.

Also, I feel like a dumba$$ asking this, but i dont know sh*@ about this stuff and this is what the place is for. I want M6 wheels/tires (19s). What are offsets? What do I need to do to put these on my car? I'm a plug and play kind of guy, and just need to know what to buy, or what to tell someone.

As always, thank you all for any feedback/replies/input, etc.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

1) I'd just replace the front struts, both of them. I wouldn't bother with springs unless they are deemed to be shot as well. It's all a matter of how much you want to spend and/or how badly the car needs stuff replaced. If you drive as much as you say, you might consider replacing the rear struts as well.

2) For M6 167 style rims, just buy them (offsets are ET12 in front and ET17 in rear). You won't have any issues as long as you get the correct sized tires..245/35/19 Front, 275/30/19 Rear.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

PM sent
Old 09-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Contributors

I feel your pain ... potholes and road ruts seem to be magnets for BMW wheels and tires. But with more cars from Corollas to Impalas being fitted with low profile tires maybe I'll start buying stock in the big tire companies.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:33 AM
JPJ
Contributors

Michigan roads do suck!

I really like my Koni struts. They have worked great with the H&R springs and 19" wheels/tires, but still feel good when the winter tires and wheels are on. Even if you aren't changing springs I would consider the Konis over stock. A perfect option for you might be the Koni FSD's -- go on tirerack.com and read their test results and reviews.

When you get the 167 wheels on you are probably going to want to go lower anyway. Eibach's are recommended with the FSD's and probably a good choice for MI roads and the amount of driving you do. If I was you, while having the labor done to replace struts, I would go ahead and do it all -- new springs and struts all around.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='669630' date='Sep 15 2008, 07:33 AM
Michigan roads do suck!

I really like my Koni struts. They have worked great with the H&R springs and 19" wheels/tires, but still feel good when the winter tires and wheels are on. Even if you aren't changing springs I would consider the Konis over stock. A perfect option for you might be the Koni FSD's -- go on tirerack.com and read their test results and reviews.

When you get the 167 wheels on you are probably going to want to go lower anyway. Eibach's are recommended with the FSD's and probably a good choice for MI roads and the amount of driving you do. If I was you, while having the labor done to replace struts, I would go ahead and do it all -- new springs and struts all around.

Hey thanks for the valuable input. What kinda costs am I looking at?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

I have two Sapphire black stock skirts that you are welcome to if you want.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='669670' date='Sep 15 2008, 09:14 AM
I have two Sapphire black stock skirts that you are welcome to if you want.

Is it totally different where I'd have to paint it? Or can I get away with it you think?