E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i Engine Clatter

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 X5 4.8i

At about 12,000 miles, I began to notice an engine clatter on acceleration. It was slight. On a service visit, I asked the dealer to check it. They told me the technician couldn't hear anything and neither could the BMW rep who was at the dealership that day. I told myself it was my imagination.

However, the clatter remained. Riding in a friend's 545i, I heard nothing. On a return visit to the dealer (for something unrelated), I told them I still thought it had a clatter. This time the technician confirmed that he heard it too. He found no faults displayed in the computer. When he disconnected the valvetronic motors, the noise went away. He pulled the valve covers and supposedly found no wear. After consulting with BMW, they replaced both cylinder heads and the valves. So far (about 500 miles), seems to be fixed. BMW specifically asked if I had been using high octane fuel, and I had - always 93 octane.

This car was built in December 2004. I know there has been some previous discussion on defective valve lifters. Not sure if this is the same problem, but I thought I would share in case others experience it.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I had this problem too. My 545 built date is 10/04 which is about the same time as yours.
Look as this thred carefully and it should give you more info on what I have done;
Long story short, after 6 month of in and out of the dealership, a dozen of call to BMWNA, the field
engineer finally suggested to replace my CAM Tensioner.

It silenced my tapping noises for 3 months and the noises have returned, albeit a little quieter than before.

If you do a search, Rody has posted the video that I stuck inside the engine bay. Good luck.

engine knocking

See also this post:

selling my 545i
Old 01-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

I think I might be noticing the same thing lately. It's not knocking or anything like that, it seems to be more of a whining/humming sound on very slow acceleration from 0. I'm not sure how to explain it...
Old 01-05-2006, 01:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Yeah, this valve tapping issue has been around for a while. I had the valvetonic levers replaced 6 months ago. The old ones were in fact built during the period where it seems they were made out of tolerance.
It has helped, but some valve tapping is still there during cold weather. It's better when warm, but not 100% in my opinion.
There is apparently for the first time a mention of a software fix for this issue in version 20. It refers to engine pinging "dieseling" noise for the N62TU ( 4.8l ) V8, but since the electronics and valvetronic system is identical to the 4.4l, it is probably recommended to have this update. I'm going in next week for it...will let you know if it helps.

Has nothing to do with octane number BTW. It is not an engine knocking issue.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:12 PM
dee
Members

My Ride: 05 545i jet blk/blk sports,sound

Originally Posted by paulwbenn' post='219272' date='Jan 4 2006, 04:03 PM
At about 12,000 miles, I began to notice an engine clatter on acceleration. It was slight. On a service visit, I asked the dealer to check it. They told me the technician couldn't hear anything and neither could the BMW rep who was at the dealership that day. I told myself it was my imagination.

However, the clatter remained. Riding in a friend's 545i, I heard nothing. On a return visit to the dealer (for something unrelated), I told them I still thought it had a clatter. This time the technician confirmed that he heard it too. He found no faults displayed in the computer. When he disconnected the valvetronic motors, the noise went away. He pulled the valve covers and supposedly found no wear. After consulting with BMW, they replaced both cylinder heads and the valves. So far (about 500 miles), seems to be fixed. BMW specifically asked if I had been using high octane fuel, and I had - always 93 octane.

This car was built in December 2004. I know there has been some previous discussion on defective valve lifters. Not sure if this is the same problem, but I thought I would share in case others experience it.

i now have have 11,500 on my 545i the noise has only gotten worse.the check engine light now goes off for high emmissions.i brought it in for the same problem last week,but the tech tells me i musta been low on gas.NOW I'M SICK AND TIRED OF THE BULLSHIT I GET FROM THEM.WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Monaco Blue w/ Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, Premium Package, Sport Package, Navigation, Active Steering, PDC

can anyone describe what this noise sounds like?? I might be having a similar problem.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:26 PM
dee
Members

My Ride: 05 545i jet blk/blk sports,sound

Originally Posted by Alex L.' post='221929' date='Jan 9 2006, 10:22 PM
can anyone describe what this noise sounds like?? I might be having a similar problem.

it's almost like a ticking noise
Old 01-10-2006, 05:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by paulwbenn' post='219272' date='Jan 4 2006, 07:03 PM

Thanks to all; I am glad to know about this potential problem.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 X5 4.8i

Originally Posted by Alex L.' post='221929' date='Jan 10 2006, 12:22 AM
On mine, it was a clacking or clicking on acceleration. I used to have a Jeep that would clatter when I used low octane fuel. Similar sound.

Mine is definitely better after replacement of the heads, but I'm not convinced that its normal. Thanks to everyone for their comments.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i - ordered in January delivered April 21st! Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple.

I thought it was the transmission??

Not to highjack the post but does anyone have lurching when the cruise is on around 35mph?