E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i Died Today

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well without any warning my 04' 545i wouldn't start this morning in my garage. It sounds like the battery is dead, the car was a little sluggish starting yesterday but I didnt think much of it and this morning it was totally dead. I checked and no lights were left on or anything else.

And I just had the car inspected by BMW Financial Services yesterday, car lease is over in less than 60 days!

I guess I'll try BMW Roadside assitance for a tow to the dealer...hopefully they'll come to my house.

- Al
Old 08-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Wow.
It shouldn't die like that. It should allways preserve enough power to restart the engine.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='324201' date='Aug 18 2006, 02:50 PM
Wow.
It shouldn't die like that. It should allways preserve enough power to restart the engine.
Eh?

Every battery will die eventually.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Contributors

yeah I thought the battery will die eventually if you overuse the power....
Old 08-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Doesn't BMW advertise that the car will preserve enough power to start or at least warn you if the battery is weak?
Old 08-19-2006, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='324304
Doesn't BMW advertise that the car will preserve enough power to start or at least warn you if the battery is weak?
Yes.
The power is monitored, and when the system recognizes that there is a leak/loss, then all systems will be shut down by the computer to preserve enough power for one more start, so that you can drive away and visit the dealer.
That's one of the reasons the car wakes up from its sleep mode sometimes, to measure everything.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:30 AM
Members

Ok, a little more information. The car had been driven over 200 miles the day before and it worked great but then I couldn't start it. So, this morning I went back to the garage to see if anything had changes. Well when I opend my door I noticed the interior lights turned on. So maybe things are better, but when I turn over the ignition the car "turns" once and then all lights dim and it wont start.

But, when the key is in the start position I tried the radio, AC/Fan, etc and even the electric seat!!! I turn it all off and try to turn on the car and again I get a very, very sluggish sound of the engine trying to turn over but no go. No idea what could be causing this.

And finally, where is the battery in the E60? In my old E46, SL55, etc the battery has been in the trunk but a quick look and I couldnt find the battery. After a glance I couldnt even spot the battery in the owners manual....where could it be?

- Al
Old 08-19-2006, 04:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by BMWFan' post='324365' date='Aug 19 2006, 01:30 PM
......where could it be?

- Al
It's a sealed unit located in the boot/trunk all right.
There are no panels to get at it because it supposedly a device that doesn't require maintenance.
Not sure what boot/trunk trim you'd have to remove to get at it though.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:25 AM
Senior Members

I think you need to remove the rear bumper to get to the battery, but I might be wrong. I was looking on M-Tech kit installation instructions, and the kit has Battery Cover part in it.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMWFan' post='324365' date='Aug 19 2006, 08:30 AM
where is the battery in the E60? In my old E46, SL55, etc the battery has been in the trunk but a quick look and I couldnt find the battery. After a glance I couldnt even spot the battery in the owners manual....where could it be?

- Al

When you open your trunk and you take a look @ the right side trunk panel behind your tail light you will see that there are 2 or 3 black round plastic push clips/screws. After you have removed those you will be able to pull out the trunk panel ( make sure that you start pulling it from behind your taillights towards the inside of the trunk so that when it comes loose it will come out towards the rear of the car ) After you have removed the panel you will see the battery. When you are done with everything just slide the panel back in place and put the black plastic screw/clips back in place to secure the panel.

That's it. I hope it helps
Rich

Quick Reply: 545i Died Today