E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i oil leaks - does repair last?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 05:19 PM
New Members

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i auto
Default 545i oil leaks - does repair last?

I've been doing a lot of reading about oil leaks on the N62, especially the 4.4L. My situation is that currently the last couple of oil leaks on mine are being repaired. This is good; the mechanic who did the pre-purchase inspection is fixing them for me even though they are a fair bit more extensive than he realised. My goal was always to start with a clean slate so that if it does develop future leaks I am only dealing with one leak at a time.

One thing I read is that the updates to the 4.8 included new gasket designs. So what I am curious about is - once the oil leaks are fixed, do they tend to return again a few years later, or does replacing gaskets tend to solve each leak for the long haul? I think it is pretty extraordinary that any modern engine could develop a reputation for oil leaks.
Old 03-08-2021, 04:34 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i

Originally Posted by Anthro
I've been doing a lot of reading about oil leaks on the N62, especially the 4.4L. My situation is that currently the last couple of oil leaks on mine are being repaired. This is good; the mechanic who did the pre-purchase inspection is fixing them for me even though they are a fair bit more extensive than he realised. My goal was always to start with a clean slate so that if it does develop future leaks I am only dealing with one leak at a time.

One thing I read is that the updates to the 4.8 included new gasket designs. So what I am curious about is - once the oil leaks are fixed, do they tend to return again a few years later, or does replacing gaskets tend to solve each leak for the long haul? I think it is pretty extraordinary that any modern engine could develop a reputation for oil leaks.
I repaired practically every oil leak on my '05 545i (4.4L N62) about 3 - 4 years ago with one or two more repairs in the subsequent years. I bought it from my uncle who had it in his garage collecting dust. It was leaking oil all over the place when I got it and as a result, it was difficult at first to determine all the sources of the leak. Wanting to start off with a clean slate like you mentioned, I repaired all of the usual suspects (some turned out to not be leaking at the time). So far the repairs are holding but I don't put many miles on it yearly because I work from home even before the pandemic and there's an E46 and a F06 to devote some driving time to as well. I do drive it hard though (6-speed manual... quite fun) and I've put about 23,000 miles on it. The oil leak repairs I did were:
  • Valve Cover Gaskets (bad leak)
  • Upper Time Cover Gaskets (bad leak)
  • Solenoid Valve O-Rings
  • Alternator Bracket Gasket
  • Pressure Regulator Valves (not sure this qualifies as a leak but both of these were torn)
  • Lower Oil Pan Gasket (bad leak)
  • Oil Dipstick Tube Seal
  • Upper Oil Pan Gasket
  • Oil Pump Gasket
  • Vacuum Pump Seals - these didn't hold up so I ended up replacing the entire pump about 2 years ago. Hadn't leaked since.
I barely have to put oil in it now between changes .
Old 03-09-2021, 01:08 PM
New Members

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i auto

Thanks gfactor, that's encouraging. Be nice not to have to fix everything twice...
Old 03-24-2021, 11:30 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: lexus LS
Default 545i oil leaks - does repair last?

My 545i has 64k miles. I see it is spilling from the front upper side of the motor. Traveler side! What could it be? Also, is this a simple fix? Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox

Last edited by xazims; 03-24-2021 at 11:32 PM.